Is this Real Life? (A Market vent thread)

i have a question for all you market team members: since we started E2E are you guys still responsible for answering back up calls?

at my store we were basically exempt from answering back up calls because we're always busy or we always have time sensitive product out on the floor. there's exceptions like when they desperately need it, but even still we rarely go back up.

I avoid backing up, I avoid call buttons for other areas -- I basically avoid everything else as much as humanly possible. I still end up having to back up, usually once per shift, but I just feel like at the point where I'm pulling grocery CAFs people can't expect me to be responding to other crap all the time. We are definitely not exempt at my store, though.

I RARELY GO UP. o_O for those reasons. But other TM's will go willy nilly when they have a huge vehicle and spend half their shift up there. :eek:
we have on PA who does this all the time at my store. like i get it guest first, i was hardlines before, but market is totally different from hardlines. he will go up there anytime they call and it's like dude no you have shit on the floor.

If it's convenient, I go. However, if it is a C&S day, forget it, since I want to ensure that the truck gets completed.
i think that's where our problem is. we are a non-stop store. even on non c&s days we're constantly busy with our GM truck. the past couple of days have been pretty chill and slow but it's picking up again to where we cannot back up. our TL has actually mentioned to us that it's fine if we dont respond we have other priorities now, but the ETL-GE is always kind of on our ass as well as our TLs in hardlines. it's whatever, we do as we're told.

They require two sizes of chalk pen. Price, description, cool label must be on them. There is a font example with requirements for each letter and number. They are sturdy signs, but that likely means they'll chip or shatter if dropped.

They've recently added the ability to tpc via mydevices. I'm guessing to go with this signing idea.

i have a question for all you market team members: since we started E2E are you guys still responsible for answering back up calls?

No back up here. We have temperature-sensitive product to worry about, and a decent amount of the time there's only one of us on the floor.

Hello fellow Consumables Champs!

I've been working in Market for almost two years. Initially as a PA, now FA. My store was one of the first to roll-out the e2e process. The first work center was Market, and we actually did it in conjunction with our store remodel back in April. I'm reading thru the thread, and see similar challenges now that more stores are engaged.

We work a GM/dry grocery and Food truck daily, with a maximum of 5 team members (staggered shifts).
-One TL and one FA each working an 8 hour shifts (16 hours) + 3 part-time team members (12 hours) = 28 Total daily hours.
**One of these team members works an afternoon shift (2pm-8pm), with the goal that they finish up what wasn't pushed, and zone all of dry market.
-Average food truck size is 280. Average GM/dry grocery is 400 (including candy, cereal and beverage) which we still work on floor pallets with a huddle.
It's RARE that we accomplish a complete push, let alone keep Pfresh full, culled and use coupons.

Looking for feedback and comments.

*I have more experience than my TL, so my STL depends on me to manage most of the Pfresh ordering.

With the remodel, we have MANY new scans due to the addition of Organics, and SO many new facings in lettuce and veggies. The setting on the beautiful new bakery table is a hot mess. The new lighting in Pfresh dries out citrus and stone fruit overnight. We honestly DON'T sell enough to match the volumes dictated by remodel facings. So, essentially in order to keep my Pfresh full and beautiful, I order as best I can, knowing full well I will be QMOS'ing and donating at least 1/4th of each daily order. My food bank driver loves my store madly.

Yikes..... Is this the new normal?

I work at a store that hasn't undergone remodel quite yet, but does have the grower boxes in place. We're an A volume Pfresh, receiving 5 or 6 GM trucks a week and 3 Food Trucks via C&S. Maybe my advice will be applicable, maybe not.

Change the facings to match what's actually selling. Combine down those two bagged salads with a total of four facings into a single facing of each. TPC often. I think accurate ordering has become a lot more difficult, but is still possible.
One suggestion I've seen here is to store stonefruit in the coolers overnight to keep them from rotting.
Bake seems like a lost cause to me. Our regional grocery director had us get rid of the seasonal side of the bake table and it's essentially become a flexing nightmare.

What is a 9am-4:30pm food/consumables shift like? Just pushing?
its pull autofills
push autofills and truck freight
zone aisle(which shouldnt be too much since you were pushing and should be zoning as you go)
research aisle
pull and push research (also shouldnt be too much if you are researching every single day)
backstock all remaining backstock

It really isnt that much and I run food in a A+ store

Guys, I'm at my wit's end. I've been away from TBR for a bit, but things have gone to hell in my Deli. My TL keeps hiring on pregnant women (which I have no problem with... as long as said TL bothers to make a solid plan for when that TM is on LOA) and we've lost several people for various reasons. I'm job searching but the only offer I've gotten so far was extremely inadequate. I keep getting messages and calls... "Hey, would you like to come in and close?" "Hey, would you mind coming in later than you're scheduled and staying to close?" NO. I always get the short end of the stick when people quit or are fired. I'm done with this. I'm miserable 24/7 because work has gotten so stressful. We're down to 4 deli TMs (including the TL) total who come in to shifts consistently, to cover 7 days, and the TL refuses to schedule only 1 opener. We have 2.5 openers a mid/closer (me) and a closer. I'm done. I'm tempted to contact the people who offered me too little money and take the job as a job between jobs, but then I'd just be stressed about money! AUGH!
Vent done... for now.
Edit: A word.

Images from a new flex format. Its really rather nice looking. Of course how outta stocked will make or break it....
View attachment 3782 View attachment 3783 View attachment 3784

This does not look like a regular PFresh store. sorta inbetween a Super and a PFresh.

I am curious because I am almost damn sure, I am going to have to go through this Re-model next year. I remember receiving Remodel Stanchions for Grocery (most likely this, and Cosmetics, by accident along with my A&A 2.0 and Home Innovation Remodels).

My question is what the hell is the cosmetics remodel?

This

86f55d_23a7b6977d724df78eb510b687e14887~mv2_d_3264_2446_s_4_2.jpg

Jacobs Marketing - Retail Representatives

This does not look like a regular PFresh store. sorta inbetween a Super and a PFresh.

I am curious because I am almost damn sure, I am going to have to go through this Re-model next year. I remember receiving Remodel Stanchions for Grocery (most likely this, and Cosmetics, by accident along with my A&A 2.0 and Home Innovation Remodels).

My question is what the hell is the cosmetics remodel?
It is a flex format store. Installed into an old grocery store shell. Space wise its a full pfresh, it's just more on the tables for produce than traditional footage allows for. Frozen, dairy, etc is about the same. Dry grocery is smaller as are every other department. We can't tell if they have a seasonal section, although they must... right?

Anyone else have issues with the pushers actually pushing the product forward? There's too many facings per shelf and it seems like they're squeezing the product, not allowing it to advance forward. Taking out a facing of one of the items with multiple facings is usually too much and the product can slip behind the pushers.

Also, I don't think the POGs take the extra inches that the pushers take up. There's a couple instances of items without enough space.

Guys, I'm at my wit's end. I've been away from TBR for a bit, but things have gone to hell in my Deli. My TL keeps hiring on pregnant women (which I have no problem with... as long as said TL bothers to make a solid plan for when that TM is on LOA) and we've lost several people for various reasons. I'm job searching but the only offer I've gotten so far was extremely inadequate. I keep getting messages and calls... "Hey, would you like to come in and close?" "Hey, would you mind coming in later than you're scheduled and staying to close?" NO. I always get the short end of the stick when people quit or are fired. I'm done with this. I'm miserable 24/7 because work has gotten so stressful. We're down to 4 deli TMs (including the TL) total who come in to shifts consistently, to cover 7 days, and the TL refuses to schedule only 1 opener. We have 2.5 openers a mid/closer (me) and a closer. I'm done. I'm tempted to contact the people who offered me too little money and take the job as a job between jobs, but then I'd just be stressed about money! AUGH!
Vent done... for now.
Edit: A word.
You first lost me when you said "hired on pregnant women". Working at Target will never be a walk in the park. Trust me, I'm 55 years old and receive a literal TON of food daily. I work pallet jacks, the Wave and manage to work till exhaustion every day. But, here is the thing. That is my job. My body aches, but until I find something better- understand that this is what my job duties entail. Your STL, ETL's and LOD's are given instructions to make things happen. This is Corporate Retail. If it's too rough, move on. Try Amazon.... sorry for being honest and candid.
Just make sure you don't call pregnant women or anyone else out because of your own frustration.... These challenges will never go way. If your uncertain I would advice you to speak to your HR Team Leader.

Last edited:
Fuck the new chalk board signs for the new produce tables. We have to start these in 2 weeks and keep up with them. To me it will take about 2 hours extra a day who has time for that.
On Sunday, my opener called out. I came in at noon and no one had touched P Fresh. Since I had loads of outs, I had to push my fast movers. Got called out the next day by my ETL for not spending the time scanning the table and changing the chalkboards.

You first lost me when you said "hired on pregnant women". Working at Target will never be a walk in the park. Trust me, I'm 55 years old and receive a literal TON of food daily. I work pallet jacks, the Wave and manage to work till exhaustion every day. But, here is the thing. That is my job. My body aches, but until I find something better- understand that this is what my job duties entail. Your STL, ETL's and LOD's are given instructions to make things happen. This is Corporate Retail. If it's too rough, move on. Try Amazon.... sorry for being honest and candid.
Just make sure you don't call pregnant women or anyone else out because of your own frustration.... These challenges will never go way. If your uncertain I would advice you to speak to your HR Team Leader.
I know my feelings are negative and misdirected and I'm working on it. My main problem is that my TL is unable to plan for these women's absences and it makes me angry. What I mean to do is to call out my TL for (unintentionally, I hope) sabotaging our department. When both women have an overlap in their LOA, she needs to make sure that HR knows that we still need to hire another person. Then there's the fact that NOT ONE ETL knows how to work the slicers. I refuse to be essentially on-call and I refuse to stay late every time they need me to because they can't be bothered to scrape up the training hours (which do exist! I've seen them used properly!) to cross-train even one TM in all the Deli tasks for closing.
I am actively looking, but all I have is an abandoned near-complete degree and retail experience. I'm getting ready to start on an ICD-10 certification, which should get me out, but I want out sooner rather than later.
As for Amazon... I'm looking to find a better job, not one that will essentially be more of the same.

Don't be sorry. Our jobs may not be the same, but it sounds like they're both difficult. As a receiver, you have to get someone to cover your breaks and lunches, right? So do I. One of my biggest points of frustration is that sometimes not one person in the entire store can cover for me. I'm not allowed to write up a sign stating when I'll be back. Instead, I'm expected to give a random TM a crash course on slicing OR tell Bakery/Starbucks/Produce to keep an eye on the Deli and "help" guests fill in an order form. For up to half an hour at a time. Then their TL or the LOD gets angry when a guest complains that no one was available in their area (since there's often only one person or less per area) or they complain that the person they asked couldn't slice for them.

Don't even get me started on insanity that is Steritech visits, since we can't even get cleaning done properly anymore, between lack of people and lack of hours.

Pregnant people, young kids with no work ethic, older people without the ability to lift 40lbs or move fast... she's not meaning to single them out. But when we hire people who aren't able to do the job and with planned loa that will effectively leave the work center empty its enough to make you scream and run for the degreaser. I've got several we let hang on and they make me nuts every time I have to compensate.

It doesn't sound like you'd make that list and I'm hoping to stay the same at your age, which is coming faster than I'd like. But not everyone can make circles around people half their age...

Back