Archived How much SHOULD each work center make?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its the people who think they or their team carry their store that never really get anywhere.

In my last job, when I interviewed folks who bragged about how much they had to cover for other people, I saw it as a huge red flag that they thought too highly of themselves
Well I don't. I'd have no problem with doing the minimum but that's not what is thrown on us.

I don't care about the store or its workers but if I'm given a job I do it and all our jobs are other peoples jobs

Well I don't. I'd have no problem with doing the minimum but that's not what is thrown on us.

I don't care about the store or its workers but if I'm given a job I do it and all our jobs are other peoples jobs
Now you just talking crazy talk. All your jobs are not other people's jobs.

For what it's worth, having 28.5hrs signing a week plus a shift and a half of other work centers I encounter way more metrics to be held accountable to. Pricing, pog, plus backroom each week. Plus base signing and salesfloor and front end each week.

In my two years with target, working instocks the entire time, I've literally dealt with every workcenter except fitting room and food Ave. To me instocks is one of the most diverse teams. We have to do backroom, we mess around with pog issues and have to fix them often, we deal with clearance pricing missed and deal with discontinued, we deal with guests every day, we work all over the floor and all over the store. I've dealt with countless vendors on a weekly basis. But I'm not about to say we earn more money than other teams... But we should at least earn what backroom makes since I know I do everything they do.

Of course they do, it's their job!!

Now I will speak for my store which is overnight but our flow team gets shift differential so they make 15.50 an hour.

They never deal with a single guest.

They can listen to music while they work.

They can wear jeans

Yes the truck unload socks but while they push stuff to aisles they have little oversight as far as putting stuff in the right place despite not being interrupted by guest like the rest of the team with cafs.

at my store they come in at 6 and do assist the guests when asked. so im basing it on that but at my store flow starts at 10.50, not 14.50 ... which damn!

Doesn't add up. Let's say base pay is 11 dollars and you are at 11.50 if they raise base to 11.50 they are going to be at 11.50 and so will you. The only way they are going over that is if they got a merit based raise and you did not.

no the way it was explained to me was that since my merrit raise put me over the starting rate, i didnt need to bump and was told to just hang in there because i work hard.

In my two years with target, working instocks the entire time, I've literally dealt with every workcenter except fitting room and food Ave. To me instocks is one of the most diverse teams. We have to do backroom, we mess around with pog issues and have to fix them often, we deal with clearance pricing missed and deal with discontinued, we deal with guests every day, we work all over the floor and all over the store. I've dealt with countless vendors on a weekly basis. But I'm not about to say we earn more money than other teams... But we should at least earn what backroom makes since I know I do everything they do.
At my store instocks makes the same as backroom. One lady makes better but she's a shining star of a tm and our one O a year often is used to get her a raise since she's at her ceiling again.

I'll brace myself for the flaming that is about to ensue, but.....

Working at Target requires no special skill, and doesn't require any higher pay than what it is dishing out. Someone from high school can step in and do just as well as someone who has been with the company for 20 years.

Hmm I have a bone to pick with this one. Recently my store hired an ex-IT profession as GSTL. No retail experience whatsoever, he even flat out told us that. Needless to say, he did an absolutely terrible job and was let go for poor performance. Weird, had a bachelors degree and worked in a white collar field, yet couldn't do a position that doesn't require a "special skill".

Just because a job doesn't require a "special skill" DOES NOT mean everyone can do it well.

My position for example, I get paid $11 an hour. There are TPS's out there who are absolutely terrible and abuse the position to slack to all hell. I work my fucking ass off and get paid the same rate because my job doesn't require a "special skill"? Baloney

At my store instocks makes the same as backroom. One lady makes better but she's a shining star of a tm and our one O a year often is used to get her a raise since she's at her ceiling again.
I mean I also make more than everyone in the backroom as well besides the tl. I have gotten an o as well. I'm hoping they give it to the other team member on my team if they're only allowed to give one out.

I think you should be paid for each additional work center that you are trained to work in. Cashiers make the least. Now simmer down all of you cashiers out there! If the cashier adds food cafe and service desk as TRAINED work centers add .25 for each. Sales floor team members should make .25 more than cashiers. They are able to not only cashier but also sales floor. They should be paid accordingly. GSTLs should be the lowest paid TLs. Again don't get your knickers in a twist. The sales floor TLs can run the lanes and often do. Very few GSTLs can run a sales floor. But if you are trained in more than 1 TL area you should get a bump. Basically the more global you are the better compensated you should be. BTW, HR definitely earns their money. One person has to keep track of every single team member in the building. There is so much behind the scenes work that most team member have no idea about. However if they didnt do it you would know right away! Replace shifts, keep track of training, update payroll, LOAs coming and going, plan FFF events, clean off stage areas, all the unseen paperwork/computer work (volunteer hours, emergency contacts, calling the millions of applicants, answering for the 100th time how to log on to ehr.
All logistics should start out $1 over starting cashier pay. If they are trained backroom add.25, etc.
The most underpaid, underappreciated people in the store? Reverse logistics and the cart attendant. These 2 work centers are very rarely recognized by anyone. And no one in the store would want to put up with the shit (literally sometimes in the cart attendants world)

^This: a bump for each additional skill but make it mandatory to demonstrate proficiency in order to get the bump.
An ingenious way to cultivate a global workforce.
It really is brilliant. For those who are great workers, it's an easy way to get another dollar, or 1.50

So where's the incentive to work and stay loyal to any work center? If the goal now becomes to be proficient in as many work center so you can, to get the pay bump, then stay in a simple work center without having your pay change since you have proved proficiency in other work centers already.

So where's the incentive to work and stay loyal to any work center? If the goal now becomes to be proficient in as many work center so you can, to get the pay bump, then stay in a simple work center without having your pay change since you have proved proficiency in other work centers already.
That's where hr decides who is best where and keep them there. When needed they can put them in another center. I don't know about you but I don't make my schedule, and don't get to decide which workcenter I work in on a daily basis.

Yeah I know for a fact that they are super selective on who they have on instocks right now, with the way I'm running it.

Fair and competent management are hard to come by, especially in a system like this, where decisions would need to be made between ETLs with approvals to work center changes. Not to mention, you would have to figure out how to compensate for long-time vets who are experts in their respective departments, who either were never offered a chance to cross-train, or never saw the need to, but still getting comparable rates to new hires.

Hahaha... not us. Today I was told to give a 3-5 minute training to 2 bodies that someone decided should scan. Can I just say that this sort of "respect" for my team totally chafes me?
Would piss me off too. We have an etl who used to try and make me train random people so they can research, and I kept telling her no, so she finally gave up.

Flow team really irks me. They should not make the same or more than dayside backroom. And if they're gonna make the same, then set your own god damn line! Like, I know they have autofills, trucks to unload, and push. But they leave so much stuff for dayside to clean up it's ridiculous. Easy base pay in my honest opinion.

I have price changes, POGs, CAFs, guest calls and Flexible Fullilment to pull. Not to mention backstock, handling trash and cardboard, the line, checking our statistics, auditing, pushing on the rare occasion. And I did all of that within a 6 hour shift yesterday!

I work my ass off not because I think I need to earn what I actually make, I work my ass off because I want the best possible experience for guests. I pride myself with being on time/early with completing tasks and making sure my team succeeds together.
----
That said, I've been with the company 4 months and got a $1 raise with another one possible within a year.

Flow can't set the line. That area must be clear for day to day business to continue. They are long gone by the time this can be done.... and it is not their job. I'd be pretty ticked off if I were trying to complete my backroom work and the line was set, impeding every move I make. Congratulations on your 4 months and come back to comment in 4 years when you have had the chance to actually know what other teams in the store do and what their team's responsibilities actually are. I don't mean to be flip, but there seem to be a lot of people who think they have the hardest job in the store and work harder at it than anyone else in the world and they are actually just doing the job that they accepted when hired and have no idea what any other team in the store actually is responsible for as opposed to what they see them do.

Backroom day side at my store never has to worry about statistics or auditing. It's all done in the morning by the tl and his trusted crew. Also don't really know why you're pulling pogs during dayside because pog is usually gone by then... At least they are at my store. They leave around 1230, as dayside comes in. Unless they're pulling for the next day or pulling salesplanners. But like @Rarejem said, you are literally doing the job you signed up for... Everything you mention is what you signed up for. You aren't necessarily doing anything more than what is asked of you. I've worked dayside and early morning and early morning is usually a little more difficult in my opinion. I've also worked flow, and if you do flow right it's fairly exhausting. Early morning has far larger pulls than dayside and also has to Backstock a lot more stuff that dayside. But it's not a competition, it's a job. We all knew what we signed up for, and we are doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back