Archived GSA or Loss Prevention?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My store has had a lot of theft recently. I have always loved my job, but in the past week, I have begun to hate it. Leadership is suddenly acting like it is the GSA's responsibility to stop theft/the GSA's fault if there is a push out on their shift. We have even been told that if there is a push out on our shift that it will be a corrective action. I think this is completely unreasonable. Obviously, if I have the opportunity I will try to prevent theft, but that is not part of my job. I am not loss prevention and that is not the only thing that I am supposed to be focusing on during my shift! This was mostly just to vent, but any advice on how to handle this situation is welcome. Is anyone else's store this way?

I've been told we as cashiers aren't allowed to go after a guest for any reason. Suspected skipped scans, paid and left, forgotten change, nothing. As @FriedTL said, just note time, guest description, register used (if applicable), and a short narrative of what we saw, and stay at our station.

My store has had a lot of theft recently. I have always loved my job, but in the past week, I have begun to hate it. Leadership is suddenly acting like it is the GSA's responsibility to stop theft/the GSA's fault if there is a push out on their shift. We have even been told that if there is a push out on our shift that it will be a corrective action. I think this is completely unreasonable. Obviously, if I have the opportunity I will try to prevent theft, but that is not part of my job. I am not loss prevention and that is not the only thing that I am supposed to be focusing on during my shift! This was mostly just to vent, but any advice on how to handle this situation is welcome. Is anyone else's store this way?

Hotline that bullshit. They know good and well that confronting push-outs is an AP-ONLY role that you have to be specifically trained and authorized for. Give HQ a call and you'll have new leaders by next week.

Responsible for what exactly???

You can't observe 4 or more guests scan and bag EVERY SINGLE item.
Apparently you should do that and confront the shady guy who has an armful of electronics and may or may not have a weapon.

Its the SCO problems thats their job why didn't you guys have a dedicated SCO TM Ambassador the store leadership should've know whos the best at recoveries and schedule them there at peak times.
Guest service the shit out of them
BOB/LISA
Be a presence
Be an example to your peers

All that will reduce theft, probably the casual opportunists, but it's not going to eliminate theft. Especially the thieves that go in with a plan. I can't see any legitimate reason for front end to be written up for not stopping a thief, especially if it would involve an actual confrontation. Look at sales floor, we suspect theft or even know there's theft and APS is gone for the day all we can do is guest service the hell out of them in the hopes of scaring them off. How can front end be expected to do far, far more and do direct confrontations to stop theft?

sco tms can’t stop a walk out. i can say, “hey, i don’t think you scanned all those items,” but i can’t physically stop them from walking out.

At my store last week was the first schedule with no GSA.We are now scheduled as SCO. But we're still supposed to make the break schedule, bank the lanes, answer cashier questions, assist Guest Service, Cafe and Starbucks, do Drive Ups, and yes, now prevent theft at SCO.

So since there's only a SCO tm, we are down a person (because no GSA), have no cashier until 10am, no cashier for the last 2 hours of the night, hardly ever a Cart Attendant, and are supposed to "engage" suspicious guests to prevent theft.

Thieves will quickly realize there's no one working early and late, so will come to steal during those times even more than they already did.

I haven't seen our AP guy working in a week!

Its the SCO problems thats their job why didn't you guys have a dedicated SCO TM Ambassador the store leadership should've know whos the best at recoveries and schedule them there at peak times.
Guest service the shit out of them
BOB/LISA
Be a presence
Be an example to your peers
It's not always possible to be present at SCO when you're the only one on the front end because there's no cashier, you're running out a drive up, and guest service needs an override...all at the same time!

At my store last week was the first schedule with no GSA.We are now scheduled as SCO. But we're still supposed to make the break schedule, bank the lanes, answer cashier questions, assist Guest Service, Cafe and Starbucks, do Drive Ups, and yes, now prevent theft at SCO.

So since there's only a SCO tm, we are down a person (because no GSA), have no cashier until 10am, no cashier for the last 2 hours of the night, hardly ever a Cart Attendant, and are supposed to "engage" suspicious guests to prevent theft.

Thieves will quickly realize there's no one working early and late, so will come to steal during those times even more than they already did.

This is the exact same situation at my store. However, we have the “assistive” self checkouts where you can’t pay with cash without the assistance of a team member. Absolute nightmare

So by the time you call AP on the walkie, if they're even in yet, the walkout is long gone. You're not expected to actually engage with the walkout are you?
Sure. We can say, can I scan these for you? We don't tell, stop thief. Lol.

Most theft prevention isn't confrontational. Just being on top of it and aware will stop a lot.

This way of staffing is such BS.

Absolutely. Rediculous.

Hopefully that was just oversight in scheduling since it was the first GSA-free week. Otherwise your schedule maker is a complete idiot. You should prevent/reduce theft at the SCO when you're in the parking lot giving Karen her order. The same Karen who probably didn't let us know she's on her way. I hope your leadership sees the errors of their ways.

So, where’s that GSTL who’s supposed to be a mid? Are they doing anything or just letting you do it all? I thought they were supposed to run the front while they were there.

As for the AP piece, I agree with @can't touch this. Hotline.

Yeah, I'd hotline that and repeat what they told you and say you want it confirmed that it's now front end's responsibility to confront guests, perform apprehensions, and follow guests to their cars if they walk out or you'll be punished. DTL will probably be there holding a huddle the next day.

If AP was in the front like I understand they’re suppose to be for most of their shift, I think there would be less theft. Guests don’t care if self check out person is there, it’s like they know already what we can and cannot do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back