Archived Red Money Checker Things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are the red Accubanker money checkers being rolled out nationwide? My store has them at each register except express and we have to run every 100, 50, and 20 through it, I've seen guests see them in operation and just walk out leaving their cart of stuff.

we have had the counterfeit checking machines for awhile..they become quicker then the pens once you get used to them. When we first got them, we had guests walk out also..I think they new they were using fake money.. Now every once in awhile we get fake bills.. Don't let guests know you are only checking 20's and above.. We had a group start making smaller bills.

We have also had a few start smoking..When it happens, unplug it!

Strong possibility that AP is keeping pictures. I like the devices, I think they take a lot of the guesswork out of checking (Is that dark yellow or brown?) and are faster than the pens, plus it gives a visual deterrent. We have the devices right in front of the guests, but cannot tell them we only check 20+ (I think if they really cared they could just watch and see how we run them). I wish they had a collection bin they spit the bills into so you could feed bill after bill nonstop and could just take them out of the bin when everything's done, and you wouldn't have to worry about finding a place to put all the bills since our policy is when checking all the bills have to be laid out on the belt in view of the guest, and some cashiers (I did this once but caught it in time) will not turn off the belt and the money will get sucked up.

Seems like a good idea. Pens can be fooled too easily, but that is what I've been told to do. Oh well, it's not my money and I wouldn't see a raise if we took less counterfeit bills.

We don't use anything and are told to not check for any security features. We have had a counterfeit ring busted near us that came to our store.

If we strongly suspect it's fake we can call someone over or bring it to ap after.

We don't use anything and are told to not check for any security features. We have had a counterfeit ring busted near us that came to our store.

If we strongly suspect it's fake we can call someone over or bring it to ap after.
I think that is like our store too. We got counterfeit bills one day and that was the first I'd heard about what to do. The gstl told me we couldn't do anything, we had to take them.

Strong possibility that AP is keeping pictures. I like the devices, I think they take a lot of the guesswork out of checking (Is that dark yellow or brown?) and are faster than the pens, plus it gives a visual deterrent. We have the devices right in front of the guests, but cannot tell them we only check 20+ (I think if they really cared they could just watch and see how we run them). I wish they had a collection bin they spit the bills into so you could feed bill after bill nonstop and could just take them out of the bin when everything's done, and you wouldn't have to worry about finding a place to put all the bills since our policy is when checking all the bills have to be laid out on the belt in view of the guest, and some cashiers (I did this once but caught it in time) will not turn off the belt and the money will get sucked up.
I don't put the money down - the stack of bills stays in my hands. the unchecked ones go between index and middle finger, checked ones go between middle finger and ring finger - it's awkward at first but now it is the only process I use and it's fast.
I have also turned away obviously fake bills. If you handle money for a long time, you can pretty much feel the difference. If the bill fails in the machine, I hold it up to the light to see if I see the written strip inside. If they are older and don't have the strip I will use the pen.
Had a man not to long ago try to give me obviously fake 10's, a whole stack of them . I looked at them and asked for a different form of payment. I said - you should go back to whoever gave you these, because they are not real. They were all photocopies and all had the same serial numbers..They weren't' even cut evenly.

I don't put the money down - the stack of bills stays in my hands. the unchecked ones go between index and middle finger, checked ones go between middle finger and ring finger - it's awkward at first but now it is the only process I use and it's fast.
I have also turned away obviously fake bills. If you handle money for a long time, you can pretty much feel the difference. If the bill fails in the machine, I hold it up to the light to see if I see the written strip inside. If they are older and don't have the strip I will use the pen.
Had a man not to long ago try to give me obviously fake 10's, a whole stack of them . I looked at them and asked for a different form of payment. I said - you should go back to whoever gave you these, because they are not real. They were all photocopies and all had the same serial numbers..They weren't' even cut evenly.
I should ask AP if I can do that, holding on to the bills the whole time. Seems like a better practice and would satisfy the "guest must see the bills until the drawer closes" attitude.

We don't check, at all. I have no idea how to check and even if I taught myself I'm 75% sure I'd get coached for not vibing hard enough or some bull.

@NitroKing2110 I learned from an old job - you don't let go of that money until it's in the drawer. I also always say how much the person is giving me before I put it in the drawer. So if it's 115.25 I will say 115.25 out of 120.00 and I will tell them how much change I am handing them always with the receipt in their hand - not in a bag unless they ask me to put it in the bag.

Ive seen a few fake 100's , someone bought xbox live cards with them, easily tracked, and all fake currency goes to the secret service, and investigated further.

So what happens if the guests gives you money that is fake? I have had a 20 bill before and didn't know it was fake and tried to use it , I was simply told it was counterfeit and couldn't use it ...still embarrassed the hell out of me...even though I know it wasn't the merchants fault...but I simply didn't know that it wasn't a legit 20

So what happens if the guests gives you money that is fake? I have had a 20 bill before and didn't know it was fake and tried to use it , I was simply told it was counterfeit and couldn't use it ...still embarrassed the hell out of me...even though I know it wasn't the merchants fault...but I simply didn't know that it wasn't a legit 20
Well in your case you are supposed to contact the secret service (they also handle the treasury involving fakes) they usually reimburse you for the mondy, usually takes a bit, but youd run the risk of possibly not being investigated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back