Merit Raises & Reviews: 2023 Edition

But that's the problem: there's plenty of high-school and college students willing to work at Target for the current base wage ($17.75 hour in our area). Bumping the base raise is a nasty kick in the ass to existing TMs who know how to perform their jobs, know the things to be careful about, etc. Target's alleged "Team Member Retention" program is just window-dressing.

Didn't apply to those who have been with the company over 20 years. (she said with a sad smile)

I've decided:
  • they don't plan on tm's staying for more than a few years
  • they seem to forget about those who have worked for the company 20+ even 10+ (yeah anniversary gifts but not pay bumps, seniority etc.
  • the more they pay the less hours they give in general (ASANTS)
This is not meant to be criticism of the employees or the company, but more encouragement to the tm's to change. The harsh reality is, (speaking as someone who has worked for the company a good deal more than 20 yrs) the company won't change so we have to. I would like to tell every rookie,"Leave at the first good chance you get, DON'T make this your life."

Last edited:
I've decided:
  • they seem to forget about those who have worked for the company 20+ even 10+ (yeah anniversary gifts but not pay bumps, seniority etc.
This is not meant to be criticism of the employees or the company, but more encouragement to the tm's to change. The harsh reality is, (speaking as someone who has worked for the company a good deal more than 20 yrs) the company won't change so we have to. I would like to tell every rookie,"Leave at the first good chance you get, DON'T make this your life."
Would love to double thumbs up this!! At this stage in the game of life, we long timers stay to convey just that warning to the next generation. Then crawl back in our caves of despair till another young one starts to figure it out and ask questions about the BS elephant in the room lol.

I've decided:
To be honest, at this point I literally am praying for strength and success in finding a different job and employer. Fortunately, I don't think all that much about working at Target after hours. When I do worry about it, it's because in reality my paycheck isn't adequate. My spouse and I can barely pay the mortgage, routine health expenses, personal transportation (car expenses), food, utilities etc. I mistakenly hoped working at Target would be a decent career path.

Target doesn't care if the same mistakes get made over-and-over by new TMs hired off-the-street, rather than having a skilled and experienced workforce. "Skilled and experienced" employees not only can perform the routine day-to-day functions of their jobs, but are prepared for random adverse situations which can shut down productivity. When the machinery fails, the TMs know how to fix it or how to get repair help right away. When there's too much merchandise to shove into crowded shelves, experienced TMs know how to properly "flex" stuff while also removing inappropriate price tags and signage for different merchandise and replacing with correct tags and signage. Costco is an example of a competitor that "gets it". H-E-B "gets it". Aldi "gets it".

To be honest, at this point I literally am praying for strength and success in finding a different job and employer. Fortunately, I don't think all that much about working at Target after hours. When I do worry about it, it's because in reality my paycheck isn't adequate. My spouse and I can barely pay the mortgage, routine health expenses, personal transportation (car expenses), food, utilities etc. I mistakenly hoped working at Target would be a decent career path.

Target doesn't care if the same mistakes get made over-and-over by new TMs hired off-the-street, rather than having a skilled and experienced workforce. "Skilled and experienced" employees not only can perform the routine day-to-day functions of their jobs, but are prepared for random adverse situations which can shut down productivity. When the machinery fails, the TMs know how to fix it or how to get repair help right away. When there's too much merchandise to shove into crowded shelves, experienced TMs know how to properly "flex" stuff while also removing inappropriate price tags and signage for different merchandise and replacing with correct tags and signage. Costco is an example of a competitor that "gets it". H-E-B "gets it". Aldi "gets it".
I used to do all that. Fix signs, zone daily from losers the shift before, fix pogs, correct backstock errors...a proper DBO. Now, since the new TL s can't even set a Pog , can't work a boat for 5 mins , don't respond to gs calls...for the guest...then why the hell should I extend myself anymore. Bare minimum and save energy for outside life.

I used to do all that. Fix signs, zone daily from losers the shift before, fix pogs, correct backstock errors...a proper DBO. Now, since the new TL s can't even set a Pog , can't work a boat for 5 mins , don't respond to gs calls...for the guest...then why the hell should I extend myself anymore. Bare minimum and save energy for outside life.
So true.

A TM in my department asked me the other day whether the Closing TL saw her on her phone.

I replied you were on the phone (face timing no less) and arguing on it from of guests your entire shift.

She is too stupid to realize there are cameras everywhere.

I complained to my TL months ago about this but I think they are more concerned with maintain staffing levels whether they do any work or not.

That's exactly when I stopped caring about my department and just did my work and go home now.

Searched the forums and found nothing.

My store started the conversations this week and I'm already hearing $0.04, $0.09, and other miserable bumps.

If you feel comfortable sharing, feel free.
Used to be 5% for TM's & 6% for leaders but that changed this year now it's only 4% for TM's and 5% for leaders.
Personally, I got a 5.01% bump, thankfully my SD said I'm doing pretty good. But now I could be terminated any day so my how stuff changes quickly. :(

I am right there with you so hang in there! Any chance for a promotion? Because that is the only way you'll make a decent amount of money

The vast majority in my store would leave in a heart beat if they could find another job. There is definitely no loyalty, pride in the job or a sense of family left in my store. It's sad because it doesn't have to be like that but, as it has always been, "love it or leave it".

I wish they would tell team members when they interview them now.: 1)This is a part time job, don't plan on many hours. 2) This is NOT a job that will easily pay your bills 3) Your hours WILL vary for example, 31 hours one week, 10 the next and maybe 22 the following week. If they agree to that then so be it if not then they know to look elsewhere instead of wasting everyone's time including their own.

Back