Archived Minimum Wage

Status
Not open for further replies.

HRZone

Former ETL HR
What is the difference between Targets starting pay and the minimum wage in your area?

Our state has a 9.47 minimum wage but out store starts everyone at 13 dollars an hour as we move towards a 15 dollar minimum wage state wide. My last two stores both paid 15 an hour.

I was reading the HR guide about pay and one of the Q&A asked why they don't people above the minimum wage get a raise when the minimum wage rises

Last edited:
Minimum wage = $9.50
Target starting pay = $10.00
Honestly wish they payed more here, cost of living is high as shit and even working full time @10$ an hour you can't get an apartment, much less actually even get 40 hours a week.

I'm pretty sure the store's still $10. DC is more.

Store is a bit higher than state minimum

Ours is $2 over minimum wage.

Those explanations on the guide seem so condescending. I especially love the "pay for performance" bit followed by calling it "different economic times" when it's erased as new hires make what you had to earn.

8.25 min, 10.50 starting. 15/hr is wrong for min wage! Sorry in advance!

The only downside I can think of with the whole $15/hr debate is that it unfairly penalizes workers that have spent time with Target and who will not see an increase in their wages that is commensurate with their experience. So, established worker that spent years working at Target to get to $15/hr is being overshadowed by that new employee starting out at $15/hr with zero experience. $15/hr is good in theory and one that I think could benefit Target down the road, especially considering how high their turnover rate is, but you may see a falling out between established workers.

With that said, Target made about $70+ Billion in sales last year compared with Wal-mart which made close to $500B and Costco which made close to $120B. Costco is known to pay their workers decent wages and are able to retain employees longer. Wal-mart is known to pay sh*t wages which is probably why their annual revenues are through the roof. In short, Target could afford to pay better wages and increase their standing in the retail sector, but with their latest series of screw ups it's biting them in the @ss. I'm of the opinion that if you're a huge retail chain with billions in revenue then you should pay better wages to your employees, otherwise you'll continue to lose workers and struggle to find new replacements. The retail sector is brutal and one I would count as some of the crappiest work there is.

7.25 in my lousy commonwealth state and start at 10.00.

Im a welder by trade, starting wage for a journeyman welder is anywhere from $13.00 and up or roughly at least 5.00$ above minimum wage. This has nothing to do with target or any company specific. When minimum wage is lifted to 15.00$ for any job, it puts skilled trade jobs at risk of losing their value economically. Companies will now have to offer 5.00$ above 15.00 or the minimum just for incentive alone and that is not fair! It may not be affordable at all. Scary! Its too far of a jump too fast.

With this hike in min wages youl now have a skilled, taught industrial welder/painter/carpenter etc, taking home to his family the same amount an 18 year old child does from his first job at a fast food joint! Insane! There is no incentive for the industry, it is so unlikely companies will adhere to the adjustment for many years.

Anyway, may be off topic and i apologize.

Last edited:
With the implementation of the $15 minimum wage in certain jurisdictions, some workers that had spent quite some time working up to that amount (in one instance 5 years) received a negligible increase to offset the new base rate resulting in many now making only 25 to 50 cents per hour more than new TMs coming in with absolutely no experience (1st time job for many). Needless to say, morale decreased.

As far as the $15 rate, it certainly may not be appropriate for some areas with a lower cost of living. Certain areas have an extraordinarily high cost of living - ex: a small 400 sq ft studio may only cost $400-$600 in some parts of the country while in others the same property will hit your bank account for $1200 or even more. It's all relative which means a blanket statement for or against a $15 minimum wage is inaccurate and should instead be focused on a particular economic area or zone. In my area $1800/month will get you a very nice studio or a clean 1-bedroom but, you may have difficulty finding a 2-bedroom at all unless you travel far into the suburban wilderness. At the same time $1800/month in another part of the country will provide for an extremely nice 3 bedroom house or an uber-swanky loft to host your next sexy party complete with fruity cocktails (oooontz oooontz oooontz).

Overall, minimum wage is exactly that: the minimum allowable hourly wage rate and has nothing to do with a minimum living wage. Without getting too deep into the controversy, I feel that is where the discussion needs to be taken with our wonderful government.

Im a welder by trade, starting wage for a journeyman welder is anywhere from $13.00 and up or roughly at least 5.00$ above minimum wage. This has nothing to do with target or any company specific. When minimum wage is lifted to 15.00$ for any job, it puts skilled trade jobs at risk of losing their value economically. Companies will now have to offer 5.00$ above 15.00 or the minimum just for incentive alone and that is not fair! It may not be affordable at all. Scary! Its too far of a jump too fast.

With this hike in min wages youl now have a skilled, taught industrial welder/painter/carpenter etc, taking home to his family the same amount an 18 year old child does from his first job at a fast food joint! Insane! There is no incentive for the industry, it is so unlikely companies will adhere to the adjustment for many years.

Anyway, may be off topic and i apologize.

An increase to $15/hr would also kill small business that simply cannot afford to pay that kind of money.

Yeah man. It doesnt help the poor. It hurts them, there will be less job demand in the long term. Anyway, good thread!

I'm speculating here but there are two sides here and that is, one group of workers, ie. those that don't make much, are the ones in favor of $15/hr. Makes sense because it benefits them without having to work their way through the ranks to earn it. Then there's the other group of workers who have been with company A for years (not necessarily Target) and had to earn their wages over time. I remember when I was in college I worked a job making $6.50/hr and I didn't b*tch about life being too hard. I was also in college full-time and living on my own. Yes, things were cheaper yrs back but it was still difficult and I did my best.

However, I do think mega corporate entities like Wal-Mart and such should be held to a higher standard and pay better wages, but it's a two way street. If you don't like making crappy wages then find a job that pays better. They're out there, you just have to look. I know there are a lot of desperate people out there that will work wherever just to have a job but just think, if the Targets and Wal-Marts of the world didn't have enough workers then they'd be forced to raise their wages to keep up with demand. No workers = no bodies to help drive sales. I know I sound like i'm flip-flopping but i'm merely showing that there are 2 sides to everything.

In my area (we now have $15/hour) the push was to enable people to earn a "living wage" however, this was and is, in my opinion, a flawed mode of thought. Firstly, 15 is not a living wage in my area and has not been for some time yet in the newspapers and during the marches you heard completely the opposite: "this will solve our financial woes!". I did/do not agree with this. I do agree minimums should be adjusted on a regular basis to keep in sync with inflation however I did not agree 15 was the correct number. Perhaps it was more? Perhaps less? A study was commissioned ($500k in taxpayer dollars) but it contained quite a bit of ambiguity.

Too, if there was to be an increase should it be such a drastic amount and if so, why have the laws not kept up in the first place? Such a large jump in a short amount of time would most certainly force undue hardship onto small businesses and larger corporate entities alike. I spoke at a public hearing forum explaining my thoughts and suggested the study be performed by a financial or academic organization far from our jurisdiction to ensure a pure unbiased result. I received much boo'ing from the crowd. Ultimately, they selected a local source. I was also verbally skeptic that such an increase would not raise inflation or cause the undue burdens I mentioned above. More boo'ing from the audience. meh.....

In the end the new rate passed and everyone rejoiced - the dawning of a new age and all that. I sighed. Within a year the cost of living has increased proportionally and these same "social justice warriors" are back on the streets screaming that they don't have enough to live on ... again. It's economics 101: as median income rises so do costs associated with necessities such as housing, food, etc etc etc. If this were not the case we would still be able to buy a brand new car for $200.

Again, the minimum wage laws are just that: a minimum hourly wage law installed to prevent workers from being taken advantage of as has so frequently happened in the past. The discussion should really be: what is the minimum living wage and how do we get there. In my area, it was calculated to be approximately $57,000/year in the metro and $42,000/year in the burbs. That equates to roughly $27 and $20 per hour if do my mind-maths correctly. Are we prepared to do that? Are we prepared to pay fast food workers, unskilled laborers and <drum roll> me that amount? Or do we keep a decent minimum wage, discuss living wage regulations then refocus our attentions on providing the much needed education to our citizens so they advance, grow and thrive thus enabling us to become, once again, a world power to be partnered with?

Interesting topic but ... sorry mods! ...far off from the OP's original question.

Your answer, OP: 35 cents more than minimum I believe.

Starting pay here is around $7.50, I believe. HR informed me that base pay was $10 an hour but I'll be starting at a base of $11 an hour because I'm in Electronics. So, that's a considerable boost above.

Our minimum wage was $7.85 and Target started at $10. But there was a vote on the ballot in November to raise the minimum wage to $10. So my store pays the minimum wage now, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back