Archived Scanning IDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will the register promt if the birthdate entered when keying it in is too young? I.e. accidently entering 11/07/1991 instead of 07/11/1991...????

Of course. What would be the point of it even asking for a DoB if it wasn't checking to see if the DoB was long enough ago?

Had a cashier put in the wrong date, making the guest too young. It wouldn't let us correct it so we had to void the trans & do it again. Guest was P.O.d to begin with so it didn't end very well.

If I can't scan ID, I don't even type in the birthdate, I just wait for the GSTL to do it since they have to override it anyways.

I wish cashiers had the power to just enter the birthdate and carry on with the transaction.
Atleast give it to cashiers who have been with spot for a year. So many times when I used to cashier or do backup, I have to ask for an ID and the guest throws a fit(Usually the older people with grey hair)

It annoys me when a cashier has to sit there and flash their lane light and yell for me because they need me to override a DOB. I hate telling them to enter the date, and then it'll alert me on the LPDA to come and do the override.

Argh, I can't read your minds!

When our registers prompt for ID we are no longer able to scan the ID. We have to put in the birthdate. Someone said something about a new law in our state.

Last edited:
I wish cashiers had the power to just enter the birthdate and carry on with the transaction.
Atleast give it to cashiers who have been with spot for a year. So many times when I used to cashier or do backup, I have to ask for an ID and the guest throws a fit(Usually the older people with grey hair)

That's how it used to work. I hired in about 4 years ago, and then you could just key the DOB and go on with it w/o supervisor numbers. They switched before I'd been there too long, and it was a bit of an ordeal.

I had the same exact thing happened to me. "may I see your ID?" He says, "WHY??" I'm a little dumbfounded because it is Nicorette. I stammer my way through something like "well it must be because it has nicotine in it." And I got a spiel on how he doesn't want Target to get his information. So I call over a team leader to override the script. During that time, he gives me a lecture about government regulation. Really angry too. When my awesome supervisor comes, he starts his lecture again. The best part was that he kept saying how these policies were "wasting everyone's time." Oh really? Kind of like your long diatride. He didn't seem to make that connection.

His 8 (or so) year old kid was awesome though. I work in electronics and he comes up to me "Hey mister! There's this awesome video game I want to get! It's [blah blah] HAVE YOU EVER PLAYED IT!!!??" Kids like that get me excited. I'm always thinking "**** yeah You can get that video game!" Obviously I don't say that. Sadly as they were leaving, I was wondering how many years it would take for is dad's crappy attitude to crush his enthusiasm.

Last edited:
I had the same exact thing happened to me. "may I see your ID?" He says, "WHY??" I'm a little dumbfounded because it is Nicorette. I stammer my way through something like "well it must be because it has nicotine in it." And I got a spiel on how he doesn't want Target to get his information. So I call over a team leader to override the script. During that time, he gives me a lecture about government regulation. Really angry too. When my awesome supervisor comes, he starts his lecture again. The best part was that he kept saying how these policies were "wasting everyone's time." Oh really? Kind of like your long diatride. He didn't seem to make that connection.

His 8 (or so) year old kid was awesome though. I work in electronics and he comes up to me "Hey mister! There's this awesome video game I want to get! It's [blah blah] HAVE YOU EVER PLAYED IT!!!??" Kids like that get me excited. I'm always thinking "**** yeah You can get that video game!" Obviously I don't say that. Sadly as they were leaving, I was wondering how many years it would take for is dad's crappy attitude to crush his enthusiasm.

I find it ironic that people act like that, YET, they probably have a facebook with all their personal information.

I find it ironic that people act like that, YET, they probably have a facebook with all their personal information.

And they probably have memberships on 20 different websites that have their SSN and credit card info...

Seriously, unless you're buying Sudafed, the only reason we have to scan your ID is so the system knows you're old enough. When we scan state-issued IDs, it allows Target to verify that the purchase was legitimately legal because the guest was using their real ID and not a fake.

If the guest really doesn't want to let you scan their ID, they always have the option of waiting 10 min for the GSTL to come over and override it.

Yea its funny, my first encounter my guest got pretty nervous and he/she immediately said "I dont have any ID"

But if you TM's don't realize why people don't want to give out their personal information,http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/19/magazine/shopping-habits.html?pagewanted=all

"For decades, Target has collected vast amounts of data on every person who regularly walks into one of its stores. Whenever possible, Target assigns each shopper a unique code — known internally as the Guest ID number — that keeps tabs on everything they buy. “If you use a credit card or a coupon, or fill out a survey, or mail in a refund, or call the customer help line, or open an e-mail we’ve sent you or visit our Web site, we’ll record it and link it to your Guest ID,” Pole said. “We want to know everything we can.”

"Target can buy data about your ethnicity, job history, the magazines you read, if you’ve ever declared bankruptcy or got divorced, the year you bought (or lost) your house, where you went to college, what kinds of topics you talk about online, whether you prefer certain brands of coffee, paper towels, cereal or applesauce, your political leanings, reading habits, charitable giving and the number of cars you own."

That's obvious by the coupons that come out as soon as someone swipes their card for things COMPLETELY unrelated to their purchase. I enjoy this week's Starbucks coupon to loyal Redcard users who aren't even using their Redcard for that purchase.

Also, this happened to me twice tonight: why am I IDing people for Drano?

That's obvious by the coupons that come out as soon as someone swipes their card for things COMPLETELY unrelated to their purchase. I enjoy this week's Starbucks coupon to loyal Redcard users who aren't even using their Redcard for that purchase.

Also, this happened to me twice tonight: why am I IDing people for Drano?

Drano? I can't imagine why someone would need ID for drain opener. I would guess either it's a system glitch (like the occasional beer that doesn't prompt for ID) or else people have begun to find ways to use drain opener as a drug (which I'm pretty sure would kill them before they would ever come close to a high).

They were two different types of Drano. I'll have to search around.

Edited: apparently it's a state law here and my GSA was completely in the wrong by overriding one today because there's a registry of information the store is to collect. Who knew.

Last edited:
It's a state law here. Apparently there's a registry for corrosive substances, lye, etc that has to be filled out like the Sudafed registries. My GSA overrid one tonight, which looks like would be against the law since they are supposed to collect the guest's information for the registry.

Drano? I can't imagine why someone would need ID for drain opener. I would guess either it's a system glitch (like the occasional beer that doesn't prompt for ID) or else people have begun to find ways to use drain opener as a drug (which I'm pretty sure would kill them before they would ever come close to a high).

You would be surprised what people will do with things. Huff Raid or Drink bottles of Windex in your store......

I think the Windex guy was actually drinking Gatorade, but I'm not sure. We never saw him again because we trespassed him.

i honestly cant care less when they dont want us to scan their id. I just call gstl to override. What bothers me the most is their ton of voice. Some are just plain cocky some talks like we are some kind of criminal stealing info and say "id scan is data-mining."
Im just a cashier... All i do is ringing and bagging stuff.tell that to hq or stl..

Yes...it's the attitude that always comes with it that I cannot stand. And like I said, if they are going to have such a strict policy, then I'm very glad they are going to stand by it when the going gets tough.

They piss & moan about "guarding their identity" yet freely give out all kinds of info online for free apps/mug/t-shirt.
I was sitting in a dr's office listening to a lady making a catalog order over the phone & she was giving out name, addy, phone, CC# - the works. I jotted down everything I heard on a slip of paper, handing it to her as I went back for my appt. At the bottom I wrote: If I could copy this, so could ANYONE!

It usually makes the older people's day when they're buying alcohol and I ask to scan it. Most people are cooperative, but sometimes become defiant. One last week thought it was some huge conspiracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back