Archived Huddles

Status
Not open for further replies.
No really. I don't know about sales floor huddles but cashier/front end huddles are done once or twice a week and it helps the team feel like they are apart of what's going on. Ask questions and learn new stuff.

What's the point? We have like 15 cashiers and I've never seen more than 3 scheduled at a time (usually there are just 2 of us).. Either they'd be constantly holding huddles or just a few elites will know what's up.

What's the point? We have like 15 cashiers and I've never seen more than 3 scheduled at a time (usually there are just 2 of us).. Either they'd be constantly holding huddles or just a few elites will know what's up.

Would you rather not know what events are going on in the store?

I agree they can be informative. They are just too long. Too many people adding their two cents.as with any meeting, stick to the ageda(huddle form). When you fail to do this you have lost control and the attention of the team.

Would you rather not know what events are going on in the store?

Definitely agree with you two. The concept of huddle is pretty solid, because it's good to get that info out to the team. However, I can definitely see where the execution is off. It's way too easy for huddle to turn into a 30+ minute ordeal, for no particular reason.

That's the problem...I'd like to...but with only two of the cashiers there? And probably one of them unable to get off the lanes? That's not a huddle...that's a date.

After salesfloor "evening" huddle. Sales floor team leader designates 3-4 of there team members to go take over the lanes temporarily. So around this time is 5PM we would still have atleast 4 cashiers + cart attendant + guest service TM + Food ave TM +maybe a star bucks tm if its not busy. So thats 7-8 people for the huddle almost the same if not more then the amount as a huddle on the sales floor.

With everyone here who are bashing huddles its obviously that there team leaders suck at it. Huddles are fun for the moment and its good that we take the time out to talk and recognize people for there work and be up-to-date.

Last edited:
After salesfloor "evening" huddle. Sales floor team leader designates 3-4 of there team members to go take over the lanes temporarily. So around this time is 5PM we would still have atleast 4 cashiers + cart attendant + guest service TM + Food ave TM +maybe a star bucks tm if its not busy. So thats 7-8 people for the huddle almost the same if not more then the amount as a huddle on the sales floor.

With everyone here who are bashing huddles its obviously that there team leaders suck at it. Huddles are fun for the moment and its good that we take the time out to talk and recognize people for there work and be up-to-date.

So, doing this once or twice a week, that would mean that at best you would reach half your cashiers in a given week, I'm guessing, and I can't speak to the other departments. So how does that information get transmitted to those cashiers that may never be there for that huddle? Is there a system in place like the huddle, are the leads good at passing on the information, or are the TMs on their own and praying they don't miss anything too important?

So, doing this once or twice a week, that would mean that at best you would reach half your cashiers in a given week, I'm guessing, and I can't speak to the other departments. So how does that information get transmitted to those cashiers that may never be there for that huddle? Is there a system in place like the huddle, are the leads good at passing on the information, or are the TMs on their own and praying they don't miss anything too important?

The reasoning for cashier huddles*at my store* being once or twice a week I don't know why but at least they have them before they had them the front end at my store felt sort of like we were just there. GSTL had talked to us one by one and told us what he had to know.. why do that when you can get everyone together and save more time have a quick open discussion and go back to work?. But as for huddles in general. If they didn't have them how would anyone know about the agenda for tonight, Stores goal, events going on. Its quick ,easy , too the point , I have never been to a huddle that has lasted more then 10 minutes. So you would want to work somewhere you just come to work, cashier, then go home? No type of intermission saying hey, this is what's going on today-this week, and this is what were trying to accomplish, regardless how repetitive it is hearing what goal/forecast is and how many redcards the store has gotten today, they are trying to keep people in the know of whats going on. Quote--- Is there a system in place like the huddle, are the leads good at passing on the information, or are the TMs on their own and praying they don't miss anything too important? Some is better then none am I right?

I think the problem with the huddles is that they are too long. First of all it takes forever for some teams to show up (if at all). So we're standing around waiting for teams to show up. And then for certain teams that do have a time constraint (i.e. plano, pricing, instocks) for each person that is at the huddle, that time quickly adds up that could be used to do other things. Then there's the huddle itself. Each ETL and TL that is at the huddle has something to contribute. Recognition takes like 5+ minutes. And god forbid the ETL goes into story time. Mine like to do that. And then it's smart huddle time, and we spend like 20 minutes either doing PTMs, zoning, freshness friday, culling, etc.

There goes 30 to 40 minutes of your day. And they wonder why we can't get stuff done and get out on time. The only teams that don't have to show up at the huddle are backroom, flow, front end/food avenue.

I just think to myself, hey, I'm getting paid to stand around and waste the company's time, when I could be productive doing stuff. Some of the info is great, but so much of it is repetitive.

Last edited:

At my store, cashiers who aren't there at opening usually don't know what's going on unless another TM tells them. However, we post our huddle sheets outside the TSC near the DTK scores, so anyone who is passing through can check it out if they care to do so.

As many have said, huddles suck for the repetitive info and useless fake recognition ... the only thing they're sort of good for is helping us realize collectively what we might not realize 'regionally.' In other words, I don't know what on earth is going on in market, so when they put up that 'target stores' thing with pet toys and candy endcaps or whatever ... i was lost until the huddle/commercials informed me.

but the whole 'thanks again to x, y, and z, for covering my break like ... THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO' ... and good job team for "DOING YOUR DAMN JOBS" ... annoys the hell out of me. gold stars are saved for people who go above and beyond, patting people on the head for doing what they're getting paid for is just bogus.

I'm dreading the "Freshness Friday" Huddle in the AM bc its the week of zoning candy & gum isles (oh joy) & if I'm right there will be 12 total at the huddle only 3 being normal tm's

I kinda like Freshness Friday.
It's where the crew go through the grocery aisles and look for dated items.
The big ones are chips, tortillas, mayo and dressing, cheese and yoghourt, marshmallows, and dented cans.

Sometimes they give prizes for the most found items.

Huddles can be a burden at times because of time constraints for plano. Especially if we are going through huge transitions. Also huddles are very repetitive with usually the same people giving the same recognition. Its good to here what's going on in the store but it would be nice if they were shorter (sales/safety/any important announcements/visit recaps). A good huddle at out store lasts about 10 minutes.

If it's the same recognition then do something to earn recognition. Clearly that person has the right mind set.

Recognition is retarded and overrated imo. I do my work, and I help where I can. So does everybody else so we can all go home faster. I assure you nothing we do is to earn great team cards..... Just saying.......... Maybe a couple due but I'd be surprised if anyone actually did....

Recognition is retarded and overrated imo. I do my work, and I help where I can. So does everybody else so we can all go home faster. I assure you nothing we do is to earn great team cards..... Just saying.......... Maybe a couple due but I'd be surprised if anyone actually did....

You're right. Most people probably never do anything just for a great team card. But a lot of people enjoy being recognized (either at huddle or with a GTC posted on the wall) for their hard work, especially when it's a "going out of their way" kind of thing.

Again, regardless if you think it is productive or not, your classification of these musters being "retarded" won't change anything.

Earn recognition.

Personally, I'm sick of busting my ass 40 hours a week just to make the execs look good and the numbers look good so THEY can earn their yearly bonus, and i get nothing. But huddles make you feel like you should want to bust your ass for them because they are such awesome people!!!

The only huddles I can attend are the evening huddles. I hardly know when they're happening because they rarely invite the back room. When I do go, it's the same scores and whatever BS. The rest of the time AP stands there and goes on about how we should constantly call things out, which we should do if there's something suspicious, but it's all about their district score for apps than anything else. We are also given ultrapixelated printed-out pictures of supposed thieves. These pics are worse than listening to someone speak to you through a drive through.

Here's what cracks me up the most, though. They hold the huddle in the middle of the aisle intersections where C, D, M, and N meet, or E, F, and N meet. It's so rude to the guests, and the ETLs and TLs always act like sending the guests through the SPOT moshpit is a welcoming experience, and they never ask them if they need any help.

Here's what cracks me up the most, though. They hold the huddle in the middle of the aisle intersections where C, D, M, and N meet, or E, F, and N meet. It's so rude to the guests, and the ETLs and TLs always act like sending the guests through the SPOT moshpit is a welcoming experience, and they never ask them if they need any help.

The one time I attended an evening huddle, it was in the intersection between C, D, Boys, and Infants. Our SrTL who was LOD that night at least had the decency to shift us out of the way of guests who wanted to get through. And we did ask CIHFYS.

I'm almost always scheduled as the only one in Electronics/Hardlines so I can never go to a huddle.

Overnights at walmart we have our "huddle" before we go out to zone and stock. At least we sit in the breakroom and just scream 1 2 3 walmart! instead of that stupid and pointless cheer that goes against what they say (whos number 1? The customer" well if they were why not we gewt the **** out of here and help them instead of acting like idiots? )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back