Archived Just say....Yes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, another thread was posted about this, but the OP of that thread asked me to take it down. My GSTL and I talked today, and now we get to talk to all the cashiers. Basically, they want TMs, when cashiering, to just give it to the guest. Cashiers are to be very liberal with the empowerment policy. No arguing with guests for coupons, promotions, or price changes under $20. If it's over $20, then they can call over the GSA/GSTL for assistance.

There are a few other things that were more store specific, I believe...asking each and every guest about the "Spot Rewards Card" within 15 seconds, signing the bottom of each receipt, and circling the survey log in information with a highlighter. There were a few other things about being all smiley, having fun, blah, blah, blah.

And yes, each person has to sign the back of the sheet after going over it with someone...they claim so they know who we've talked to and who still needs to be brought into the loop.

Confirmation.
It sounded like the extreme kind of measures Spot is prone towards which was why I believed the OP.

Rather than paddling down the middle of the river Spot will flail wildly from one side to the other, not really caring who gets knocked off the boat in the process.

No way! That is a little bit to much to do, now a days. It reminds when we had the walk the pharmacy info sheet on the sales floor. We were required to talk about the pharmacy rewards/services for 5 minutes with each guest. Then, sign off on a sheet. Almost bad as power hour or a tm walking around & saying CIHYFS to every guest for 30 minutes.

We aren't going to the extreme the other poster's store is with only the STL being allowed to say no. But I suspect this is going to be the land only scammers could love.

I already had one of our little old lady cashiers arguing with me about a $6 price change. After the guest left, I told her straight away, if it was under $20, I don't want to hear about it. I think she may have gotten it.

Signing the receipt and then getting the highlighter out really added time to each order. I don't like that at all. But, if he wants it done, then I am there to lead by example.

Weird. Wonder if it's a pilot program or something? My opening GSTL and ETL-GE said nothing about it, and the only memo passed off to me to forward along to cashiers/SD was about the plus size RTW line being delayed due to production issues or something.

We've always kicked-off survey circling at random times throughout the year when service scores start to dip, since it encourages guests who had "amazing" experiences to fill them out along with all the pissed off guests. Signing the receipt seems like a waste of time, and is kind of redundant...

Stephen-Colbert-I-Told-You-So.gif

The $20 thing is good and I usually just pass it along unless there's an issue (i.e. more than $20, gift card didn't come up, etc.) My store does circling the survey (or at least we're supposed to, but no one really does), but signing the receipt is absurd. I'm not giving someone my full name in any form when it isn't warranted, especially guests. But we really DO need to bend over backwards right now to make the guests feel more confident (falsely, of course) since we've had so much bad publicity and my store has had an especially rough week. It's sad, I know, but if we don't build their confidence back up so they come shopping here again, the end may be in sight...

We only have to put our first name down. I've seen receipts from other stores in the area when doing returns, and we aren't the only one doing it. My cashiers are all refusing right now, so this could get interesting. I already told the ETL-GE that I am not going to be the heavy on this one and will follow the lead of whatever the TLs/LODs want. So for now, I'm mentally rolling my eyes and leading by example.

cel said:
Weird. Wonder if it's a pilot program or something? My opening GSTL and ETL-GE said nothing about it, and the only memo passed off to me to forward along to cashiers/SD was about the plus size RTW line being delayed due to production issues or something.
The new policy starts on Sunday the 2nd.

Still hadn't been mentioned at my store as of noon today. Guess I'll see if I hear anything about it next week since I'm off tomorrow.

Well, at least I won't be surprised today when I go in....We had one GSA that was basically doing this when she worked anyway - any issues we had come up last weekend, she would just do to make the guest happy. The others were running or sending runners for info and such. At least I would have had to QMOS that tub of cream cheese last weekend (I just didn't feel comfortable doing it - yet it was basically a $2 price challenge... this guest was not buying a ton of groceries, just picking up a few things.)Anyway, since I haven't had any official training in this type of stuff anyway - I guess this will be it!

We are "supposed" to point out the survey in the pharmacy 100% of the time, but, quite honestly, I do it about 1/2 of the time. By the time we get done asking them everything else (Name/address, any Qs for the RPh?, RxRewards, are they aware of our texting program, etc.), I can see their eyes glazing over and can tell they (and I) are just DONE so it's pretty much worthless to even mention anything else at that point. About the only time I REALLY make a point of it is when we've gone "above and beyond" (like the other day when I saved a guest almost $100 simply by applying one of our free discount cards that our "Be Well competitor" doesn't offer :) ) and they want to know how they can "show their appreciation".

JcPenney associates are supposed to write their name and mention the survey, every single time. And ask about their credit card, every single time. Seems we are just catching up with some of the competitors. Honestly, it makes sense for Penney's because they are often the people who help me while I am shopping not for Target...the cashiers 90% of the time are "just"cashiers...I don't get to put my name on the receipt while at the fitting room(as an example)

The "yes to everything" does not extend to doing anything out of the ordinary at guest services for us. We already do pretty much anything we can to help legitimate guests. So at least I can hide back there for a lot of this.

Well, at least I won't be surprised today when I go in....We had one GSA that was basically doing this when she worked anyway - any issues we had come up last weekend, she would just do to make the guest happy. The others were running or sending runners for info and such. At least I would have had to QMOS that tub of cream cheese last weekend (I just didn't feel comfortable doing it - yet it was basically a $2 price challenge... this guest was not buying a ton of groceries, just picking up a few things.)Anyway, since I haven't had any official training in this type of stuff anyway - I guess this will be it!
Yeah, one GSTL is infamous for doing this. Guest says the humidifier is 14.99 when it's 44.99? He changes it. We had about five guests in a row the other day who all bought the same humidifier and got the reduction.There's about three guest service ladies who refuse to do returns against policy that he says they have to do. They all tell him to do it himself, which I am perfectly in favor of. You want to do the return/price change/whatever it is against policy, you do it.

I heard nothing about it. I had a decent price change p, but had the GSA do it since I asked first (at the $29 mark).Then AP was happy because I had a recovery or something. About those panties shoved in the backpack..... FFF was hard today, I felt like crap. Food poisoning or something else, something zapped me last night/this morning. I regretted taking the shift when they called yesterday.... Anyway, Tuesday I'm already supposed to be getting some quick training so we will see what is mentioned then.

Hmm...I didn't necessarily get the impression when I talked to the ETL-GE that this was something that came from above. It might have, or maybe the stores were just told to be vibe-tastic and left to their own devices to implement it (though that really isn't Spot's way). Weird that two of us have gotten directives that sort of match, and no one has. And no, we aren't in the same group or anything.

The $20 thing was always in play... when the guests got wind of it and tried to use it to their advantage we changed to "reasonable amount" but in essence the cashiers and service desk teams have always been able to use empowerment to make things right for the guest. Like it or not, the company has had a really bad two months, and at this point we need to come together as an entire team to get guests shopping in the store again. What would you rather do... change a price downward and have a happy guest, or consistently say no and eventually down the line the guests will stop shopping at our stores and we'll all be out of jobs.

Make no mistake, I am not the "bleed the Red and Khaki" type, I think there is so much this company and its stores can do better. But at this stage of the game it's all about building the guests trust back so they'll come to our stores.

If a TL says do it, they need to suck it up and do it. What returns are they refusing to do?
The one I recall is the return of an iPad past the 30 days. The guest didn't have a RedCard, so it wasn't 60 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back