Archived Our store is expecting all sales floor tms to know exact sales numbers in their department each day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
During huddles the LODs are telling us we need to know the exact number of sales we did in our area each day. Then they say that they will randomly quiz us on it during the day (they don't) and if corporate comes in at any time they will check to see if we know this (they haven't).

My question is: what's the point? What's the expectation here? We're told it's to tell the guests to get them excited and lead to more sales but nobody is doing it. They even gave us a cringey example conversion that went something like this, "Oh hey we did x number of dollars in sales in apparel and accessories yesterday! Our top seller was Hunter! Let me show you our Hunter stuff!"

Like, if I went to Best Buy and an employee there started telling me useless sales numbers to me as a customer, I would definitely walk out and leave. Anybody else dealing with this insanity?

I could understand being told to just know the numbers for our own sake. But being told to tell guests these things in hopes that it gets them excited (what was literally told to us) and makes them buy more is crazy. Whoever came up with this has apparently never shopped in a store before.

At my store the big thing with the team knowing sales numbers is they can use that information to help bring up the bottom departments. For me in hardlines, whichever area was lowest (bedding, stationary, kitchen, storage) needs to be zoned better and filled correctly that week. Usually, this does result in an improvement the following week.

Having said that, I would rather just tell the team what to focus on (those areas) rather than have them spending their time getting that information then finding me to ask me if what they want to do is correct.

I could see the reason for TMs knowing how it's fluctuating and such, but... I don't see a reason a guest would want to know. And I certainly don't picture a scenario where a guest knowing our sales would make them want to buy more.

I would think any sales numbers/information would be confidential and proprietary. Telling your TMs yesterday's numbers at a huddle is one thing, but giving it out to the general public doesn't seem to me to be a smart strategy on a number of levels. (Unless it is part of a company release for quarterly and yearly reports.)

During huddles the LODs are telling us we need to know the exact number of sales we did in our area each day. Then they say that they will randomly quiz us on it during the day (they don't) and if corporate comes in at any time they will check to see if we know this (they haven't).

My question is: what's the point? What's the expectation here? We're told it's to tell the guests to get them excited and lead to more sales but nobody is doing it. They even gave us a cringey example conversion that went something like this, "Oh hey we did x number of dollars in sales in apparel and accessories yesterday! Our top seller was Hunter! Let me show you our Hunter stuff!"

Like, if I went to Best Buy and an employee there started telling me useless sales numbers to me as a customer, I would definitely walk out and leave. Anybody else dealing with this insanity?

THAT is proprietary information. We have very strict policies about sharing this information.

if I'm understanding you correctly, it sounds like they're just saying what they were told to say but don't actually care. I can picture my ETL-LOG/LOD doing this. He likes to run a tight ship his own way, and if there's one thing he hates it's sitting in meetings and having orders barked at him. I can totally see him in a meeting with the DTL nodding along while rolling his eyes, ":rolleyes: uh huh...yeah...yay, sales *enormous yawn* :rolleyes: sure thing dude, I'll pass that along...asshole :rolleyes:"

We’ve just rolled this out too and I think either OP’s leadership is really misinterpreting things or the OP themselves are misinterpreting things (I’ll assume the former).

Sales goals for the week are emailed to the STL and she/he then distributes them to the Team Leads, who in turn communicate that to Team Members.

We would NOT communicate this to guests though. We could, possibly, use sales data vaguely to help drive conversations though: “Hey there what brings you in to Target today? Hey have you seen the new Hunter line? It’s been immensely popular; you can find it two aisles over. Let me know if there’s anything else I can help you with”.

Spewing out sales numbers to guests sounds...weird to say the least. And as someone mentioned that would proprietary information too and the guest would be the last person who should know those numbers.

The Distribution Center is leaning that way. They call it "owning our own success". We've been told that we will know how to make spaghetti charts and how to talk through Pareto Charts. The Senior Manager will train our Managers and our Managers will train us.

That's great! Wonderful! I only have two questions. What does the Manager do when we do everything they do and why can't we cut them out and take their pay if we're expected to know and do everything they know and do? That's all. Just, that.

Other than that it's a great and wonderful and wonderfully great idea!

That no one has time for come Fall Season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back