Not getting hours

Is anyone else only getting 4 hours a week? How do they expect anyone to live off 20 hours a month?

I understand cutting hours after the holidays, but this is ridiculous. Anyone know when hours start picking up again?

Yes, I'm getting that much. That's why I'm looking for a second job.
As for hours I believe they go up around the Spring.

Have you tried asking for more hours? Sometimes if you are ok for working at a different work center , you might get some extra hours .

We have certain people who get 30-40 hrs every week. *These are people who we know can get the job done and then some.
If we extend or add someone, we *are required to set productivity goals. If those goals aren’t met, we get ripped a new one, and are told we don’t know how to do our jobs.

Yes there are certain ones who get the hours but for the most part good folks are getting screwed. New young inexperienced tootsie rolls with a degree in art history come in all bagged up on the recruitment Kool Aid loaded for bear and bust the horns of the older experienced people who have forgotten more than they have ever learned about life, work, relationships and responsibilities. Some of the spineless STL's will just watch and do nothing. Some, not all but some.

There are things you can do.

#1 - Open up your availability as much as possible. Don't put yourself in a position to be late for a shift by opening it up too far.

#2 - Check the swap book/board before your shifts, before your breaks, after your breaks, and at the end of your shift. There are a couple of team members in my store that check the book every time they walk past it.

#3 - Talk to HR and tell them you are interested in being called in if they need to replace a call out. If they know you will answer their call and come in at the last minute, they might put you at the top of the list of people to call.

#4 - Talk to HR about cross training in other areas.

#5 - Brag! There are subtle ways to brag about your accomplishments during each shift without making it obvious. For example, if you are pushing flats of toys and a ETL or TL walks by, you could say something like, "this is my 5th flat of toys today, do you know if there are any more or should I push something else after finishing this flat?"

#6 - Be proactive! Always volunteer to back up cashier. There are plenty of team members who you would have to pull kicking and screaming to be a backup cashier. If the ETLs and TLs see you are going to volunteer and run up every time they call, they will want you on the salesfloor more.

#7 - Push the surveys! Even on the sales floor, push the survey. For example, if you really help a guest and find their product or go to the back to pull their product, mention the survey on the receipt and ask them to fill it out. Telling guests that positive survey comments helps you stay employed and receiving hours to help guests like them will give them a reason to fill it out. Otherwise, the guest will have team members that do not care and do not help.

#8 - Get red cards and sell warranties. Pumping up your red card percentage and warranty attach rate - even as a cashier in the front - will look good when management is reviewing numbers.

Yes, I'm getting that much. That's why I'm looking for a second job.
As for hours I believe they go up around the Spring.
usually around back to school so way after spring unless you work certain high end departments with sales like seasonal or maybe electronics and toys...not sure about softlines but spring used to be the time it picked up now its mid-late summer through seasonal and then you get shit the rest of the year...this company didnt care years ago and it cares even less now about our hours...it's time they choose if they want a revolving door or loyal employees but Im guessing they want he former because of benefits and shit employees who call out and dont do work efficiently...their fault though

5 and 6 are mutually exclusive. If you answer every backup call then you won't get sales floor work done and they won't want you scheduled there due to the incomplete work.

Answering every backup call can allow you do multiple things on the list.

You can say to the Store Director or ETLs or TL something like, "Wow, the store must be really busy because I have come up for backup 5 times so far today." There is a subtle brag while letting them know why your sales floor tasks are not being done quickly.

Or you can ask "Did someone call out because I have come up for backup 5 times so far today?" There is a subtle brag while asking about a call out. If they say yes someone called out, you can then do #3 and say you would be interested in being called if someone calls out and they need a last minute replacement. Two for one. Bragging and asking to be called in.

Also, being a backup cashier allows you opportunities for red cards and warranties.

I think ignoring the calls for a backup is not a good strategy. Especially when they check to see who is on the sales floor and walkies you directly.

Cashiers(Guest Advocate)are getting so few hours that check lanes are almost always understaffed. So maybe putting money in the till or processing payments for merchandise is unimportant. Last person guests interact with is a nobody. I'm sure they leave with a very positive impression of their experience.

There are things you can do.

#6 - Be proactive! Always volunteer to back up cashier. There are plenty of team members who you would have to pull kicking and screaming to be a backup cashier. If the ETLs and TLs see you are going to volunteer and run up every time they call, they will want you on the salesfloor more.

#
Yep, if i hear cashiering screaming about backup needed for the last 2 hours ouf my shift, I'll volunteer working as a cashier until they aren't slammed anymore. Usually gets me a good 3 hours extra... also i always ask if the store needs a extra hand as I've finished my shift. Usually i get told to push a department or zone toys.

Is anyone else only getting 4 hours a week? How do they expect anyone to live off 20 hours a month?

I understand cutting hours after the holidays, but this is ridiculous. Anyone know when hours start picking up again?
Hours at my store usually pick up March into April.

Yes there are certain ones who get the hours but for the most part good folks are getting screwed. New young inexperienced tootsie rolls with a degree in art history come in all bagged up on the recruitment Kool Aid loaded for bear and bust the horns of the older experienced people who have forgotten more than they have ever learned about life, work, relationships and responsibilities. Some of the spineless STL's will just watch and do nothing. Some, not all but some.
As someone who is getting good hours this is not always the case. I've worked for Target for several years and have had to scavenge for hours when pickings are slim. I don't think it's demeaning when it means I have to make myself get out of my comfort zone to keep my average up. This has gotten me recognition and made it to where I do get better hours than my peers. While I do know this isn't the case for everyone, I can say that for certain turning your nose up at extra pay when it's offered is what will keep getting you shit hours.

So... we hired a new tm...he. only had 3 hours of training so far, i litterally beged to stay. On tonight so we didn't leave him alone in my department without cashier training either.... like woah

Back