Is this Real Life? (A Market vent thread)

If Target wants to get serious about the food business, then they should stop with all these FDC cuts. 65% of my order got cut. Way to go! Let's sell air to guests.

This happens to us alot with berries when they go on sale...i dont know how many times they have cut me when we really needed them for a sale

Regarding autofills (and CAFs), which ones would you say would be bigger, morning autofills, the 1 o'clock autofill or the 3's? Just generally speaking. How about during the weekends? How is it generally? I work in the morning so I only have an idea on for the morning autofills. When they stop cutting hours, then I guess I can check out the afternoon autofills (the 1's).

So at my store the morning autofills are the largest. Most store that I've worked at and my peers say autofills are the largest. This is because it is filling things to depth based off what it believes the floors on hands are. The 1's are not that large because theyre mostly for the things that are out of stock or critically low like two or below for that day, these critically low values can vary too because they are based of system triggers and that takes into account sales. The 5's tend to be larger because on weekends we are busier and its later in the day and so there are more lows and outs to fill. But all in all the autofills are the larger because they are depth to fills and such.

This happens to us alot with berries when they go on sale...i dont know how many times they have cut me when we really needed them for a sale
Make sure your on hands are correct. They do that when on hands are off. Often happens with avocados and berries. If you're going to order alot make sure that the count is accurate or low so that they dont cut you.

I'm in talks to become a PA, but none of my co-workers are happy with that.

Why? Simply, they want others in the spot of a PA that will know our Meat Department but I don't think anyone else is interested to become a PA to be a leader but to simply have the title and pay.

My ETL was talking to me about owning my own process, and I've mentioned that numerous times here where I'd love to be the one owning my own process and working the department and he specifically mentioned a "process" that I thought our Frozen PA did... zone. Apparently, no one zones, and our Frozen PA who I thought took care of that, apparently never does, and he's the one being the most vocal and pessimistic about me becoming a PA.

Frankly, I couldn't care what everyone else thinks, but it's just sort of like... why all of the dislike? I'm gonna push myself for this position, I'll learn Meat if I really have to, no, I have to, but I wouldn't be working there when I get PA is what my ETL says.

The one guy they want in that PA position if it ever opens back up is a guy that just knows meat, but if he gets PA he won't have a team to lead. That's why I want the position, to lead the team, to lead the process, and to get shit done.

I have a few ideas on how to get freight moved onto shelves faster, I believe I know how to set time aside for zoning and audit hunting/outs/research, and getting qmos done every day. I was going to speak to my leaders and ETL-HR and Food on that tomorrow and seeing if I can move forward with their "challenges" and to see if I can challenge myself to do more than just stocking the shelves and involving myself more into the BTS processes.

We don’t even have PAs anymore. I just gave ownership of certain departments within market to my TMs. I’ve talked to my HRBP about the position and he says that it’s not really a thing in the new model.
My TM leaders kind of naturally rose to it and do a great job at leading the process when I cant.

We don’t even have PAs anymore. I just gave ownership of certain departments within market to my TMs. I’ve talked to my HRBP about the position and he says that it’s not really a thing in the new model.
My TM leaders kind of naturally rose to it and do a great job at leading the process when I cant.

yeah we're getting a remodel this summer but that's all I believe, so none of the new modernization plans.

Yeah, there is no official position between TM and TL anywhere in my store anymore. I believe we have a few people still who were in those positions and their pay was "grandfathered in" when they were demoted, but those raises have been obliterated by the raise in base pay already. They're now just regular TMs who are often told they're responsible for things without the actual authority or pay that's supposed to come with it.

Yeah, there is no official position between TM and TL anywhere in my store anymore. I believe we have a few people still who were in those positions and their pay was "grandfathered in" when they were demoted, but those raises have been obliterated by the raise in base pay already. They're now just regular TMs who are often told they're responsible for things without the actual authority or pay that's supposed to come with it.

Or TMs on the bench...treated the same way.

I'm in talks to become a PA, but none of my co-workers are happy with that.

Why? Simply, they want others in the spot of a PA that will know our Meat Department but I don't think anyone else is interested to become a PA to be a leader but to simply have the title and pay.

My ETL was talking to me about owning my own process, and I've mentioned that numerous times here where I'd love to be the one owning my own process and working the department and he specifically mentioned a "process" that I thought our Frozen PA did... zone. Apparently, no one zones, and our Frozen PA who I thought took care of that, apparently never does, and he's the one being the most vocal and pessimistic about me becoming a PA.

Frankly, I couldn't care what everyone else thinks, but it's just sort of like... why all of the dislike? I'm gonna push myself for this position, I'll learn Meat if I really have to, no, I have to, but I wouldn't be working there when I get PA is what my ETL says.

The one guy they want in that PA position if it ever opens back up is a guy that just knows meat, but if he gets PA he won't have a team to lead. That's why I want the position, to lead the team, to lead the process, and to get shit done.

I have a few ideas on how to get freight moved onto shelves faster, I believe I know how to set time aside for zoning and audit hunting/outs/research, and getting qmos done every day. I was going to speak to my leaders and ETL-HR and Food on that tomorrow and seeing if I can move forward with their "challenges" and to see if I can challenge myself to do more than just stocking the shelves and involving myself more into the BTS processes.

What I would recommend you do is be vocal that you are willing to learn and that no leader goes into a position knowing everything and then apologize and own the zoning situation and be like from this point forward I will zone and see through he process to up keep your brand and drive sales.

Hey y'all long time no see. With everythibg changing up lately I thought id pop in and see whats going on.

My main question is that my food team lead is talking about changing the scheduleing to have team members more staggered.....to the poont where theres barely any overlap ie: only one person there at a time. Has anyone else changed to this, is this a new process, or is my boss full of shit? ( banking on the third one)

Locke, I can only see that working if you are at a very low volume store. If there is only 1 TM available at a time, FDC unloads will take forever unless your trucks are extremely small. I hope your receiver likes babysitting pallets for 30 minutes while one lone consumables TM drags however many heavy pallets all over the store. While open to close coverage would be nice, having one TM at a time means there will be no one to cover their breaks, and they will have zero sales floor presence when pulling batches or working in the coolers. There is also very little accountability to be had, unless your all of your LODs are happy to constantly check in on grocery. It sounds like a stinker to me. Do you know what your store leadership hopes to accomplish with this scheduling?

Locke, I can only see that working if you are at a very low volume store. If there is only 1 TM available at a time, FDC unloads will take forever unless your trucks are extremely small. I hope your receiver likes babysitting pallets for 30 minutes while one lone consumables TM drags however many heavy pallets all over the store. While open to close coverage would be nice, having one TM at a time means there will be no one to cover their breaks, and they will have zero sales floor presence when pulling batches or working in the coolers. There is also very little accountability to be had, unless your all of your LODs are happy to constantly check in on grocery. It sounds like a stinker to me. Do you know what your store leadership hopes to accomplish with this scheduling?
And 1 call off and you are screwed.

Ok I got with her again to try and clatify, my stl and her are trying to go back to a previous method. Also to clarify im in the p fresh side. In my store we have 3 tm in p fresh , one for produce/meat one for dairy and one for frozen. Havibg the team members staggered apart rather than having them cone in at he same time.

So the idea is the produce tm will come in and do all the cull zone etc in p fresh then pull/push/backstock the autofills and then work the pallets do backstock and shoot outs etc .Then at a later time the next tm will come in and do the same but it would be for dairy and so on. (Basicly adhearing to the true end to end modle from what I can tell)

The way we are operating now produce and frozen cone in at 6 and the dairy guy comes in at 7 and we have the frozen tm do all the pulls / residual backstock from lastnight and the other two wave the zone , audit, sda , pallets and pulls through out the rest of the day. The frozen tm does the accumulated trash and backstock the other two tm create. Then we shoot outs and do any cleaning we can get to before the closer comes in.

Im sorry if I lead you to misunderstand but from what i can gather (she really didnt want to talk about it) thats what they have in mind. Writing it all out it seems silly to me now but it looks like they want to crack down and have us adhere to a more standardized method, rather than us figureing out what works best.

Last edited:
Market at my store has now become an absolute shitshow. There were 4+ pallets leftover from Thursday's C&S load when we received today. We are about that many pallets behind almost every time a shipment comes in. Similarly, there are usually at least 4 uboats of dry truck that roll over every day, sometimes more.

My store unlocated every pfresh backroom except freezer recently, which basically ensures we are going to be leaving huge amounts of product in the backroom to rot. The department basically always looks like garbage and the shelves are always empty. Market is in a worse state than I've ever seen it. My FTL was recently ripped to shreds by some regional TL or something who came to our store and told him he needed to just make do with what he's got, even though there is clearly not enough payroll being allocated to the department.

The end result is increased turnover, the team that used to push C&S all quit because they were tired of the pressure. Which then just compounds the problem.

I am so glad my store is the first stop for the FDC. And usually it is on time minus the traffic. Target is so dumb to changing it to morning deliveries. Do they not know traffic is heavy during the morning rush?

I am so glad my store is the first stop for the FDC. And usually it is on time minus the traffic. Target is so dumb to changing it to morning deliveries. Do they not know traffic is heavy during the morning rush?
Push all day long now. My truck used to arrive 6 am now it arrives at 9 or 10 am.

Push all day long now. My truck used to arrive 6 am now it arrives at 9 or 10 am.
When the shelves are empty, tell the guest that the truck didn't arrive yet. Haha

The thing is with these trucks coming in late, the team really doesn't want to hang around past 10:30 am or 12pm then the mid suffers and then it just backfires on the morning crew.

That's Target's way of selling. Same when they push outrageous amounts of berries. We can't TPC them to 99c or they will complain about margin but throwing them out we won't even get a penny.

Market at my store has now become an absolute shitshow. There were 4+ pallets leftover from Thursday's C&S load when we received today. We are about that many pallets behind almost every time a shipment comes in. Similarly, there are usually at least 4 uboats of dry truck that roll over every day, sometimes more.

We smart huddle and help out when PFresh is behind on pushing their product. Your LOD or ETL needs to step up and get Market some help.

(We also have helped Flow and POG at Smart Huddles, too.)

We're not p-fresh yet, but the last few weeks with delivery changes, our dairy and frozen delivery has shown up at 630, all well and good except we went to a 7 o'clock unload, so no one is there yet

Back