Archived Rudeness at Food Ave

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was waiting in line at FA the other day on my lunch and some lady walks right in front of me. The FATM says "I think she was next" and points to me. The guest looks at me and says "shouldn't she be working?" The FATM was kinda' dumbfounded so I said "No, actually, I shouldn't. I'm on my LUNCH BREAK so if you'd let me order my lunch, I'll get out of your way." It was a crappy day in pharmacy and I had had enough attitude for one day and just wasn't in the mood to deal with any more. She just looked at me so I ordered my lunch, paid, and said "I'll be back in a few minutes to get that" then turned to the lady and said "Have a nice afternoon!"

When we went Pfresh last year they replaced our Food Ave with Starbucks. I decided NOT to apply at Starbucks, after working FA for 4+ years I'd had enough of food service. I still get my old FA guests tell me they miss the popcorn and hotdogs, but I'm glad I didn't go to Starbucks. There are rude guests no matter what part of Target you work in, but I do believe that the ones I used to get at FA were some of the rudest. Thank God the good ones far out numbered the bad or I wouldn't have lasted as long as I did.

We have secret clearance to give out or eat food that was returned or torn (pretzels). Lol I've had one free pretzel, two free cookies and I have high hopes for a free popcorn. Lolll

WOW that would have been great. There were many pretzels that I had to throw out because they were torn. The amount of good food that I had to throw out on a daily basis was ridiculous. Especially the mountain of popcorn just dumped every night. Never could understand why we couldn't put it in the breakroom for the tms. Bagged popcorn is good even the next day, but we had to throw it, sometimes as many as 12 bags! We don't have a FA anymore just Starbucks and I don't work over there so I have no idea what they do with stuff, probably still throwing out good food.

When I worked ERT, after closing they'd put the leftovers out on one of the tables in Food Ave and it was a free first come, first serve, grab it and growl basis.... It is a shame to waste so much.

It is a shame to waste so much.
....considering some TMs in my store don't look like they've had much to eat at home, yeh.

I had considered speaking up about how much food we waste back there, but I don't really think they'd do anything. And I don't really know what I could suggest to make a change for the better, but it's a part of the job I dislike very much since I am a green-friendly person in every other aspect of life. Tossing out hundreds of pizzas and other food gets to me after a while.

Food Ave is not the only food service business that wastes food.

Target has a very strict franchise agreement with Pizza Hut for food prep and safety. Food Aves have to follow Pizza Huts production and safety check list in order to keep the pizzas. I have heard Pizza Hut pulling out of stores for not following their guidelines.

If your FA is prepping something that isn't selling as much. You might want to consider cutting the prep back.

Sorry if I'm bumping a thread that is too old, but I just had to being a Food Aver and dealing with rude people:

"What do you mean it will take 20 minutes to make fresh cookies? What are you stupid? You can do it faster than that!" FATL: "Ma'am, we make them the same way you do at home, baked fresh in the oven". "Naw, ya'lls just stupid. I aint no idiot waiting twenty minutes to get a ****ing cookie!"

Guest orders hot dog. Guest is informed before transaction of what condiments are available, on the side. Guest says ok and buys the combo. After purchase guest asks "Wheres the chili?" FATL informs them that they don't have chili, or slaw or onions. The now irate guest screams "I'm not eating this ****!" and throws the hot dog at the TM before storming off.

"Is that popcorn fresh, from today?" I was dying to hear the FATL say "No, its the same old **** from last night. We like to serve old, unsafe food. And that popping sound you hear, and the aroma of popcorn you could smell as you walked in clearly indicated that the popcorn is from last night and not today"

Yes, yes, and yes.

Nightly I would have guests walk in after closing demanding the left over popcorn. They were the worst. I told them I cannot sell or give away any popcorn after closing. I had one guest that wouldn't take no for an answer. He walked over and got the GSTL. He talked her into getting him a bag. But by that time, I was already throwing out the popcorn and cleaning out the kettle with Boil Out. The GSTL changed her mind saying since I was already cleaning it, she could not give him any. Boy was he mad.

I hate those people. I had a woman call me a "stupid piece of ****" one night because I wouldn't give her "4 poor, starving children in the van some free popcorn".

Guest wants to pay for a LARGE icee but wants 2 SMALL cups (uh, no. Decide which one you love more & let them carry it)

Pretty much happens daily to me; I don't mind doing it with a bag of popcorn, but come on, I gotta draw the line some where.

Also I had a guest come up to me and asked for popcorn with no butter or salt and 4 hotdogs, 2 nachos, a order of fries, and a order of chicken tenders WHILE i have about 5 guests in line as I'm covering a lunch for food ave

I got a big "**** YOU!" from (what appeared to be) a sweet little old lady because I couldn't make a bag of popcorn without oil and salt for her; not to mention that it was an hour until I closed.

The other maddening thing is when Mom comes up with 3 kids & is asking them what they want while a large line waits for Suzy to decide between the carrots & ranch or the apples & caramel, Bobby wants a BIGGER icee than the meal offers & Joey wants something that's not even on the menu.
Craziness.

Happened at least 5 times this week!!!

How about the guests who get Icee EVERYWHERE. LOVING EVERYWHERE. I literally turn my back for 5 minutes to help a guest, and it's like an explosion at the condiment/soda bar. UGH and then they drip it everywhere! I HATE the Icee machines.

It happens to me a lot. I tell the guests not to fill it up all the way, then they do it anyways, overflow it all over the counter, drip it all over the floor, get it on the table, get it all over little Tommy's white shirt, and then get mad at me like I'm the idiot that did it.

Hey veteran food ave TM's I heard back in the day Target Cafes had a grill and actually cooked burgers is this true?

Yes. I loved me some cheeseburgers and chicken quesadillas! The last time I remember eating at one was when I was 15 (I'm a month away from 22 now).

Also, not a "rude" story, but when I was leaving from a Food Ave shift one day, there was a dimebag of weed just laying on the ground in front of the register.

Didn't know what to do with it, just tossed it.

I should've just saved it for all those guests who just don't know how to chill out.

:)

Also, not a "rude" story, but when I was leaving from a Food Ave shift one day, there was a dimebag of weed just laying on the ground in front of the register.

I should've just saved it for all those guests who just don't know how to chill out.

Haha sounds like you hit the jackpot ;)

Fun times in Food Ave tonight!

Guy in his early 30s comes in with a little girl (2-3 years old tops).

Orders 2 large ICEEs and a small ICEE. No big deal.

Hand him the cups, he goes over to the ICEE machines, I head over to Starbucks to help out plating their pastries; I don't have to, I'm just cool like that.

I am gone for at THE MOST 2 (TWO) minutes.

I come back, just as he is leaving.

There is red and blue ICEE smeared ALL over the counter.

I don't have a tiny counter, it's one like this:
http://www.goldenvalleysupply.com/imgs/specialty/47.jpg

(Minus the Pizza Hut)

Seriously, from the ICEE machines, to the drink machines, to the garbage can, BACK up to the register, all in the chip racks under the registers, and a HUGE puddle in the floor. He took about 40 napkins and wiped up a tiny spot of it, then promptly stuffed them under the ICEE machines and behind the straw dispensers.

This guy is just walking out of Food Ave with a big grin on his dumb face.

10 minutes later after cleaning everything up (and only 10 minutes until closing time, YES!), guess who shows back up? Guy Smiley.

He then goes and sits down with his girl, so since he's just sitting, I go finishing washing up my dishes in the sink.

I come back to put the stuff back, and he has crumpled one of the large cups and just tossed it into the stacked drink lids that I had out next to the soda fountain. He just stood there staring at me until I walked out from behind the counter and picked up his cup and threw it away for him. Then he proceeded to take his girl and get in one of the electric scooters and drove it out into the parking lot (clearly he needed it since he was walking around just fine??)

Needless to say, that guy wasn't my favorite guest of the day.

:angry::angry2::facepalm::dash2::angry::angry2::facepalm::dash2:
I used to have faith in humanity, but then I started wearing red and khaki and came to my senses.
:angry::angry2::facepalm::dash2::angry::angry2::facepalm::dash2:

Last edited:
IMG_5759.jpg

I hate those people. I had a woman call me a "stupid piece of ****" one night because I wouldn't give her "4 poor, starving children in the van some free popcorn".

I really hated the people that come over and say they want 6 popcorn samples for their kids. I have been known to just tell the guest that we only offer a max of 2 popcorn samples. If you would like, you can purchase a small popcorn for all of them to share.

call AP or the LOD. They have procedures to deal with that stuff.

This. CYA.

I didn't know that then. I had been working for only about 2 months when it happened.

Thank you!

15 years ago, my procedure would've involved smoking it.

15 years ago, my procedure would've involved smoking it.

If your store is in Washington, Oregon, or Alaska, you could have done just that.

Guest: "Gimmie some nachos."
Me: "We don't have any nachos, ma'am."
Guest: "Yeah, well, the other Target around here does."
Me: "I've been to the other Target, they don't carry them either."
Guest: "Well, they had them a few weeks ago."
*I give up*
Me: "Well, I'm sorry ma'am, we don't have any nachos. They have been discontinued for our store."

Like her arguing with me about the nachos would make me magically have nachos for her???

Or I have a secret nacho cheese dispenser in the back that I'm not advertising?

I hate people that do that kind of crap.

What's really funny, is when they ask for a pretzels (and your out) and they insist on getting the plastic rubber one in the display case.

Ugh, that's not funny! :p

I had a guest that wasn't happy until I actually took one of the rubber pretzels out of the case and bounced it on the counter to prove that they weren't real pretzels. People that were behind her in line were pissed...

I discovered they were rubber one day, during my lunch break, when something really, really similar to your story occurred. I thought it was kinda funny :) Her Face Expression, Priceless

Someone that worked in my Food Ave before I started working there broke one of the salted pretzels because they used it as a ninja throwing star and it broke in half, lol.

We ran out of Coca-Cola ICEE today, so I put a sign up on the machine saying "Out of Order". Now, as I came to understand it, when something says, "Out of Order", that means it's broken and/or there is something wrong with it.

Apparently I'm wrong.

I had 5 guests (2 of whom were just total @$$holes about it) come up, look at the sign, and then tell me they wanted Coke ICEEs. Really? Don't be dumb people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back