Movable Backroom Aisles

So if you're pulling a one for one, and fullfillment comes by as they often do to pull something from the back, now instead of you needing to move if they need your aisle, you need to move if they need an adjacent aisle too, and you have to spend time opening the other aisle and then reopening yours? Another brilliant idea courtesy of corporate...

In my store, our entire light duty got turned into 2 blocks of movable aisles. Everything except Toys and one valley of Personal Care. So basically nothing gets done because only one valley can be open at a time. Throw in fulfillment rolling through every 2 minutes to interrupt you because they need something from the next aisle and you get the total clusterfuck my store is currently dealing with.

I know that this fulfillment remodel is a company-wide thing, but my store was really already too small in the backroom. I literally do not see how this can work long-term because people are already losing their shit over all this and it's only going to get worse.

So if you're pulling a one for one, and fullfillment comes by as they often do to pull something from the back, now instead of you needing to move if they need your aisle, you need to move if they need an adjacent aisle too, and you have to spend time opening the other aisle and then reopening yours? Another brilliant idea courtesy of corporate...
ask them to skip it and grab it from the salesfloor.

Our store can barely pick the OPUs now with the prescribed time now.

Skipping may not be an option.

Then again so many of the OPU picks are buried in grocery pallets and repack boxes anyway so maybe it won't make much difference.

Our store can barely pick the OPUs now with the prescribed time now.

Skipping may not be an option.

Then again so many of the OPU picks are buried in grocery pallets and repack boxes anyway so maybe it won't make much difference.
OP’s has been problematic recently

OP’s has been problematic recently
In our store there is a gap for an hour or two recently whether the only one picking them is the TL.

Sure lots of other TMs can pick them but we don't have the time.

With a suitable amount of high explosives all problems resolved. Also percussive maintenance if you want to be polite. I kid I kid. Seriously I am joking no need to call a three letter agency. 😁
Live ordnance is also effective but leaves a bit of mess.

Bullseye!!!

Also however when they return to bag and stow...depending on the size of the order sometimes I just leave my 1F1 s entirely rather then stand there doing nothing for 5 minutes. Oh and then here comes " beep beep" gs tm needs to grab a drive up order and are literally on a ticking clock!!!

I used to work at Walmart and we had movable aisles in the clothing backroom. We did not have a dial to move them though. They were electric and we pushed buttons to move them.
when I worked at Walmart (in apparel) we had them too, and the buttons were always out of order, so you had to literally get someone to help you manhandle open until you could squeeze in.

Just got these installed in my Washington store, along with a lot of other changes, that suck, while being remodeled. These just seem absolutely inefficient and a huge pain in the ass. I work style, I'm not looking forward to having to integrate movable aisles into my daily work day

I wish these jackasses would think, what do they think is gonna happen during 4th quarter.
Oh man that's gonna be such a mess.
I don't think they test these scenarios at their "test stores" tbh

We have them. 2 thumbs down from literally everyone. They are time consuming, physically exhausting, and a hinderance to efficiency. Can't wait to see how many rotator cuff and wrist injuries result just from using them. The removal of the Cotterman ladders was the most dismaying of all... back to having 2 rickety ladders that aren't tall enough for those of us that aren't tall enough to reach items on the top shelves safely. We've already had people coached for not opening them completely so that they could save time (an example set by leadership, btw)

I just noticed the cranks you use tell you not to apply more than 20 pounds of pressure.

You would think they would be set up like a torque wrench were if you did apply more than that it would just spin and not move.

These will be broken before you know it.

We have them. 2 thumbs down from literally everyone. They are time consuming, physically exhausting, and a hinderance to efficiency. Can't wait to see how many rotator cuff and wrist injuries result just from using them. The removal of the Cotterman ladders was the most dismaying of all... back to having 2 rickety ladders that aren't tall enough for those of us that aren't tall enough to reach items on the top shelves safely. We've already had people coached for not opening them completely so that they could save time (an example set by leadership, btw)
How far open do your aisles open now?

Oh man that's gonna be such a mess.
I don't think they test these scenarios at their "test stores" tbh
These have been around for years so yeah they’ve gone through Q4s

also to everyone else complaining I’m not a huge fan of them either but I’ll take any solution even if it’s not the best one to help with back room space. The whole idea of these is to increase your back room space. They’re well aware they’re less efficient but space is more important than efficiency in the grand scheme. Even the stores that feel like you’re getting less trust me it’s more or at the very least equal. They’re projecting 5 year projections for space when it comes to these Remodel’s this year and next. Yeah they’re not ideal but other than building a new store or blowing a hole in the wall , anyone else have a solution to increase back room space?

My problem isn't how the aisles are, the problem is in fulfillment with our time limits that were barely making and we have this added to our time limit.

These movable walls open farther then when it was just stationary walls.

However they open REALLY slow which will affect the pick times for OPUs.

Also there is the problem of stuff on higher shelves which we require you to drag a ladder and/or in and out of the aisles constantly.

Genius here has 2 Essentials department backstock room sharing with FF/OPU a third of the available space...then drive up gets coached for their time going over a minute and dbo get coached for a messy looking backroom albeit at 99.0% wk BRLA. Mind you the travel aisle space also shared with circuit boards is less then 3 feet by 10 feet.

Read this. They might be done with the movable shelves.

My friend told me that a store didn’t have breaks on them (or ant least one) and ant least 10 aisles fell down.

Last I heard they're no longer putting the movable aisles in stores due to too many issues and injuries. Our store was slated to get them when our remodel started a few months ago and we recently found out we no longer are.

Read this. They might be done with the movable shelves.

My friend told me that a store didn’t have breaks on them (or ant least one) and ant least 10 aisles fell down.

Last I heard they're no longer putting the movable aisles in stores due to too many issues and injuries. Our store was slated to get them when our remodel started a few months ago and we recently found out we no longer are.

Back