Movable Backroom Aisles

Naturally we don't have enough ladders.
At my store it’s
  • 1 or 2 in tech stockroom (we have two locked aisles) that can be removed if needed
  • 3 in the market backroom that don’t/can’t leave the aisles
  • 2 in the main backroom
  • 1 in GS area
  • 1 in the front backroom

Allocate one person to do total pulls for a work center, have them add pulls to the carts then they call each team member to come get their pulls.

At my store it’s
  • 1 or 2 in tech stockroom (we have two locked aisles) that can be removed if needed
  • 3 in the market backroom that don’t/can’t leave the aisles
  • 2 in the main backroom
  • 1 in GS area
  • 1 in the front backroom
My smaller volume store has TWO ladders in the backroom not counting the one in our fixture room.

That one has to been leaned on it's side to be moved out of the room.

My store has them and they suck.
At stores that have these there should be dedicated TMs for backstocking/pulling and fulfillment from the Montels.
Hopefully they have people in corporate figuring out how to remove them

Safety issue
The chances of team members not verifying no one is in aisle before moving it. A team member is now confined in narrow passage where lights don't work because that was not taken into account with these new structures were installed. The tiniest piece of trash is under the structure preventing the aisle from moving so that the team member can get out of the aisle.
I would say a major safety issue.

Last edited:
The chances of team members not verifying no one is in aisle before moving it. A team member is now confined in narrow passage where lights don't work because that was not taken into account with these new structures were installed. The tiniest piece of trash is under the structure preventing the aisle from moving so that the team member can get out of the aisle.
I would say a major safety issue.
These things sound like a nightmare. How did anyone think they were a good idea?

These things sound like a nightmare. How did anyone think they were a good idea?
I think it is clear to us all at this point that Target as a whole does not think about such things. and to ask questions is not something that is encouraged.

We have a loooooooooot of short women in my store. 3 shelves would never work out
Ladder-less was only a good idea if you keep inventory stocks low.

Of course with the movable walls you know have to ferry ladders in and out of the aisles constantly.

The ladders we have are actually way too tall (12 feet!) anyway but our store is too cheap to by shorter AND more maneuverable ones.

I am guessing this is why the backroom team is coming back so that it would be easier to coordinate around the moveables which pulls are done when. So then there won't be any having to come back twice to backstock or waiting because someone else is in the moveables.

They cant rip 'em out fast enough at my store.
Theyre never getting rid of moveable aisles, they’re just creating standards around the max amount of moveable aisles you can have in a row without a stationary aisle to make a break. They are also working in creating a ladder system that moves with the aisles and eliminates the need for the A frame ladders.

Theyre never getting rid of moveable aisles, they’re just creating standards around the max amount of moveable aisles you can have in a row without a stationary aisle to make a break. They are also working in creating a ladder system that moves with the aisles and eliminates the need for the A frame ladders.
They are also working in creating a ladder system that moves with the aisles and eliminates the need for the A frame ladders.

Where would these ladders go if you have the completely close off two aisles?

Please explain.

They are also working in creating a ladder system that moves with the aisles and eliminates the need for the A frame ladders.

Please explain.
I have no idea. I just know they’re working on a solution due to increase ladder safety incidents last year.

Please explain.
I would imagine they'd be similar to the library ladders where you have a rail across top of each aisle and the ladder hooks into one side permanently and folds flat against the aisle when not in use. The main difference would be that it would not have a permanent cross bar connecting the two aisles, to allow the aisles to close

I would imagine they'd be similar to the library ladders where you have a rail across top of each aisle and the ladder hooks into one side permanently and folds flat against the aisle when not in use. The main difference would be that it would not have a permanent cross bar connecting the two aisles, to allow the aisles to close
So basically Target did this
  • Stationary aisles with attached ladders that move perpendicular to the aisles
  • Movable aisles where you had move and ladder in and out of the aisle constantly but the aisles close
  • A ladder attached to the rails on the top of movable aisle which will now stick out so you can't close the aisles flush.
Also in my store that the style section that has the movable walls nothing is stacked high (so far).

Therefore the TMs don't have to drag a huge ass ladder around but can use a step stool most of the time.

Hilarious!

Just send less merchandise to the store. If the sales floor is empty it should come in in 2 days

Less backstock is the solution to all of our problems
Doesn’t really help with sales. Besides the outliers that target warned us about last year and when they front load seasonal I don’t really feel they send more than necessary when you’re current of freight and your data is accurate. The issue is store back rooms are too small for the the drastic sales growth due to Covid a few years ago and the current solution is movable aisles. It’s not the forever solution likely but it works. The increased freight isn’t going away. Why would a company bot replenish OOS items for 2 days? Seems like a terrible business idea

Doesn’t really help with sales. Besides the outliers that target warned us about last year and when they front load seasonal I don’t really feel they send more than necessary when you’re current of freight and your data is accurate. The issue is store back rooms are too small for the the drastic sales growth due to Covid a few years ago and the current solution is movable aisles. It’s not the forever solution likely but it works. The increased freight isn’t going away. Why would a company bot replenish OOS items for 2 days? Seems like a terrible business idea

well..... except for the Seasonal set, right now......

well..... except for the Seasonal set, right now......
Like I said front loaded seasonal. That will never change tho. Front loading seasonal is a strategy that’s paid off for target and helped them sell through tons of stuff that before was left to salvage or sell for 70/90% off. When was the last time you didn’t sell out of seasonal a week before the holiday?

Back