Movable Backroom Aisles

I know that this fulfillment remodel is a company-wide thing, but my store was really already too small in the backroom. I literally do not see how this can work long-term because people are already losing their shit over all this and it's only going to get worse.
Idea. Have a wall of seasonal/common fulfillment items that are in stationary aisles so they are easier to move.

Idea. Have a wall of seasonal/common fulfillment items that are in stationary aisles so they are easier to move.
That would make sense.

I did notice the other day that our store doesn't have as many movable walls as they said they we were getting.

I would love to see the average pick rate on items from our store BEFORE the remodel and now.

We have to move step stools and a 12 foot ladder to pull items all the time.

Needless to say more stuff gets thrown down than in the past.

Read this. They might be done with the movable shelves.

My friend told me that a store didn’t have breaks on them (or ant least one) and ant least 10 aisles fell down.

Last I heard they're no longer putting the movable aisles in stores due to too many issues and injuries. Our store was slated to get them when our remodel started a few months ago and we recently found out we no longer are.

Trust me, you don't want these.

I know all remodels around me were canceled for this year. I don't know if it was a company wide decision but it seems they are seeking alternatives for the last opu remodel we were supposed to get.

I know all remodels around me were canceled for this year. I don't know if it was a company wide decision but it seems they are seeking alternatives for the last opu remodel we were supposed to get.
HQ created more holding areas but did absolutely nothing to help the packing area. Ours is paused till after Christmas. They will have an even smaller area.

Our store and our neighbor store are both set to start at the beginning of the year. I haven't seen the plans other than we're supposed to have "Ultra high +++" for our opu remodel. Not exactly sure what all that entails, but thankfully my SD isn't sure one way or the other yet as to whether we're getting the montels.
HQ created more holding areas but did absolutely nothing to help the packing area. Ours is paused till after Christmas. They will have an even smaller area.
My last store was like that. Hundreds of wacos, but one table. we wound up just hanging printers and bags on the wall where we could and bagging in our cart. I mean it worked, but hindsight 20/20 I guess.

Last edited:
We have 2 sections of movable aisles. The first set is 3 aisles of style, shoes stationary and bedding. The second set is small appliances and health and beauty, diapers, 3 aisles of toys, check lanes and bullseye and sporting goods.

They put them into our OPU hold area. OMG! I'm sure the discussion was "How can we add more time to those metrics for OPU and drive up while adding to the frustration of Guest Service and possibly cause more tm injury incidents?"

They do get stuck and can be hard to move, some of them actually have shelves coming undone and occasionally roll back even when the stop button has been pressed.

Death traps. Just stop sending too much merchandise for the square footage of the store.
My store doesn't have these moveable aisles, but wow, it seems like they can be dangerous.
And what a fab idea - just don't send so much merch! Already *looking forward* to when Seasonal is torn down and I have to find back room space for all the protein bars and vitamins and deodorant and body wash that didn't sell from their temporary location.

My store doesn't have these moveable aisles, but wow, it seems like they can be dangerous.
And what a fab idea - just don't send so much merch! Already *looking forward* to when Seasonal is torn down and I have to find back room space for all the protein bars and vitamins and deodorant and body wash that didn't sell from their temporary location.
and that's one thing target has not learned in 10+ years. you do not fill the shelves on the "Compare and Save"[1] set in seasonal/mini because all you are doing is creating more back stock that will have no place to go in the backroom and will just get shoved onto an endocarp and be forgotten about until it goes outdated.

[1]. no idea what hat set is currently called but don't think the name of it is relative to the point being made.

and that's one thing target has not learned in 10+ years. you do not fill the shelves on the "Compare and Save"[1] set in seasonal/mini because all you are doing is creating more back stock that will have no place to go in the backroom and will just get shoved onto an endocarp and be forgotten about until it goes outdated.

[1]. no idea what hat set is currently called but don't think the name of it is relative to the point being made.
We tried this in the past and it doesn't work so well. I've been guilty of ignoring the capacities set by the seasonal TM because I have no space in the back room for it all unless it sells down at least a little bit.
But at least this year I'm trying to learn from how it's gone in the past - some advance prep like keeping some waco boxes empty in anticipation of needing them in a couple of weeks or so, making sure I don't have extra fixtures stashed on those high up shelves, telling relevant TMs in advance that I have a plan for this year so they don't just shove in the back stock wherever they think it fits.
We'll see if any of my plan actually works!

Ours have stripped the lock buttons so much you have to push them as you crank them now. Never mind all the complaints about having to wait for someone trying to locate an INF because they're on a timer & I'm not.

Ours have stripped the lock buttons so much you have to push them as you crank them now. Never mind all the complaints about having to wait for someone trying to locate an INF because they're on a timer & I'm not.
It's just of matter of time before one of these handles gets broken and you can't open the aisles.

We waste a lot of time pulling and back stocking because we have to move ladders all the time.

Naturally we don't have enough ladders.

Funny considering a couple of years ago we were supposed to go ladderless.

My store has these (albeit very short ones because our backroom space is puny) and they are TERRIBLE. In the timeframe my store has been open we have already have two cranks break; both of which were for dry grocery so that was really "fun." I have also been crushed in between two of these aisles by a careless TM so yes, that is unfortunately possible. Ours have brakes inside the aisles that are supposed to stop movement if something pushes them but they do not work at all.

We waste a lot of time pulling and back stocking because we have to move ladders all the time.
Naturally we don't have enough ladders.
Funny considering a couple of years ago we were supposed to go ladderless.
We have one tall rolling ladder but our stationary aisles have the rolling 'library' ladders.

Back