MEGATHREAD Signing Tips, Tricks and Quips (along with howls of despair)

Yeah i always deal with we couldnt find it, ih you mean the box right there in the section i labeled salesplanners/hardlines, i dont mind that much cause it just gives me extra hours,

Oh no, I don't get anything extra for this, I just have to get it done.

completely understand you on that one. for me it is now the opposite. after getting a lot of the "we couldn't find it, you do it" or "well you're signing you're supposed to do it" it took a lot of time of talking to each and every TL, HLETL and making sure everyone knew that it was the responsibility of the person putting up the endcap - and then ultimately the TL of that department was responsible for getting their endcaps "brand". mostly if you have good relationships with your TLs and get them on your side (also having your PTL know what the deal is helps). we still have a lot of "we couldn't find it" but since all the TLs know the routine and the location where all salesplanner ISM is staged (never changes, and is always very boldly labeled by date, and title if applicable) it is better. when we had hours (now there is like no hardlines folk on the floor, TL or TM) it worked and one of our HLTL is a SrTL and he would come through on a designated day and pull everything out that scanned as tied and take it out to be put up which was great. i always make sure the team knows that i am available every day during my scheduled hours to help them find or put things up, all they have to do is ask, so not finding things isn't really a legitimate excuse.

completely understand you on that one. for me it is now the opposite. after getting a lot of the "we couldn't find it, you do it" or "well you're signing you're supposed to do it" it took a lot of time of talking to each and every TL, HLETL and making sure everyone knew that it was the responsibility of the person putting up the endcap - and then ultimately the TL of that department was responsible for getting their endcaps "brand". mostly if you have good relationships with your TLs and get them on your side (also having your PTL know what the deal is helps). we still have a lot of "we couldn't find it" but since all the TLs know the routine and the location where all salesplanner ISM is staged (never changes, and is always very boldly labeled by date, and title if applicable) it is better. when we had hours (now there is like no hardlines folk on the floor, TL or TM) it worked and one of our HLTL is a SrTL and he would come through on a designated day and pull everything out that scanned as tied and take it out to be put up which was great. i always make sure the team knows that i am available every day during my scheduled hours to help them find or put things up, all they have to do is ask, so not finding things isn't really a legitimate excuse.

we have a signing space (light duty shelving area with five shelves). we had the same problem of everyone whining they couldn't find their stuff, even though we sorted in by dept on each shelf. so...now all spl signing is located. :diablo:
scan the signing in under sto. yes, it takes 20 minutes every week. but it cuts down HOURS. the signs will not pull automatically, but they will locate when they type in the sign/backer they're looking for and can be pulled out. this eliminated all excuses, especially after we demonstrated how easy it was to the stl. it also showed how lazy our sftl are. and they HATE it because they're having to put out their own signing. my signing guy's best idea so far this year...

I put the boxes in the same place every week but I'm pretty sure what happened was they set the endcaps early.
Nice that they can get a jump on things but I don't have that option ... sorry did that come across as bitter?

I hung the denim without the stabilizer just put it a notch or two closer to the wall and it looks fine (no it's not touching).

we have a signing space (light duty shelving area with five shelves). we had the same problem of everyone whining they couldn't find their stuff, even though we sorted in by dept on each shelf. so...now all spl signing is located. :diablo:
scan the signing in under sto. yes, it takes 20 minutes every week. but it cuts down HOURS. the signs will not pull automatically, but they will locate when they type in the sign/backer they're looking for and can be pulled out. this eliminated all excuses, especially after we demonstrated how easy it was to the stl. it also showed how lazy our sftl are. and they HATE it because they're having to put out their own signing. my signing guy's best idea so far this year...

<This is brilliant! Next week will be light, so I'm locating all the spl signs! Of course the boxes will have to be broken down as ISM tends to use the backer paper as the item they scan for the exterior label.

This won't help with carry forward spl signs that disappear when a salesplanner breaks(Paperchase), but it will confirm that I did indeed put it on that shelf at one time!

Softlines racktops/table signs are separated into different dept grey bins and they take the whole bin with them as they are setting an adjacency. Don't have any problem there, other than the occasional ISM not sending doubles for tables. Their always happy to set their own, then the tl audits and sends me an email for the missing signs that I then put up when they come in.

Last edited:
I hid the paperchase shelf talker and header behind another header cause i knew it was coming back ;)

Anyone else have an overflowing signing area right now? I've got both my pallets completely full, as well as an overflow pallet, AND I just received another pallet of signing on Monday. Our BR TL is gonna have my butt pretty soon...

Also, how long does the FOS take to build and hang? I plan on doing it tomorrow morning, and the backroom team gets a bit irritated when I have the WAVE for a long time.

Anyone else have an overflowing signing area right now? I've got both my pallets completely full, as well as an overflow pallet, AND I just received another pallet of signing on Monday. Our BR TL is gonna have my butt pretty soon...

Also, how long does the FOS take to build and hang? I plan on doing it tomorrow morning, and the backroom team gets a bit irritated when I have the WAVE for a long time.

Build takes a bit but you can do that in the back, hang not all that long just don't wind up having to do it around guests like I did.
Four hours total plus what ever distractions.

Im not looking forward to that fos, we are 6am, backroom has pulls by the time i build it and get the wave its almost 8? Should be fun, why wouldnt a simple its spring yada yada etc a few easy overheads to convey the message instead of if the say 4 hours you might as well add a few to that. At least it isnt the color changes everything :shudders at the memory:

Im not looking forward to that fos, we are 6am, backroom has pulls by the time i build it and get the wave its almost 8? Should be fun, why wouldnt a simple its spring yada yada etc a few easy overheads to convey the message instead of if the say 4 hours you might as well add a few to that. At least it isnt the color changes everything :shudders at the memory:

i wonder why the ISM team doesn't take that into account for 6 am stores...because in the core roles, it says all overhead work should be completed prior to store opening. i don't think corporate wants the liability of a sign falling on somebody, especially at the front of the store where there is unavoidable guest traffic.

the color changes everything was epic to put up, but i loved coming in to it in the morning. and the guest comments on how awesome it was made my day.

hard to do this unless you could actually get a (L)PDA instead of once in a blue moon...do you cut the kit boxes open or???

Wow. If I could get my hands on a PDA/LPDA I would locate all the SPL signing STAT! I didn't even think about that being possible. Seems like a great solution too if you are stuck using light duty for salesplanner signing. i have (fortunately) an ample section of steel for mine, so just with the expanse of the area IDK if locating will work or not but then again I could get the mesh up in between the the pallet spaces and use that to divide the space........not a project for the current time though.

tried to do my FOS yesterday but realized I would be building until well after 8am. not to mention the plano plans then switched and i instead had to break down my ginormous garden pallet to find the See Spot temp fix (which was a joke btw)....so then i had to purge and find room for all the garden place/patio stuff (and toss old SLPL stuff too). didn't even get back to my FOS signing. so much for prebuilding........

then patio happens next week. hope to start prebuilding that sometime on friday.

bleh. patio. someone wanna give me some pointers? a brilliant leader is scheduling my top two tm elsewhere that week. we've set a couple of aisles, hoping the clear the flat tomorrow so we can start building.

hard to do this unless you could actually get a (L)PDA instead of once in a blue moon...do you cut the kit boxes open or???

yep. like i said, takes a while, but was worth it for us.

I like the idea behind locating the signs, but every store is different. I flat out had a TL tell me she wasn't going to put up backer paper, etc. when she does SPLN's because she doesn't have time. It wouldn't matter if the items were located or not. I usually go through the boxes myself and at least put out the headers. I keep the boxes for 2 weeks then pitch them.

I like the idea behind locating the signs, but every store is different. I flat out had a TL tell me she wasn't going to put up backer paper, etc. when she does SPLN's because she doesn't have time. It wouldn't matter if the items were located or not. I usually go through the boxes myself and at least put out the headers. I keep the boxes for 2 weeks then pitch them.

can i just not do stuff i don't have time for? didn't know that was an option.

Doesn't help that at the huddle the other day they recognized the TL for doing such a great job of getting so many endcaps set.
Of course it's easy when you skip doing the backer paper, shelf liner and yell for me to get the signing.

I always cut the combination SPL boxes open , and separate all the different parts onto a grey rolling cart on Friday. They will stay on that cart for the following week, then I scan them again on Friday to see if they "forgot" to put any up, put those up, then they go to a shelf in my signing room. Constant rotation. The kits that are specific, I leave in their boxes, clearly marked, and basically do the same thing. If they weren't used by the end of the week, I put them out or take them apart and move to that shelf.

I insist on a PDA for at least 1 hour on Monday. I walk my salesfloor displays, and now I will insist on another hour Friday to try locating the spl to see if that helps.

Tell your ptl that you want to donate your .1 hours to that tm so they have time to set the backer paper. That .1 becomes .30 when you have to remove all the peghooks when someone doesn't do their backer paper.....

bleh. patio. someone wanna give me some pointers? a brilliant leader is scheduling my top two tm elsewhere that week. we've set a couple of aisles, hoping the clear the flat tomorrow so we can start building.

The overhead sun is going to be the biggest build for the patio set. I would suggest hanging it before building the furniture because you will need the space to move around. You will need 2 people on 2 waves to hang the sun because it is long. The table is pretty easy to build. All the rest of the signing is the same as usual - shelf talkers, 3x5 price holders, brochure holders, etc.

Back