MEGATHREAD Signing Tips, Tricks and Quips (along with howls of despair)

Can anyone give a list of what your roles and responsiblities are as a signing team member? I feel like my signing tm achieves so little. He only does price change 5 days a week. Most batches are no more then 500 most around 350 (I'm in a small format). He rarely finishes and usually ends up activating in some corner of the store at the end of his shift so he comes up zero. My self and another tl have been touching base trying to figure out why he doesn't get much done and come down to sense or urgency and productivity. I feel he should be able to help with ism and shippers like i I read here? I want to sit down with him and be able to say these are other places/things in the store you should be able to assist with in your week. But I'm unsure if pc is all there is and you guys are above and beyond your core roles or if he needs to step it up in more ways then one?

Just to add, he is responsible for all hardines pc. On Mondays and Tuesdays one my sltm helps him for sl. Then Wed through Friday he does sl alone.

Can anyone give a list of what your roles and responsiblities are as a signing team member? I feel like my signing tm achieves so little. He only does price change 5 days a week. Most batches are no more then 500 most around 350 (I'm in a small format). He rarely finishes and usually ends up activating in some corner of the store at the end of his shift so he comes up zero. My self and another tl have been touching base trying to figure out why he doesn't get much done and come down to sense or urgency and productivity. I feel he should be able to help with ism and shippers like i I read here? I want to sit down with him and be able to say these are other places/things in the store you should be able to assist with in your week. But I'm unsure if pc is all there is and you guys are above and beyond your core roles or if he needs to step it up in more ways then one?

Just to add, he is responsible for all hardines pc. On Mondays and Tuesdays one my sltm helps him for sl. Then Wed through Friday he does sl alone.
Only 5 days a week you say? I can't see the problem here. I would imagine small format Signing TM is much, much different than most of us here on this forum. I have no idea how it operates in small format, to put it in perspective, for the last 2 months it is not uncommon to see our PC at 3000+. Price Change is certainly not my core role, however (even though no one helps me with signing). I still see myself setting pogs,(equally to my signing time these days). Throwing truck rarely,(I secretly enjoy it), and helping with PC.

Last edited:

Like @BigEyedPhish said, for most of us, PC is not in the signing team member's core role. Perhaps that is different for a small format store. A signing TM spends most of their time placing ism, sorting the weekly signing pallet, and depending on the time of year- building shippers and/or hanging overhead signs. ASANTS, but setting pogs too. Only on rare occasions do I help with PC.

With PC numbers so small, he should be able to get thru all of it in an 8 hour shift, maybe even with time left over depending on what is getting marked down (a really good PC person can get thru roughly 100 DPCIs in an hour). It sounds to me like his first responsibility is PC and not signing, which seems backwards if his title is signing TM. ASANTS on that too I suppose.

Did you finish your essentials bin? I'm just starting mine now

Never got around to it as we had a bike wall crisis my TL needed help with. As in, the bike wall was empty and we needed bikes built to fill it. So a few us taught ourselves and got it done.

So the bin will be done next week. Plus side, I can then just build it directly on the salefloor.

Only 5 days a week you say? I can't see the problem here. I would imagine small format Signing TM is much, much different than most of us here on this forum. I have no idea how it operates in small format, to put it in perspective, for the last 2 months it is not uncommon to see our PC at 3000+. Price Change is certainly not my core role, however (even though no one helps me with signing). I still see myself setting pogs,(equally to my signing time these days). Throwing truck rarely,(I secretly enjoy it), and helping with PC.

I feel like that's a ton! You guys in larger formats really do alot! And its interesting that signing is more seperate to pc and more involved with pog!

Like @BigEyedPhish said, for most of us, PC is not in the signing team member's core role. Perhaps that is different for a small format store. A signing TM spends most of their time placing ism, sorting the weekly signing pallet, and depending on the time of year- building shippers and/or hanging overhead signs. ASANTS, but setting pogs too. Only on rare occasions do I help with PC.

With PC numbers so small, he should be able to get thru all of it in an 8 hour shift, maybe even with time left over depending on what is getting marked down (a really good PC person can get thru roughly 100 DPCIs in an hour). It sounds to me like his first responsibility is PC and not signing, which seems backwards if his title is signing TM. ASANTS on that too I suppose.

He is listed as a signing tm which I agree is odd because his priority 1 is pc then in theory he would move on to signing. Maybe because we are small format its one role? Idk, but something for sure for me to bring up.

Our signing pallets sit longer then they should. I do my own for SL and my fellow srTL does the rest of the store when he has time. Not to say we don't want to help out! But I feel if our signing tm finished pc faster he could then be able to jump in and help with much more.

With the numbers you gave in theory he should be able to finish most if not all of pc before lunch then jump into signing. I'm defiently going to present that to my peer!

Thanks for the feedback both of you!

I feel like that's a ton! You guys in larger formats really do alot! And its interesting that signing is more seperate to pc and more involved with pog!

He is listed as a signing tm which I agree is odd because his priority 1 is pc then in theory he would move on to signing. Maybe because we are small format its one role? Idk, but something for sure for me to bring up.

Our signing pallets sit longer then they should. I do my own for SL and my fellow srTL does the rest of the store when he has time. Not to say we don't want to help out! But I feel if our signing tm finished pc faster he could then be able to jump in and help with much more.

With the numbers you gave in theory he should be able to finish most if not all of pc before lunch then jump into signing. I'm defiently going to present that to my peer!

Thanks for the feedback both of you!
Let me send an inquiry to a store we helped ay, stl is a friend. She might have some insight for you.

I equally help pog and pricing. I'm pressured to use signing shifts if either team is behind to help catch them up. Nobody is a finger to do their own signing though.

Can anyone give a list of what your roles and responsiblities are as a signing team member? I feel like my signing tm achieves so little. He only does price change 5 days a week. Most batches are no more then 500 most around 350 (I'm in a small format).

When you say a batch is 350 - do you mean 350 DPCIS or units? How is the zone? Our store does a shitty job zoning clearance, so that definitely affects the speed with which price change is completed.

Has anyone found that they were missing an essentials bin?!? I'm missing the left section. I MySuppoerted it and ETL escalated it. Sucks that I didn't know it was missing until I started building.

Has anyone found that they were missing an essentials bin?!? I'm missing the left section. I MySuppoerted it and ETL escalated it. Sucks that I didn't know it was missing until I started building.

That sucks. I mean how would you know it's missing until you started building

I had all mine.

My only missing piece was one of those filler pieces.

Does anyone have the instruction sheet for the new headers that came direct to store. They have under with blank space for price points

Two different docs mentioned it had 3 separate kits. At least that how I concluded I had all mine when auditing.

Auditing??? I wish I had time to think of auditing. POG first. Then price change. Then help push truck. Backups. Help salesfloor get calls. I'm lucky just to get any signing up.

Good luck receiving it in time. Missing one last year, mysupported it and never came.

We set BTS last month, it went pretty well. The essential bins took way too long to build, but it was nice to build something different.

This will probably be my last BTS set. I was called into the office and was offered another position and I took it. I have been doing signing for over 30 years and I sincerely thought I had the best job at Target. But, Big changes are coming and signing wont be a major part of Target any longer, so it was time.

Good luck to those who stick it out.

We set BTS last month, it went pretty well. The essential bins took way too long to build, but it was nice to build something different.

This will probably be my last BTS set. I was called into the office and was offered another position and I took it. I have been doing signing for over 30 years and I sincerely thought I had the best job at Target. But, Big changes are coming and signing wont be a major part of Target any longer, so it was time.

Good luck to those who stick it out.

Are you a NextGen store?

Does anyone have the instruction sheet for the new headers that came direct to store. They have under with blank space for price points
Instructions are 4515263, set june 27-29. I also set them aside for after bts. There's yet another set coming in combination with new produce signs...fml.

Back