MEGATHREAD Signing Tips, Tricks and Quips (along with howls of despair)

unless your p-fresh is super new (as in just new that these changes are included) i would think it would still affect you (we are pfresh and we are getting it). the transition packets are out so it is out there. there is also a master list to see if your store is getting it, and what version (there are three versions). but yeah, 4/15 is right. doesn't look too major, just shortening down some gondolas to 64" and there is also a fixture change in the cough/cold fixturing and some other things here and there. new bulkhead and lose the CSE as was mentioned already.

All of our healthcare gondolas are already 64" (we're 1 year out of our remodel)

Everything else you mention sounds fairly easy, but I'll have to check my supply of pushers.........

For our store two gondolas are shortening to 64". Also 4 aisles are switching and its all the little stuff in HBA. At our store they want to do it in one day even though the manual suggests two. So in one day we have to strip down 4 whole aisle including endcaps, wait for the SFT to switch out the 2 gondolas, reset 6 aisles (because of the switches we have to set 6 aisles in order to not leave any aisle empty) and push all the product. Aisles that we have to reset include vitamins, nutrition, cough and cold, allergy, pain, and first aid.

For our store two gondolas are shortening to 64". Also 4 aisles are switching and its all the little stuff in HBA. At our store they want to do it in one day even though the manual suggests two. So in one day we have to strip down 4 whole aisle including endcaps, wait for the SFT to switch out the 2 gondolas, reset 6 aisles (because of the switches we have to set 6 aisles in order to not leave any aisle empty) and push all the product. Aisles that we have to reset include vitamins, nutrition, cough and cold, allergy, pain, and first aid.

So... you're going overnight for this and getting ten people for that night? Right? =\

So... you're going overnight for this and getting ten people for that night? Right? =\

We are trying to go overnight. It depends on our SFT if he can go overnight. Its going to take more than 10 people with staggered shifts to demerch, set and stock but I doubt we get that many in one night.

ugh, our POG team is complaining about possibly having to be overnight. and our etls want to start setting it "early". we'll see if the pallet comes this weekend.

ugh, our POG team is complaining about possibly having to be overnight. and our etls want to start setting it "early". we'll see if the pallet comes this weekend.

That's crazy. Complain about going overnight? Overnight is the only sensible time to even DO plano work.

That's crazy. Complain about going overnight? Overnight is the only sensible time to even DO plano work.

Unless you can't get an ETL who wants to do one.

My understanding is that with the switch to 7:30 unload next Monday at our store, unless the DTL approves it, no one can come in before 7am unless it is Sunday ad set. At least, that is what I am told. So, no overnights to set HBA here. I asked my ETL how will I set the FOS signing with the store open (it seems all POG and pricing will come in at 7:30). He said, "I'll help you." Thanks. I do appreciate the offer. But, he has no attention span and no experience. I'll just put up one of the "caution wet floor signs" and block the entrance. That should go over well with guests. Anyone else going to have this problem?

Oh, that is going to be rough. We are a 4am unload store, but we are allowed to make a decision if we need to do an over night. Rare, but like we did for the cosmetic set.

If it were me, I would ask the dtl at his next visit about this. Tell him you are concerned about the "safety and the distraction it will cause our guests" when you are hanging heavy FOS.

NO hours next week, how about the rest of you?

Yup, only one day for me next week. Just See Spot, Contract Wireless and some Salesplanners. Looks like signing is changing in See Spot judging by the the big box I got in.

My understanding is that with the switch to 7:30 unload next Monday at our store, unless the DTL approves it, no one can come in before 7am unless it is Sunday ad set. At least, that is what I am told. So, no overnights to set HBA here. I asked my ETL how will I set the FOS signing with the store open (it seems all POG and pricing will come in at 7:30). He said, "I'll help you." Thanks. I do appreciate the offer. But, he has no attention span and no experience. I'll just put up one of the "caution wet floor signs" and block the entrance. That should go over well with guests. Anyone else going to have this problem?

They will be sending some new cones for use when Signing / SFT has lifts on the floor. Forget what they say, but it was part of the communication sent down to stores.

Still will be fun hanging 20 pounds signs with a guest right below us.

They will be sending some new cones for use when Signing / SFT has lifts on the floor. Forget what they say, but it was part of the communication sent down to stores.

Still will be fun hanging 20 pounds signs with a guest right below us.

And of they will want to know why it took so long, since you have to spend twice as much time looking out for errant guests who don't pay attention to cones.

Oh man. Guests and the wave do NOT mix. I haven't had anything crazy happen but I have to keep people from going under me all the time! Doesn't it look dangerous? People definitely have tried to muscle their carts around me and its like - 'you really shouldn't even be in this aisle right now' even some regular signing can be pretty dangerous of the clips snap and something goes flying. It would actually be nice to have the aisle block chains that Home Depot uses to block off aisles that they have their forklifts, etc working in. We are overnight but I could use a set of those cones (whether they work or not, better than nothing, right?) My store never used to have a problem with having the wave on the floor (after 8am) but a couple STLs and probably two sets of ETLs later they freak out and say "best practice says no wave on the floor after 8am!". I know my old DTL was fine with it, but I don't know the new one much at all yet so I don't try and find out the hard way.

We're an o/n store. I would much rather do big sets o/n. My team has some older folks and they grumble about not being able to sleep. They didn't used to have an aversion to being overnight, but I think that since our current ETL/TL like to "spring" it on them, this is their version of push-back. Now its all grumbles about overnights, and they want to do it as few days as possible. Me? I'm the opposite - unless I have some other obligation that dictates otherwise - for my sleep and my sanity I just prefer the same time all week. Changing up my sleep schedules really messes me up - used to be able to function on no sleep - but now I kind of need 8hr min to be able to get up on time.

My hours aren't down but I'm still in SmApp changing out all the liners and refreshing all the displays in the dept (even on the REVs). I still have to go back and get to the curtain displays (why do they have to send SO many???). Plus some odds and ends here and there all over the store - plus special projects getting some depts back on their brand. Although I will be expected to be in the fixture room simultaneously this whole time as well. Time to make some magic happen I guess. I also just got a box with a bunch of missing cosmetics picture strips - hopefully I can get some time with our cosbrandTM to get those out....

Last edited:
This is the week to do it. I'm done with this week's work, now I'm fixing things. Headers in infants & softlines high wall backers are starting to sag, category strips that disappear, PPA's, OH, and those dang blow dryer strips...... NOT ONE was left after Easter weekend. GONE.

I swear I'm going to buy white and black adhesive shelf liner and make some strips. We've had those clear overlays over 20 years, can't ISM get it through their head that they DO NOT stay on? sheeeesh

BTW, has anyone had any luck getting the Price Match endcap headers through TIPP?

I ordered a hundred, just wondering if they will ever come in......

This is the week to do it. I'm done with this week's work, now I'm fixing things. Headers in infants & softlines high wall backers are starting to sag, category strips that disappear, PPA's, OH, and those dang blow dryer strips...... NOT ONE was left after Easter weekend. GONE.

I swear I'm going to buy white and black adhesive shelf liner and make some strips. We've had those clear overlays over 20 years, can't ISM get it through their head that they DO NOT stay on? sheeeesh

i gave up on the clear overlays in hair app. i just put double-stick tape onto the paper strips and leave it at that. it stays better than the overlays and for some reason (i don't know how) they don't really get that dirty or dinged up. since they are smaller than the metal channel lip - the tape is necessary.

i never ordered more price match since didn't the original packet say that they were going to send a big push at a later date in the year (march/april/may?) and that wasn't necessary? we've made due with the original batch so far.....

Just a random Q for everyone...how did everyone's small appliance Revisions go? From a brand perspective they were completely decimated and needed a full overhaul on the displays (blenders, toast, floorcare) instead of just pop out a few old ones and plug in a few new. Toasters and blenders actually weren't bad - they just seemed like it since i stripped and redid all the liners in there. as for floorcare......oh man. ours was just all over the place. on top of that did anyone notice that some of the label strips needed to be pulled from the display shelfline - or maybe new ones came in that our store didn't get? i had to just cover up all the inline labels since they not only didn't apply anymore (clearance/discontinued items) but even the ones that were new (dyson) the label strips didn't match the order in the line listing on the POG. it took me long enough to wrap my head around what the problem was - then having to try to explain that to my ETL was a project in and of itself.

Back