Archived Minimum Wage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our minimum wage was $7.85 and Target started at $10. But there was a vote on the ballot in November to raise the minimum wage to $10. So my store pays the minimum wage now, lol.

You guys will probably get a raise. Target seems to be raising their wage at or above minimum wage according to most in this thread

our minimum wage goes up this saturday and in my area, but does that not go into effect until the next paycheck or how does that necessarily work

IMO, the minimum wage should be a reasonable wage comparable to the area where the store is located. For instance, I have family that lives on the east coast. If you visit McD's in the NY area you are paying almost $10 for a Big Mac meal. If you live in the south you are paying half the price. Stores will adjust prices based on region and wages. Even in my area, the stores north of me have lower prices on their groceries compared to my store. The stores to the south of me have higher prices.

our minimum wage goes up this saturday and in my area, but does that not go into effect until the next paycheck or how does that necessarily work

So every shift you work starting Saturday is paid at the higher wage. Everything before is at the old wage.

I'm a TL, so it probably won't affect me much.

Well when the tm minimum raises so does the tl minimum. Depending on how long you have been one it could be a raise or not.

Last edited:
Minimum here is apparently now $10.50. We used to be paying $10 for entry but I'm guessing if it's $10.50 we are now paying somewhere closer to $11/hr as starting pay.

Our starting rate went to $10, and a few long time tm's quit. They were tired of earning the same as the new hires.

Our starting rate went to $10, and a few long time tm's quit. They were tired of earning the same as the new hires.

THIS! Soooo this! I think wage increases should not overtake merit pay. It's ridiculous to work for ten years to earn merit increases only to have them swallowed up in the new minimum wage so that all the new hires are making just as much as the old timers who've worked so long and hard. But as I understand it, Target is not the only one who does this.

Ours is 8.50

Store starts at 10

Backroom starts at 1050

I don't even make 11 after 4 years. I welcome the 15 dollar hike. Sucks for well paid tradesmen and mom and Pop shops but I really don't care. Everyons under that wants more money

Unless they can keep the pay hike from hiking the cost of living, the $15/hr won't mean much in the long run. Typically when pay goes up, prices go up right along with it.

Our min wage went up to 11.25, and i was just told today that my pay will be 12.15ish. Honestly caught me by surprise, but on facebook i've already seen people posting the affects of the min wage hike, with businesses posting notices on their doors about raising prices due to rising min wage.

Before, min wage was 9.25, so even with the spike, i still am getting paid more on top of min wag, which is great because next semester i'll have to drastically cut my hours, and hopefully this persuades a few more tm's to stay, i've seen so many new tm's replace old ones, it almost feels like a completely new store every time i walk into work now.

While I get their frustration, you have to put it into perspective a wage hike doesn't hurt you. Yes it's annoying to think some new person makes the same as you but it's not like they make more than you.

Eventually as the wage hikes continue eventually you will get a boost as well

While I get their frustration, you have to put it into perspective a wage hike doesn't hurt you. Yes it's annoying to think some new person makes the same as you but it's not like they make more than you.

Eventually as the wage hikes continue eventually you will get a boost as well

o_O

It's very demoralizing to bust your ass for three years, get a .25 raise each time, only have to have newbies walk in at the same rate you earned by working your ass off. And we still have a high turn over rate even after the increase in minimum wage.

o_O

It's very demoralizing to bust your ass for three years, get a .25 raise each time, only have to have newbies walk in at the same rate you earned by working your ass off. And we still have a high turn over rate even after the increase in minimum wage.

If Spot gave raises that at the very least matched the cost of living increases that would be nice so that when the minimum wage is raised they are well above the ceiling.

For those who want to argue that the store wouldn't make a profit if every employee was given such a raise, I'd like to point out two things.
Studies show they will spend it in the store (once they have paid their bills) and if you can't afford to do it, you shouldn't be open.
For those of you argue that some of the employees don't deserve the level of pay they would be getting after a while, do a better job hiring and firing.
Costco keeps their people for a long time for this very reason.

Last edited:
California's minimum wage is $10.50 but businesses all around the state just increased it to $12 a few days ago, not even sure why.

California's minimum wage is $10.50 but businesses all around the state just increased it to $12 a few days ago, not even sure why.

And I'm not sure if it's all of California or just certain cities. I read that LA got an increase and like Pasadena. San Francisco went to 15, so I'm wondering if any of the rest of us will see anything??

every single person that i know got a huge raise. i went to 12 and one of our PAs went to 12.50. i think generally everyone got a raise at our store to compensate for the minimum wage going up.

And I'm not sure if it's all of California or just certain cities. I read that LA got an increase and like Pasadena. San Francisco went to 15, so I'm wondering if any of the rest of us will see anything??

It was for certain counties and not all of California yet, we did see an increase from 10.50 to $12 at our store in LA county.

It was for certain counties and not all of California yet, we did see an increase from 10.50 to $12 at our store in LA county.

Well, I was pleasantly surprised to see $12 on my pay stub today! I'm in OC so perhaps Target just raised everyone. No matter the reason - yay!! :)

You guys will probably get a raise. Target seems to be raising their wage at or above minimum wage according to most in this thread

Didn't happen in my case when I was with Spot. I started at $8.25 working in PFresh, which was 25 cents more than minimum and starting rate for cashiers and sf. Got two decent reviews and then promoted to HR clerical. Did that for a year and got an E on my review when minimum wage increased again (yay state of California!). I wound up getting a pay increase of 7 cents to push me up to 50 cents above minimum (which is what HR's normally start at). So after three years, three good reviews, and one promotion, I was hiring new TM's onto our logistics team that were making the same pay as me.

That's just one of the many issues that arise from raising minimum wage. Minimum wage laws are just protections for unskilled labor to prevent abuse of labor. It was never meant to create a standard livable wage.

Starting wage is $12 here in NYC but since I was scouted for Market rollout and aced the interview, I will be making $13.19 an hr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back