Archived How much SHOULD each work center make?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flow should be cashier pay grade. All they do is unload a truck and put merchandise on the shelf....half the time not even taking the time to merch protect it or place it in the correct spot.

AP should be paid more without a doubt, along with HR TM, the receiver, GSAs, service desk, and electronics. TL should be adjusted for the TM increases.

I've always been loud on here about my opinion that VMLs should be making less, a LOT less. $18 to put a bra on a manikin, give me a break. Slightly above Softlines sales floor pay would be adequate. ETLs should also make a lot less, considering most have less retail experience, than the TLs.
Jesus christ, a post could not make any more sense. I completely agree with the flow statement, the flow team at my store doesn't even care in the slightest if they damage merchandise. They'll throw boxes of glass cups halfway across an aisle and let it drop without caring. They don't even help guests or backup cashier. Flow acting like they're special snowflakes is one of my peeves about working at spot. Hard Lines has a harder job than they do.

lucky you! ive been with spot for 4 years as well and only make 10.78. peers of mine make around what you do and they started in the following year,

People who are in the same position as you, at the same store as you are not making more than you unless you did terrible in your reviews and they did well.

And makes more of a direct impact on everyday sales as well.

Also, I'm slightly buzzed by too much wine and first thought you said "Jesus Christ, this post did not make any sense".
Heh, I've had a drink or two aswell. But yeah, Hardlines has to fix all of flow's fuckups, deal with guests face to face with any problems, and am usually blamed if flow messes up a shelf and leaves it. I'm not saying I deserve more pay than I get (Would be nice), but HL definitely has more responsibilities and tasks than flow.

I would be very interested in knowing what the criteria is that changes a workcenter from one paygrade to another. Is there an actual breakdown anywhere? (What does backroom do that is different from instocks? Are SFS tm's the same as backroom? Etc. etc. and what makes the paygrade go up?)

I am pretty sure they throw darts at a board in Minnesota. That's how a GSA makes the same as a flow team member.

We have good flow team members but some were hired because they have a pulse and are willing to unload a truck at 11pm

Backroom should make the most of any normal work center since they do the most work

I love my backroom TMs at my store they casserole out of crap but they are definitely not the hardest working. Its easier to get things done when you avoid guest.

Ours are known for taking long breaks and shooting the breeze with vendors especially since our ETL OPS got the axe.

I am pretty sure they throw darts at a board in Minnesota. That's how a GSA makes the same as a flow team member.

We have good flow team members but some were hired because they have a pulse and are willing to unload a truck at 11pm
I have worked with GSA's who have walkied the salesfloor asking if we sell toilet paper and having no idea how to read a label much less make one. I have worked with flow team members who FIFO every canned item (and the GSA would not know what it means, even though FIFO should be done at the lanes), unloaded 2 trailers in a morning, pushed 22 carts of repack. Again... if you haven't done the job you cannot speak to the difficulty of the requirements. I have worked in most workcenters - not cafe, starbucks, photo, receiving... most others, though. I think I could make a pretty fair assessment of which jobs require the most brains, the most brawn, the most combo.... yet nobody seems to know how Target figures it out below paygrade 9.

yet nobody seems to know how Target figures it out below paygrade 9.

You would have to be at corporate to know that and while I am sure they lurk they don't seem in any hurry to share their secrets here.

I have a hard time they put a whole lot of thought into the paygrades below n9. Otherwise there would be more pay grades. Notice EIT goes up to n85.

As I shared in my post, there are exceptional flow team members. And unfortunately the ones who don't care give the team a bad name. This is my second time with Target and I have worked flow, instocks, cashier, service desk, electronics , plano, photo and now finally HR and hardlines. While all jobs have a degree of difficulty there are some jobs that are more forgiving than others.

An instocks or hardlines TM can clean up a flow team members mistake. If I make a mistake and my ETL HR doesn't catch it, the ramifications hurt a lot of people.

An instocks or hardlines TM can clean up a flow team members mistake. If I make a mistake and my ETL HR doesn't catch it, the ramifications hurt a lot of people.
Very true. That's why this topic interests me. I think the rationale behind the paygrade should be available to team members. I assume that every single team member must have to meet the criteria for #3 and all #7 should be able to meet the criteria for #5 as well. I can't remember ever seeing a flow team member respond to backup calls (some of ours carry a walkie) because THEY DON'T KNOW HOW (to be fair, they weren't trained). Why is Instocks #5 when they have to meet the #7 backroom criteria in order to do their job and understand POG and receiving? What about Price Change? They have to be able to use the backroom equipment to pull their batches, but they don't have to know how to backstock... It makes sense to pay those who throw the truck more than someone who works pulls, yet all flow team members are paid at the same level and salesfloor tms do the same thing except they don't always have the "luxury" of a location written right on the box and are 2 levels below. I see no common thread. Perhaps there is just a big dartboard.

The reality of a GSA is that they make $4 more a day than a F/T cashier shift.

I'll brace myself for the flaming that is about to ensue, but.....

Working at Target requires no special skill, and doesn't require any higher pay than what it is dishing out. Someone from high school can step in and do just as well as someone who has been with the company for 20 years.

I realize everyone wants to be paid more, but pay is all relative. For my store, at least, the last 2 years Target has bumped up the base by over 10%. One year this was done to be more competitive in our specific market, the other was to be more competitive on a nation-wide level. Again, relatively speaking, are there other companies that give better raises based off the % increase? I understand that our merit raises are a low % that equates to a nominal USD amount, but which major companies are able to offer something considerably higher and be sustainable? Want a higher raise? Work hard, devote yourself.

As for the difference in paygrade for different work centers - if everyone in Target did their job properly, the the current pay grades would represent themselves fairly proportionally. I understand that there isn't a store in the company that can say everyone does their job perfectly, but that isn't a fault of the slacking/poorly trained TM, that's the result of poor leadership. Which leads to one of my biggest pet peeves with Target -leadership training. Target does not train leaders to be leaders, nor does Target hold leaders accountable if they are not acting as leaders. This goes for every leadership position at the store level - STL, ETL, TL. Those in this thread that are complaining about certain work centers not being worth what they are getting paid can look no further than the TL/ETL/STL overseeing those positions.

As far as the positions who I think are underpaid? The ones that stand out to me are GSA and team trainers. GSA, not because they do team lead 'things' (because they don't), but because of the stress they must endure in an area absent of a leader when they are working. IMO, .25 does not compensate for that. As far as trainers go, if you have good trainers, your store will be much more profitable. Currently, there is zero compensation for being a trainer. Consequently, being in the middle of several generations who inherently do not take pride in their work, it's tough finding quality trainers who voluntarily will do a quality job in their role for no compensation.

Let the flaming begin!

I'll brace myself for the flaming that is about to ensue, but.....

Working at Target requires no special skill, and doesn't require any higher pay than what it is dishing out. Someone from high school can step in and do just as well as someone who has been with the company for 20 years.

I realize everyone wants to be paid more, but pay is all relative. For my store, at least, the last 2 years Target has bumped up the base by over 10%. One year this was done to be more competitive in our specific market, the other was to be more competitive on a nation-wide level. Again, relatively speaking, are there other companies that give better raises based off the % increase? I understand that our merit raises are a low % that equates to a nominal USD amount, but which major companies are able to offer something considerably higher and be sustainable? Want a higher raise? Work hard, devote yourself.

As for the difference in paygrade for different work centers - if everyone in Target did their job properly, the the current pay grades would represent themselves fairly proportionally. I understand that there isn't a store in the company that can say everyone does their job perfectly, but that isn't a fault of the slacking/poorly trained TM, that's the result of poor leadership. Which leads to one of my biggest pet peeves with Target -leadership training. Target does not train leaders to be leaders, nor does Target hold leaders accountable if they are not acting as leaders. This goes for every leadership position at the store level - STL, ETL, TL. Those in this thread that are complaining about certain work centers not being worth what they are getting paid can look no further than the TL/ETL/STL overseeing those positions.

As far as the positions who I think are underpaid? The ones that stand out to me are GSA and team trainers. GSA, not because they do team lead 'things' (because they don't), but because of the stress they must endure in an area absent of a leader when they are working. IMO, .25 does not compensate for that. As far as trainers go, if you have good trainers, your store will be much more profitable. Currently, there is zero compensation for being a trainer. Consequently, being in the middle of several generations who inherently do not take pride in their work, it's tough finding quality trainers who voluntarily will do a quality job in their role for no compensation.

Let the flaming begin!

I agree with this, but I have problems with it. You could justify people being paid more, by simply holding people accountable for what they do, and making the effort to hiring someone with "special skills." Working at Target requires no special skill. Sure, okay. But if it did, would they pay their employees more? This is actually a big problem I think exists in store level retail jobs. What's the solution when you want to take your job seriously, and want to be an accountable person, but no one gives a fuck, because your managment has low expectations of your role there? Sure they might put you in demanding scenarios and expect you to do a lot, but it's all done under the understanding that you're extremely replaceable. No matter how good a job you do, in store level retail work, you're always replaceable. I don't know what the message to take away from that is, nor am I really even blaming anyone. All I'm saying is it's not a good situation to be in forever. I guess I would like to make the point that I wish the retail world had a more human approach in caring for their employees, and maybe hired people WITHOUT thinking of them as replaceable. I don't think anyone working 40+ hours a week should accept being outrageously poor just because their job is "easy."

Also, I think if retail people want to be respected for the work they do, I'd hope they'd also have respect for blue collar workers as well. How many millennials get jobs at places like Target or Starbucks because collecting trash is beneath them...even though it pays far better? Sure you can complain that you don't make good money being a cashier, but at a certain point, it's worth considering that your personal finances aren't Target's responsibility to manage. Shit, as someone with 2 jobs, I have fucking empathy for use retail folk, but it's hard to pretend to be a victim as well.

ANYWOO The biggest positions that I think need some tweaking in terms of pay is anything that is mentally challenging, or requires people to be especially good problem solvers, or business like. So really the only position that doesn't pay well considering that, is GSA. GSA is a joke though, and should be done away with. When you fix that problem, GSTL pay could probably use a boost. If you're a GSTL, and aren't making a living wage, then you're being underpaid.

Ill take heat for saying this but i anyone in logistics deserves a starting incentive base pay of 13/hr. This would stricken TLs and ETLs in the hiring process, making it a more challenging job to grab. Way too many times do I see the company waste time and money hiring anyone.

Receiving should have a higher base than backroom. You have a lot more to deal with. Its a long list so i dont want to mention it but at least $1 more than any Logistics postion.

I would agree with everything, however I think that Signing TM, should be the same as Perishables Assistant/Recieving. I think as a Signing TM you have a MUCH bigger hand in the store (as a whole) compared to PA, which imo is the hardest non-TL sales floor position (which warrants its pay).

I'd say that minimum starting should be around $12.00 for entry level TM's like Sales Floor TM's, bumping up in increments between $0.50 to $1.00 per position.

I personally feel like TPS's for one should be at at least $14.50 for the shit we have to put up with, especially in smaller stores where we're doing half of the ETL/APTL's work some times. In stores with larger teams where the TPS's can breathe a little more, I'd say $14 flat.

That being said, I also say that service desk should be around $13.50-$14.00 for all the crazy people they put up with.

I agree with this, but I have problems with it. You could justify people being paid more, by simply holding people accountable for what they do, and making the effort to hiring someone with "special skills." Working at Target requires no special skill. Sure, okay. But if it did, would they pay their employees more? This is actually a big problem I think exists in store level retail jobs. What's the solution when you want to take your job seriously, and want to be an accountable person, but no one gives a fuck, because your managment has low expectations of your role there? Sure they might put you in demanding scenarios and expect you to do a lot, but it's all done under the understanding that you're extremely replaceable. No matter how good a job you do, in store level retail work, you're always replaceable. I don't know what the message to take away from that is, nor am I really even blaming anyone. All I'm saying is it's not a good situation to be in forever. I guess I would like to make the point that I wish the retail world had a more human approach in caring for their employees, and maybe hired people WITHOUT thinking of them as replaceable. I don't think anyone working 40+ hours a week should accept being outrageously poor just because their job is "easy."

Also, I think if retail people want to be respected for the work they do, I'd hope they'd also have respect for blue collar workers as well. How many millennials get jobs at places like Target or Starbucks because collecting trash is beneath them...even though it pays far better? Sure you can complain that you don't make good money being a cashier, but at a certain point, it's worth considering that your personal finances aren't Target's responsibility to manage. Shit, as someone with 2 jobs, I have fucking empathy for use retail folk, but it's hard to pretend to be a victim as well.

ANYWOO The biggest positions that I think need some tweaking in terms of pay is anything that is mentally challenging, or requires people to be especially good problem solvers, or business like. So really the only position that doesn't pay well considering that, is GSA. GSA is a joke though, and should be done away with. When you fix that problem, GSTL pay could probably use a boost. If you're a GSTL, and aren't making a living wage, then you're being underpaid.

There isn't one person anywhere on this planet that isn't replaceable. There is always someone waiting in the wings to take your spot. The difference is the sort of training that is required (on the job, school, apprenticeship, etc.) to determine your wage. The minimum wage can continue increasing as high as it wants, but everything will even out when you want to make a purchase. We could all piss and moan until we make $100/hr, but a loaf of bread will end up costing $50, so what difference does it make? In the end, working in retail takes comparatively minimal skill, keeping wages low. People who complain about it should save some $$ and go take a class or 2 at a vocational school and build their resume.

I think that part of the problem is at the store level with the "we're all one team so you have to do another team's job" mentality. Yes... to a degree. The ultimate goal is, of course, a successfully run store with good sales, but that comes with good management of time, money, and skills. With the differences in the starting pay for different workcenters corporate Target is telling us that there IS a difference in the work required by specific teams. It is time that the store level management respects this and stops trying to save $$ by requiring tms to work above their paygrade - and yes, that means stop scheduling a salesfloor tm for flow hours for just short of half of their scheduled hours or sending an instocks tm to backstock for the day because "on paper" they are not scheduled in the backroom so they don't ever see that pay raise for working at a higher level workcenter.

I wish cashiers who consistently worked GS but aren't GSAs got a bit more $. I deal, on the daily, with a whole lot more crap than other cashiers. It's a lot more responsibility than just scan, bag and push RCs.
THIS is what I'm talking about. Also... equal pay for equal work. If one is doing the SAME work as someone on another team, that should be a consideration in their pay (and I'd go as far as saying consistently doing a lower paying job as well, if it is the tm's choice to take those hours, not if they are told to do it as that job is already "built into" their paygrade. This might not work, though, as it would affect filling hours for swap shifts)

There isn't one person anywhere on this planet that isn't replaceable. There is always someone waiting in the wings to take your spot. The difference is the sort of training that is required (on the job, school, apprenticeship, etc.) to determine your wage. The minimum wage can continue increasing as high as it wants, but everything will even out when you want to make a purchase. We could all piss and moan until we make $100/hr, but a loaf of bread will end up costing $50, so what difference does it make? In the end, working in retail takes comparatively minimal skill, keeping wages low. People who complain about it should save some $$ and go take a class or 2 at a vocational school and build their resume.

Technically everyone is replaceable, but it's also a hassle to have new people moving through a revolving door constantly. My point was, if we're to expect better wages, Target could put a bigger demand on "skillful" workers, and hire them with the intention of them being there for longer than 6 months.

I don't know how you expect things to work, if absolutely everyone had a skill, and thus no need to work retail. There's not an infinite supply of non retail work, inevitably, you're going to have to have people working in retail stores. Why do those people deserve to be in poverty? Why are they in poverty? Why isn't minimum wage enough? Those are questions worth analyzing, and I think it's more productive to come up with a better answer than, "Well school!!!"

I agree Target should pay more, not because of specific work but because an employer who pays better gets better employees. Costco is a perfect example. Their employees basically do what we do yet they make an average of $20/hr. It's the symbiotic relationship of pay and loyalty that Target doesn't get or doesn't care to get. I think if Target bumped up payroll they would see a bump in sales. When you pay more you get employees who really value their job and are incentivized to work well in order to keep their job because they know someone else wants it. I work plano at 4am and often ask myself why do I do this hard and stressful job at 4am for .50 over minimum. I am ok there for now but I'm not against jumping ship for better pay. I don't feel Target really values me by the way they pay. And I make myself a good employee by working the way I'd want an employee to work if I owned the company, so they'd be losing a good worker.

I realize it's not gonna happen and that's too bad.

I am not sure your post was flame worthy it was thoughtful although misguided in some ways.

No one is saying a 16 year old cashier and a 20 year team member deserve different pay for the same job. My point was that 20 year team member who was hired at 7 dollars an hour and is now at 16 all from 9 dollars of merit based pay increases shouldn't lose out on that because Target raises base pay.

We can argue that "Target doesn't require skill" none of us are asking for six figures like we are tech programmers. The consensus to make seems to be on a living wage based on the work we put in and some loyalty to store veterans in a place desperately trying to minimize turnover. I don't think that is too much to ask.

I am not sure your post was flame worthy it was thoughtful although misguided in some ways.

No one is saying a 16 year old cashier and a 20 year team member deserve different pay for the same job. My point was that 20 year team member who was hired at 7 dollars an hour and is now at 16 all from 9 dollars of merit based pay increases shouldn't lose out on that because Target raises base pay.

We can argue that "Target doesn't require skill" none of us are asking for six figures like we are tech programmers. The consensus to make seems to be on a living wage based on the work we put in and some loyalty to store veterans in a place desperately trying to minimize turnover. I don't think that is too much to ask.
I wasn't comparing a kid in high school to a seasoned TM to make a point about pay, but a point about the skills required to work in retail.

IMO someone who makes a low wage doesn't have to live in poverty, but they can't afford the luxuries they covet either. I survived just fine in a city where a studio apartment is 900$+ on a 15$/hour wage. Sure, I didn't have the latest cell phone or the best cable/internet package, but I was able to live comfortably.

The problem with everyone's argument that we need higher wages is that we are going to pay for it somewhere else like higher costs of goods, less perks, less employees, etc. Unless Target fundamentally changes the way it does business, a la Costco, the only way to increase wages is to place the onus on consumers to pay more. These consumers may just decide to go elsewhere if prices increase.

So, those of you suggesting the problem is that Target doesn't pay enough, come up with a viable solution on where Target gets the money to pay its employees more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back