Archived Minimum Wage

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one is forcing them to live there.

So where should they live? Mississippi? I do believe the poorest state in this country. A lot of places that are cheap to live are cheap because no wants to live there because there is no work there..

I learned a long time ago, you pay a higher rent cause you can move where rent is cheaper but you spend it back in gasoline real quick or public transportation, not to mention the time to commute.

I will also tell you it takes money to pick up and move somewhere..
This.

And if there are kids in a family, it is harder to move away from family because you are often relying on them for free/low-cost child care.

I pull this off for one reason, and one reason only. I moved from a high-cost of living area to a low-cost of living area. I own my house, but even then taxes and insurance is $2-300/mo, you can't get much cheaper for "rent" than that.

Learn to budget?!

You can't budget when you get payed poverty wages.

If you make 7.25 an hour and work 40 hours a week thats $290 which is $1160 a month before taxes and healthcare get taken out so its more like $1000. Where I live you can't get an apartment, even a crappy one, for less then $700 a month.

So that leaves $300. But lets not forget utilites thats probably another $75 dollars.

Now we have $225 and well you have to get to work somehow even putting gas into your paid off old clunker is going to be $50 bucks a month minimum plus keeping it running. You want to take the bus a trip on the bus is 2.25 minimum one way, there are zone fees as well. If you plan to ride the bus twice a day five days a week you may as well save $11 and get the bus pass for $91.

So now you have $134. You havent even budgeted for "luxuries" like a phone or food and goddess help you if you have an old school loan or an emergency of any type.

If you work 40 hours a week you should not live in poverty.

The link is NSFW.

Our cashiers start at $8, or at least they did last year. That is a slight boost, but who gets 40 hours a week in retail? You totally cannot budget your way around that - there is always more month than money left.

And I live in a $19~ an hour state per the Post article. My area is probably a bit less depending on when your landlord bought the house. A friend is trying to buy the house they are renting, 1100sf, 3 bd, 1 bath and it just appraised at $70. Simple, typical starter house in my area in a so-so neighborhood.

Our cashiers start at $8, or at least they did last year. That is a slight boost, but who gets 40 hours a week in retail? You totally cannot budget your way around that - there is always more month than money left.

And I live in a $19~ an hour state per the Post article. My area is probably a bit less depending on when your landlord bought the house. A friend is trying to buy the house they are renting, 1100sf, 3 bd, 1 bath and it just appraised at $70. Simple, typical starter house in my area in a so-so neighborhood.

70 thousand for a house? In my part of the country try 300,000 for something that isn't fit to live in.

70 thousand for a house? In my part of the country try 300,000 for something that isn't fit to live in.
Yup, that was my point to the "just budget better" - I don't live in an expensive area. Budgeting isn't going to help you live on $8/hr.

When we've had starting pay increases nobody making more than that saw an increase. It's a very satisfying feeling to know that you can put in years of service and make the same amount of money as a new hire, isn't it?

Well, it wasn't like those damn nickel raises were doing any good anyways.

I just wanted to if they keep the different pay grades cause our hr person said she doesnt think so. I shouldn't make the same that a cashier makes when I work flow but my hr person is not very good lol

I'll remember that next time I'm zoning and have to move half a shelf around and take half of the product to the backroom because flow just shoved it wherever looked good...or when I have to knock a huge amount off an item for a guest again thanks to items being stocked wrong.

Yes, everyone always thinks that their job is harder than everyone else's job!

Except that some of us have done pretty much every workcenter in our store and as such have a better frame of reference for job difficulty. I can say with a great deal of confidence that flow is pretty much the easiest job in the store aside from sales floor.

Flow is the easiest but, on average, the most physically demanding which has downsides due to constant squatting, bending, and hustling. Jesus people, there isn't any job in Target that is by definition 'difficult'. We could probably make a description triangle with Flow the most physical, Guest service the most aggravating, and Salesfloor the most simple. Then just plop your job description somewhere in between the three depending on your position. Critical thinking keeps being touted as part of leadership but I'm fairly certain with the way corporate runs this company that process died long ago. I mean, when you really want to start doing dick measuring then the specialty positions like SFT, AP, or Pharmacy are the only positions in the store that are 'difficult', but comparison of the job by demands are moot because they have way different goals in mind compared to regular salesfloor/backroom positions.

The wage in this company is crap. The hours are shitty enough, but honestly if you work 40 hours at a base position you should be able to at least self sustain yourself and not be terrified of starving or losing the house. yeah, you won't be able to afford nice things but your need for shelter, basic healthy food, and transportation should be satisfied by this metric, and this is WITHOUT GOVERNMENT ASSISTANCE. It is a shitty society if people who work full time still need government assistance to make sure they aren't surviving off corndogs and macaroni. Nevermind the cost they'll place on society when we have to help them later on in their years because, funny thing, doctors have to assist people when they're dying. No one is saying retail workers need to be lauded with 60k a year, but christ give them enough so that they can actually expend energy to improve themselves. It's very dangerous when they are constantly on the brink of financial insolvency and then wagging your finger at them saying they should have done better. That's victim blaming, and I place such a person who says that in the same cesspit as people claiming that a woman deserved her rape or those kids deserved to die.

Last edited:
So I found out today I'm making .50c above the new minimum wage. It's nice to know target still cares a little about its workers. It good and bad cause a pog person who has been working for over 2 years is now making the same as me but she also got a raise too cause she was still under the new wage of $8.65

As a Market PA, Electronics looks like the easiest job in the store, I often bust my friends balls who work over there, and they agree.

In NJ, the min wage rose a few months ago from 7.50 to 8.25. They gave the current flow TM a .25 increas but new hires will still come in at 8.50.

It's really a kick in the teeth that the people that unloads trucks and life heavy shit only get a quarter more than cashiers. I mean, really?

Try being a cashier sometime, chief. I'd take flow anyday.

I'm sorry but I saw member of the flow team working at the BK after they got off work with us then they would go to work at their third job so they could afford apartments that they shared with multiple family members.
I wouldn't have survived if my wife hadn't been a teacher and in a union.
You can't in some areas.

This young lady didn't.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/28/maria-fernandes_n_5732230.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

4 jobs? Yeah, well, Crystal Meth is expensive, and necessary to be "awake for five days". I'm all for hard work and whatnot, and do believe the minimum wage needs to be raised, but anyone working THAT hard is hitting the uppers. She was cruising for an extremely early death regardless.

In NJ, the min wage rose a few months ago from 7.50 to 8.25. They gave the current flow TM a .25 increas but new hires will still come in at 8.50.

It's really a kick in the teeth that the people that unloads trucks and life heavy shit only get a quarter more than cashiers. I mean, really?

I could say the same thing. But imo, Unrealistic time goals, while expecting to accurate is tougher than cashiering. From my time a cashier, the worst you have to deal with is angry guest that misread a sale sign, and your TL usually takes care of that. With Flow, all the bs audits, micromanaging, backroom mess and stuff is just way more stressful. I think there's a reason why at most companies stockers are higher paid than cashiers.

I agree that everyone is under paid though

I could say the same thing. But imo, Unrealistic time goals, while expecting to accurate is tougher than cashiering. From my time a cashier, the worst you have to deal with is angry guest that misread a sale sign, and your TL usually takes care of that. With Flow, all the bs audits, micromanaging, backroom mess and stuff is just way more stressful. I think there's a reason why at most companies stockers are higher paid than cashiers.

I agree that everyone is under paid though

Since I have been a PA i have realized this, and have to deal with everything you mentioned above (For Flow and the same BS as Cashiers) Lately with MyTime I am somehow expected to take on more and more of Flows workload, on top of my own workload that was hilariously impossible for any human to actually complete, before MyTime even took over.

If we are all honest , we all tend to think the area we work in within Spot....is the toughest/hardest job to do. I can see where all jobs within Spot have aspects that I would never want to deal with...and some would say the same about what I do. ...its all a matter of how you look at things .

If we are all honest , we all tend to think the area we work in within Spot....is the toughest/hardest job to do. I can see where all jobs within Spot have aspects that I would never want to deal with...and some would say the same about what I do. ...its all a matter of how you look at things .

I occasionally work flow. I occasionally work cashier. I mostly work Electronics department. I'd take flow before Cashier, and Electronics before both.

Supposedly flow team gets paid more because it's more labor intensive and more important to operations... right, try removing the entire flow team and the store will still operate for a while, remove the ability to check out and your store is done. Cashiers have to keep an eye our for shoplifters, we stand at tills that have thousands and thousands of dollars in them, we have to make sure people aren't scamming us... I've worked nearly every job in the store and I think cashing is one of the more difficult and stressful jobs.

I have never been forced to go to the doctor because I threw out my back ringing up a guest. I have never fallen off a ladder ringing up a guest. I have never had a pallet dropped on my toe ringing up a guest. I have never had someone run into me with a flat bed ringing up a guest. Other than Black Friday I never had to work a zombie shift as a cashier. I missed so many more social engagements because of flow/overnight than I ever did on any other shift. Not knocking being a cashier at all as every job has its challenges but the physical toll that working flow takes on your body is far worse than anything anyone else in the store has to do. That is why they get paid more.

Supposedly flow team gets paid more because it's more labor intensive and more important to operations... right, try removing the entire flow team and the store will still operate for a while, remove the ability to check out and your store is done. Cashiers have to keep an eye our for shoplifters, we stand at tills that have thousands and thousands of dollars in them, we have to make sure people aren't scamming us... I've worked nearly every job in the store and I think cashing is one of the more difficult and stressful jobs.

I have never been forced to go to the doctor because I threw out my back ringing up a guest. I have never fallen off a ladder ringing up a guest. I have never had a pallet dropped on my toe ringing up a guest. I have never had someone run into me with a flat bed ringing up a guest. Other than Black Friday I never had to work a zombie shift as a cashier. I missed so many more social engagements because of flow/overnight than I ever did on any other shift. Not knocking being a cashier at all as every job has its challenges but the physical toll that working flow takes on your body is far worse than anything anyone else in the store has to do. That is why they get paid more.

Sounds to me like either you or your coworkers are just extremely reckless. We haven't had someone injured working flow at my store in years.

Trust me there are plenty of injuries regardless if someone goes through the hassle of claiming them or not. A lot of jobs flow/backroom require you to be 18 as well to use the equipment that is another reason why they are paid more.

Town Park Radio said:
I'm sorry but I saw member of the flow team working at the BK after they got off work with us then they would go to work at their third job so they could afford apartments that they shared with multiple family members.
I wouldn't have survived if my wife hadn't been a teacher and in a union.
You can't in some areas.

This young lady didn't.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/28/maria-fernandes_n_5732230.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

4 jobs? Yeah, well, Crystal Meth is expensive, and necessary to be "awake for five days". I'm all for hard work and whatnot, and do believe the minimum wage needs to be raised, but anyone working THAT hard is hitting the uppers. She was cruising for an extremely early death regardless.

Eh, being awake for five days does not require crystal meth. I've known many people that suffered from clinical insomnia that stayed awake that long frequently, they'd then sleep for a good 36 hours straight whenever they finally collapsed from exhaustion.

I got hired in at 8.00 when the minimum wage was 7.00. About a week later they raised the minimum wage to 7.25 and my HRTM informed us (new hires) that our pay will be upped to 8.25. From then on I thought they retrofit the paygrades...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back