Archived Old, bitter TMs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our store has an extraordinarily high turnover rate, but we do have some TMs and TLs that have been there for 30+ years. And, annoyingly enough, most of them are completely worthless. There's one backroom TM who no one likes and it's a mystery how she still works there. Everyone complains about her. Not even her TL can stand her. It's very obvious in the backroom report that she doesn't do anything.

Then we have a TL who never does anything, refuses to cover GSTL breaks or go up for back up. The other TLs will do it if asked, but even if she is asked, she'll make up some BS excuse so she doesn't have to. I don't really understand her sense of entitlement or how the ETLs put up with it.

Is this common at other stores?

Sounds like the woman at my current store who's been working for the company a year longer than me. Only breaks out the repacks in HBA, stocks one aisle in HBA, then either stocks cosmetics or stationary. If you give her a pallet to bowl out, she tosses everything to the very front of the aisle. Then she'll make an excuse like her back hurts or she's going to put it in the right places later.
Constantly overstocks stationary, and there's one particular item that I will double check every night and pull off the shelf. She's watched me pull overstock from aisles she's worked on, and she gets incredibly defensive. "Your job is to put stuff on the shelf, not take it off!!!!" Grabs it from me and puts it back.

She has also punched in for her shift, then gone shopping. When I talked to my TL about it, he just went "We can't control that.". Uh....yeah there is! Look at when she punched in. 9:58? Okay, now have security look at that one camera at the check lane I saw her at. She's buying something at 10:05? Write her up!!

I will start off by saying that not all "old timers" are like that. I have been with the company almost 20 years. I bust my butt everyday. I don't think Spot owes me anything because I have been with them for so long . I can and do out work anyone else in my work center. I don't have a sense of entitlement . On the other hand, I have seen some long term tms and tls who just seem to do whatever they please. They come to work but don't "work". A long term employee who isn't doing his/her part should be held accountable. Just as a new tm should . I know the OP didn't say this outright ( AND I am hoping they were not implying it ) not all long term tms are lazy and or don't give acrap about their job. There are some bad ones out there no doubt but I would like to think the good out weighs the bad .

At my store, it's only 6 of us work for 15+ years since store opened. We only one who work our asses off compare to 5+ years employees. It's depend on location to location.

You're paid to do a job. Don't do that job? You shouldn't get paid. That's regardless of length of employment. No company is a charity, so anyone who pulls the lazy shit needs to go

5 years with target and my rasies were nuked with the pay raise. Some brtm from 3 years working make the same as a starting flow Tm.

I'd be old and pissed too
The only reason to work hard for a TM is to get more hours outside of that not much of a reason, not everyone wants more hours so plenty of TMs just work enough not to be a enough of a problem to fire. Raises mean shit unless you're buddy buddy with ETL and HR while also being a great worker because you're not getting any real raise otherwise.

We have this one TM that has been there as long as our store has been open, and she is a piece of work. She will refuse any and all attempts at change to typical methods, even if it's for the good of the team. At one point, she was a trainer but once she ignored my training after the second day onwards, leadership's caught wind of it and stripped her of her trainer title.

The woman has a 9th grade education and acts like she's a LOG-ETL. She is one of the slowest members of all of flow team, and yet acts like the store owes her something. I'd be more sympathetic if she didn't have such a rotten attitude. I'm shocked she hasn't been fired.

I experienced this the most when I worked a union job. You know, older people whom have been there forever despite being terrible employees doing the bare minimum at best. I won't express my opinions on why I think that was the case, union debates get ugly. Lol.

At Target, I see much less of it. Our dead weight team members seem to come both young and old, new and experienced.

It's hard to soar like an eagle when you're surrounded by turkeys...

But....turkeys are on the ground. How can they stop something from soaring in the sky? :0

Clip their wings while they sleep. Or, just clip one wing to make for a comical attempt at flight

Our store has an extraordinarily high turnover rate, but we do have some TMs and TLs that have been there for 30+ years. And, annoyingly enough, most of them are completely worthless. There's one backroom TM who no one likes and it's a mystery how she still works there. Everyone complains about her. Not even her TL can stand her. It's very obvious in the backroom report that she doesn't do anything.

Then we have a TL who never does anything, refuses to cover GSTL breaks or go up for back up. The other TLs will do it if asked, but even if she is asked, she'll make up some BS excuse so she doesn't have to. I don't really understand her sense of entitlement or how the ETLs put up with it.

Is this common at other stores?

this is common at any job imo. I work with a couple of older coworkers and some are lazy and some work hard. I've found that most of the younger TM's I work with are slow and lazy, while the older ones are more disciplined and get stuff done. that's been my observation anyway. My theory is that the younger ones have very little in the way of work experience, so it shows in their work ethic. The older ones have either worked multiple jobs in their lifetime or have worked at Target for many years, so know the job very well and what needs to be done. But, I will say that as soon as the younger TM's have spent at least of a couple of years at the store their productivity picks up.

I've found that sometimes the older TMs have their own techniques to do things (quality over speed, so they tend to work early morning, mid shifts) whereas newer TMs do things with a focus on speed over quality. There are some advantages and disadvantages, but older TMs get to deal with things that require details more whilst newer TMs get to have more closing/zoning shifts due to speed. I have to say that there's honestly very few, if any, bitter older TMs at my store. I can name one TM right now and then it's difficult to think of more that are older and bitter.

Not at my store. Everyone is a team, because of the new stl wants that way. It drives more sales for the team & more payroll. Morale is up because of the stl.

Lucky, we have been given an STL "who was awesome" when they started, "was a big fan of change and innovation, etc."

Then they started to micromanage (In a store that was damn near the "Gem" of our district) to the point where my PPTL tells me "I have no idea what we are setting tomorrow because "said STL" hasn't e-mailed me yet". Keep in mind, my Plano team has worked a week ahead since I started as a Signing Spec, about 6 months ago, which makes my life a living hell already...

on top of that , I have ETLs/TLs openly discuss their angst about him around me, (not to mention the TM-talk when BTS rolled around, I can't wait for the results). I like knowing that they trust me enough to talk like that around me (and I wholeheartedly agree with them, and would LOVE to give them my two cents). Funny thing about my store is that it is EXTREMELY tight nit. Our last STL was our ETL-LOG before hand, and I have ETLs who were once my TL, (Which I think is extremely rare for Target, but I think is nothing but great.

Our long term team members and team leads all earn their tenure on the daily. Some aren't happy with changes that have happened in the 20+ years they have been with the company, but even they are model examples of FFF, "one team", and any other team driving program that has come along in the past. We are lucky for that.

There was this one guy who had been there for 10 years. He was in his 50's and the moment he found out I was going to be a TL he flipped his shit! Said I was too young and I didn't deserve it. He didn't do shit and it took him his entire shift to zone 2 aisles no lie! Needless to say he quit after I tried to help him speed up a bit. He hated me because i called him out on his laziness.

Last edited:
We had a TM who'd been there 17 years, he had an entitlement mentality I noticed and was soo slow. When we got a new ETL-log. She really disliked him because he'd take so much time but complain he's not getting the hours he deserves because he's been with the company so long etc, then one day a golden opportunity opened up. TL caught him opening up a bag of hostess donuts while stocking G block. That was all the leverage she needed to get him outta there. Can't say I felt bad for him either. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back