Archived Minor hours question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
So I know every store has rules about how late minors can work, but what about how early? Can they do stuff in the mornings like Signage and Presentation? If that answer is no, then what about when they turn 18 but they're still in high school since I know some restrictions are removed and some stay intact?

depends on the laws in your state. there are no federal regulations, but in my state for example anyone under 18 cannot work before 7 AM. as soon as they're 18 though all restrictions are lifted, though availability will still depend on school schedule. you'd have to ask your HR to know for sure what's allowed.

In my state, even if a minor turns 18, if he/she still is in high school, the restrictions still apply. I'm pretty sure working during the morning wouldn't be allowed, and they are not able to work past 9:30 on school nights, although my store doesn't let them do so on weekends either.

In my state, even if a minor turns 18, if he/she still is in high school, the restrictions still apply. I'm pretty sure working during the morning wouldn't be allowed, and they are not able to work past 9:30 on school nights, although my store doesn't let them do so on weekends either.
Same at my store. A Softlines Team Member is my age, but just because she's still in high school and I'm in university, she is considered a minor and I am not. :S

Depends on state! for example i'm 17 and I start work at 6 am on weekends (of course)

At my store minors could not work past 9 pm, same applied if they were 18 and still in high school. This was in Texas

All States Are Not The Same

In my state, once you're 16 you can work as early/late/often as you want.

My store (district even) is very strict about minors. Mainly because my state has strict work permit requirements and schools will often have a minor submit a month of timecards and pull the work permits if the minor is in violation. On any weekday, minors cannot work longer than 3.75 hours exactly and must clock out before 9:30. Weekends and any day a minor is on "m waiver" status for winter breaks and such a minor is permitted to work up to exactly 7.75 hours and clock out before 9:30. My ETL-HR explained the .75 as a 15-minute buffer between 4 and 8 hours (the times that would put a work permit in state law violation) in case you're late to the timeclock. However, the HR team often audits the time cards of minors and will write you up if you're in violation of the 3.75/7.75 rule.

As far as the times of work, my store is actually rather flexible. The only limit my HR team has spoken of is that no minor can start before 4 AM (state work permit regulation.) I've started at 6, 6:30, 7, 7:30, and 8 AM before. As far as turning 18 but still being in high school, check your state law. In my state, at age 18, attendance at high school is not compulsory, therefore students are not required to get a work permit and can work with zero restrictions. Sometimes, we have had minors graduate at 17 (just had one last year even) and they don't need a work permit because they have their diploma, but they must still follow the federal laws regarding powered equipment and hazardous occupations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back