Archived memorizing backroom fillgroup - department number alignment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if anyone else has done this, but do the backroom team members at your store memorize department numbers to align them with the fillgroups? it makes breaking down our trucks alot quicker

2 - PLAS, BPLS
3 - CHEM
7 - BB01, BBo2, DIPR
8, 80 - elec, belc, scty
9 - SEA1
12 - MM2
22 - WMNS
30 - IFUR, BB02
36 - ?GIRL?
37, 52, 63 - HB02
40 - MENS
47, 69, 82, 88, 91 - SPRT
49 - HB01
51 - SEA1, SEA2
52 - HBO2, COSM
53, 54, 240 - STAT
55 - CNDY, HCDY(class 0 - holloween, class 3 - xmas, class 7 - valentine's day, class 8 easter)
56, 59 - MM1
57, 58 - BATT
60, 62 - BEDS
64 - BATH
65, 70, 74, 200 - HOME
67, 68 - DOM
69 - LUGG
71 - SNCK
72 - PLUG, PLAS, DOM
74 - LAMP
74, 249 - FURN
77 - SHO2
77, 93, 96, 98 - SHO1
81 - OFCE
82 - BIKE
83 - PETS, PET2
84 - SEA2
85, 92 - HIPA
86 - TOY1
87 - TOY2
94, 245 - PHAR
203 - BEV1, BEV2
204 - TOY3
207 - ELEC, SCTY
212, 231 - GRC1, GRC3
231, 261 - GRC2
234 - BUCK
240 - SEA3
253 - PAPR, CHEM
284, 83 - DARY
286 - CNDY, LIQR

I know I don't know the softlines ones real well. BOYS, JLRY and ACCS I can never remember a single one for. Also I've never paid attention to any differences between PRO1, PRO2, MEAT, MTCL, DELI, MTFZ, BAKE, FRZN. Has anybody else tried to memorize these? And does anybody know which ones I might be missing? I'd like to have a complete list, as online planogram only lists it by department type, not by fillgroup, which can be different.

Last edited:
I saw one yesterday when I was helping pull CAFs. I didn't know what it stood for. What the hell is BELC?

I saw one yesterday when I was helping pull CAFs. I didn't know what it stood for. What the hell is BELC?
Bulk Electronics, like TVs basically. I think it used to be larger stereos and subwoofers when our store still carried them.

When I was overnight BR I memorized them all. Basically have to when you are bowling out the truck. Now that I am dayside it really helps when I'm using SUBT. I wish every TM had to start out in overnight before they came to dayside. Would make everyone's job easier

I know most but I can pretty much get it right by looking at the store aisle number or the shape of the box lol. The one area I don't know is soft-lines but that is usually easy by what is written on the box anyway.

If I remember correctly, department 96 is shoes. I've had to type in so many DPCIs for tagless shoes when cashing.

To answer your question, Yes every backroom team member does this, whether they realize it or not. It is something that every backroom team member deals with everyday.
I could not make a list like this of the top of my head, but you put a box in front of me with the dpci, i will know exactly where it goes.

Not me. I keep as much work stuff out if my brain as possible. I know FURN, but that's about it.

Here's an idea though. Let's give CNDY and HCDY the same dept #, but put their aisles in separate back rooms!

Not sure if this is helpful but.. produce is 211, 224, 266 and 267. Meat is 210 and Deli is 216.

Here's an idea though. Let's give CNDY and HCDY the same dept #, but put their aisles in separate back rooms!

At my store, we have a separate stockroom for the majority of dry food, and all of Dept. 55 is in the same one. Only the pallets are elsewhere.

I'm terrible at memorizing numbers, but I know that when I get a sales floor request that starts with 249, it's going to be a bad time.

Same with phone calls and GSTL/Guest Service requests. And most times that the Housewares call button goes off, it's for team lift furniture.

its not just shoes, its women's non-cavass shoes specifically.

Right. I forget that our male guests don't rip off the tags.

It's good to know the numbers for fill groups because once you know them, you can associate the backroom locations with fill groups.

I'm terrible at memorizing numbers, but I know that when I get a sales floor request that starts with 249, it's going to be a bad time.

Oh look. A tub with a TV stand and some home storage bins on it. I think these home storage bins can fit on a 3 tier nope I didn't notice the TV stand nope just the bins.

Alternatively,

Bitchy indyme lady - "Fast service needed in domestics, who is responding?"
Me - "Team I'm with a guest can someone get that?"

I am never in the mood to help in furniture ugh

It's good to know the numbers for fill groups because once you know them, you can associate the backroom locations with fill groups.

Do you guys stores not have the little signs on the ends of each backroom aisle that says the fill groups for that aisle and the department numbers for that aisle?

my store does but it's good to know when someone asks you to pull something over the walkie. If you know the numbers, you can already tell what type of item you will be pulling before you enter the entire DPCI in the pda

For example, if it starts with 249, it's furniture and chances are you will need a flat

I worked in the backroom and had them memorized after about 3 months. I worked with people who have been there fit years and didn't know them. I amaze the front end team members with my knowledge. Lol. I do agree that everyone should start out on flow. I find that the people who worked on nights that now work days have a better work ethic and appreciation of zones than people who just stayed on days. We are also faster. Lol

Some of the Soflines ones....

Boys = 46, 76
Girls = 32, 202, 205
Boys/Girls Basics = 36
Boys/Girls Sleepwear = 75
Boys/Girls Active (C9) = 39
NIT = 30, 33
RTW = 13, 14, 16, 17, 20, 259, 282 (there are more but that's some...)
Women's Swimwear = 238
Women's Outerwear = 283
Women's Active/ C9 = 214
Men's = 40, 42, 43
Men's Active (C9) = 41
Men's Outerwear = 281
Accessories = 61, 90
Women's Shoes = 96
Boys/Girls Shoes = 93
C9/Converse/Men's Shoes = 98
Seasonal Shoes (Slippers/flip flops) = 77

Last edited:
There are 2 reports on workbench you can get that gives you all of the information you want.
One lists fill groups with department numbers (such as 234 = buck) which is mostly used by the backroom , the other gives a breakdown of categories for department and class (such as 086-03 = novelty, 086-07 = dolls)* which is mostly used by pricing.
*numbers are examples only, I do not remember them

Back in the day I used to know all the department-classes for entertainment. It was great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back