MEGATHREAD Signing Tips, Tricks and Quips (along with howls of despair)

Hey, at least that's the only problem you had with yours. They didn't even send me the top shelf for the Circo shipper. And the men's Hanes shippers from last week both were missing the bodies! Way to go Target DC. I can't wait to see what I'm missing for Trim a Tree next week!
Well I was out when it came on lol, but from what I heard, it was ALL OVER THE PLACE!!

So I have a questions. WHERE DO I FIND AN ONLINE COPY OF THE SIGNING INVOICE FROM THE PALLET OFF THE TRUCK? Or don't I? And if I do will it know I am missing stuff? And I am missing portions of a pallet from 4 trucks ago and 1/2 the stuff from 2 trucks ago. What do I do? Reorder it ALL?

Lawdy lawdy, I had a bugger of a time assembing the Cami shipper. Whoever is the engineer for those things must be sleeping with whoever the screwdriver supplier is, I think, because all of that is unnecessary. All you need to do is a simple foam-tape operation to secure most of that, not the way they have it as if it needs to withstand a hurricane. It's just going to be sitting in one spot for 2 months, not being used as an obstacle on American Gladiators. They also need to maybe hookup instead with whoever designs the Hanes shippers -- the kind that takes maybe 10 minutes to assemble instead of 30 minutes. If they could just make the bottom box large enough for the tri-fold piece to fit INSIDE, instead of having to bolt the box to the inside of the trifold... but that's too much to ask I guess -__-

They're letting us take down the plaid monsters down this week so it won't need to be done on the over-nighters. I'm saving all of my OneUps because the plaid debacle pretty much blasted my entire collection of OneUps, and all of my orders for replacements are still on backorder. I remember the cables from last year, and I'm not very excited about the prospect this year.

That monster pallet that was described a page or so ago, also came in badly damaged and ripped clean thru the wrapper for us. I sent a slightly snarky email to a contact I have at the DC, that whoever stacked it might need to consider a different line of work, and he sent back photos that it was actually loaded that way, rather than breaking mid-truck-shipment. He said they will be sending a big negative feedback report or whatever to the supplier of them (as the DC themselves do not assemble them, they only receive them and send them along on their way), because a really large number of stores had to be loaded like that and it was a massive pain for all involved on their end.

Received our shipment of fixtures for the One Spot switcheroo, and altho we get no gondola changes, we do get nicer-looking dividers at least and a big weird-looking Target pup. We had looked up the map/pog prior to see if there were more fixtures we needed ordering, but quickly discovered that none of the parts listed were even SAP-orderable, so we were basically screwed in the pood if they didn't send any.

Does anyone else have an absurd abundance of plastic 7x11 %-off signs, overflowing, that the Q4 refresher only added insult to injury? We have approximately 12 million of them, give or take, it seems like, (which never get damaged and might even have begun breeding on their own) and then HQ autoships us like a heavy box of them.

I'm not sure where you could possibly get an online copy of the pallet invoice.. I also doubt it will know you are missing stuff. You might be able to write the DC to ask, but only if you know the pallet ID. For each pallet that comes in I take a photograph of all the pallet IDs so I can reference them just in case something happens in the future.. the DC might be able to print or direct you to where you could, but you might need to ask MySupport for a DC contact, which is how I got my contact. My DC is actually quite happy to answer emails instead of having to deal with MySupport sending along 3rd party info in broken English, I think.

We had to order the two buildable focals (one of which stays over into Xmas) for Halloween, because they simply never arrived, and each day it was like, "is it here? Can we be complete finally?" until it finally came seemingly too far along. If you can somehow figure out what the particular KIT number is for the items you're missing, just MySupport that you need those kits, and it should go smoothly instead of having to order each individual sign each kit would normally need -- however, be warned: those two focals we needed arrived COMBINED across 2 cartons.. not each in their own carton, but pieces from one in either box. So if you need to order a dozen kits, be prepared to spend way too much time than necessary sorting out individual things to set.

There is a link to the online packing slip somewhere on workbench. I knew how to get to it on the old workbench, but I haven't tried to look for it on the new workbench. You could only see the most current packing slip.

Two words.

Child sacrifice.
I normally say goat...gets me weird looks every time.
So the monthly signing update says we have 8.5 hours of take down next week. However it forgot to mention what it wanted us to take down. My best guess is the plaid overheads.
I really need to remember to look up abd print these...annoying enough that the playbook every week says high for signing and often medium or low for pricing but I get 28hrs and they get 40.

The one spot reinvention is killing me. We're not on the list, but the signing kit only shows the reinvention setup...If this is a booboo I will skin somebody alive. I don't have time to fool around this week.

It's very clear it takes a certain breed of humor to do signing!!!!
Let's throw one up to the whothehellever. The one spot reinvention boxes that all say refer to directions in box ...21? Yeah, NO ____ DIRECTIONS!!!! And if I get ANY more signing in from the truck it's going outside with the cardboard bails till I can get to it... Seriously? Do they think the signing room is 20x20? & I'm allowed to work 60 hrs a week? Doesn't even include displays.

It's very clear it takes a certain breed of humor to do signing!!!!
Let's throw one up to the whothehellever. The one spot reinvention boxes that all say refer to directions in box ...21? Yeah, NO ____ DIRECTIONS!!!! And if I get ANY more signing in from the truck it's going outside with the cardboard bails till I can get to it... Seriously? Do they think the signing room is 20x20? & I'm allowed to work 60 hrs a week? Doesn't even include displays.
We're not getting the reinvention. Only box with directions only shows install for reinvention...wtf?

So the monthly signing update says we have 8.5 hours of take down next week. However it forgot to mention what it wanted us to take down. My best guess is the plaid overheads.

Ha! Took those big bastards down on Wednesday--took 1.5 hours for all of them--because I realized that as soon as I popped a few of the signing sticks off of the ceiling, the whole thing would just fall. Glad nobody was standing underneath!

Hey, at least that's the only problem you had with yours. They didn't even send me the top shelf for the Circo shipper. And the men's Hanes shippers from last week both were missing the bodies! Way to go Target DC. I can't wait to see what I'm missing for Trim a Tree next week!

So we've started building our wrap and ornament bins, and only half of them have had directions so far...not so much a problem for me, but we have our Pharmacy girls building them, and they're slightly clueless. Sigh.

Both the round trim standalone focals ask for the same tree display (1304) to be built into them, but they only sent us one. I wonder if it was supposed to have a different tree and they just wrote the pog incorrectly, since it came the same day as another tree display (1303). Taking down the plaid overheads took me like 3 hours, but I was using the wave to make sure none of the hooks snapped by just letting them fall down. Luckily my store has two in the backroom so nobody complained about it missing.

Somehow were supposed to set ALL of TAT and Bullseye but Wednesday AM. My Plano team is 5 people and were a high volume store.....FML. I was smart and built the premium wrap death trap early on this week. Be fortunate you have help building anything, I have no support and neither does my team.

I just took over as the new Signing TM a few days ago. I have had little/no real training and was forced to use the wave this morning to take down all the plaid overheads despite the fact that I was never actually trained to use it. I'm actively dreading next week because I have absolutely no idea how to do much of anything that I'll be required to do. When I try to express this to my ETLs, I only seem to get a response that goes something like "just do the best you can" because all of them are absolutely clueless, too. Can anyone point me in the direction of a thread that might be the slightest bit helpful for someone in my position? At this point, even just a job description or a summary of my overall responsibilities/expectations would be immensely helpful.

I just took over as the new Signing TM a few days ago. I have had little/no real training and was forced to use the wave this morning to take down all the plaid overheads despite the fact that I was never actually trained to use it. I'm actively dreading next week because I have absolutely no idea how to do much of anything that I'll be required to do. When I try to express this to my ETLs, I only seem to get a response that goes something like "just do the best you can" because all of them are absolutely clueless, too. Can anyone point me in the direction of a thread that might be the slightest bit helpful for someone in my position? At this point, even just a job description or a summary of my overall responsibilities/expectations would be immensely helpful.
Haha! You are in it! Lol post your questions. SOMEONE will answer. Direct. Or laugh while commiserating with you. If you have ANY knowledge of planograms it will be useful. Get on work bench one search monthly signing update. Also the weekly store update on red wire (exact name escapes my mind at the moment) had a lot of info. You will need to check in the pallet when it comes in. And basically clean up after the whole store. INSIST they send you out for training. And go back in this feed and read. I like it because it's a group of ppl doing what we do sharing. There is only 1 of us in each store. It's helpful to know we are not alone.

Oh man! They threw you under the bus! This week their isn't much room for catching up with training. There is a lot!!! To do. Build, build, build your heart out this week. Get with your presentation tl to know what their setting first so you can get any signing out of the way once the aisle is set. You don't want to build something and have it take up room in the back just because its pending on the set. You won't know what to build until you open the box a bit and fetch out the instructions. This gives you an idea on what to build and how long it will take you to build it. You will need a copy of the trim a tree rear seasonal map. This will guide u on how rear seasonal is supposed to be set up. You will also need the trim a tree manual. It's a book that shows you how everything is supposed to look like. Insist on having someone help you build and set up the Christmas trees. Don't throw any of your papers away. You might need to reference back to them if you have doubts. Things you might want to start on first are the premium wrapping paper shippers and bulk wrapping paper shippers. If not set insist on having them set by the time your done building. Keep one of the Halloween focals, its carry forward to trim a tree. For the over heads (signs you hang on the celing) for this transition you will use the cable hooks and not the plastic hooks. Cse signs are the ones you hang on the back of the rear seasonal walls. You will have two sets because you have two walls to hang them on. My neighbor store threw out the other set not realizing they had the other side of the wall to switch out too. Get as much help as possible!! This is the biggest transition of the year. Every time you get a pallet always check it in. This way you have an idea of what you have and what is being set. Keep organized, stay calm! Welcome to signing!

We need you to build the baking center they said...it didn't take long to empty the endcap they said...it will be ready they said....argh. Thank goodness we started with the truck crew today for timing.

Onto building ornament bins.

Attachments

• 20151031_034224.jpg
    20151031_034224.jpg
    990.7 KB · Views: 53
It surprises me how many signing ninjas build everything. I set the baking end cap myself and I built the fixture. If something needs to built for s plano/focal the plano team member setting also builds. And why would a signing person put up backer paper?? That's the first step of a plano. I don't understand some of these teams.

It surprises me how many signing ninjas build everything. I set the baking end cap myself and I built the fixture. If something needs to built for s plano/focal the plano team member setting also builds. And why would a signing person put up backer paper?? That's the first step of a plano. I don't understand some of these teams.
The backer paper thing is being dealt with. Not changing, lying about it on a trend run and a giant visit coming...today it was using one sheet on the mini gondola in seasonal instead of two...ugh.

Hey @logicrovers!
Great comments in this thread and in others (i especially liked the quote about being a shark and to never stop moving, and to fight to get your stuff done - so true! one of the first things i was ever told when i was out being trained was "the most important thing i can tell you is to not let them take advantage of you and your time, people will try to pull you in many directions at once"). One great thing about this board is that in your store you are kind of an island where everyone knows they need you to do stuff but no one really knows what it is that you do. One day you will be king of the store just because you did your job and what you are supposed to do, the next you will be the lowest performing team member ever because someone from the flow team overstocked an endcap and broke the 3-sided header and whoever replaced it (if you are so lucky, generally you wil be the one replacing it) lost the aisle number and the street signs which you now have to order because you didn't go to your psychic this week to know that would happen!

But I digress.

One good place to start might be to talk to your Plano TL and find out what their expectations are of you. If they expect you to set, that is going to be a different workload style than someone who doesn't. Also, if you have worked plano with your pog team, you will know how they work - do they need things from you, do you set all their headers for them? hand them off? etc. Also, are you going to be in charge of your workload, or is your TL? 99% of the signing folks i know (does anyone else avoid the term "signing tm" like the plague, like me?) plan and execute their own workload. However, there are cases (rare) where the Plano TL will just say - you are doing XYZ on XZY day.

Routines.

The Pallet. This one is the one for me, which is my own and no one else helps, or touches. For me, unpacking the pallet is my visual workload (I'm a visual learner so chances are if I see it, i remember it). Know when yours comes in. Make nice with your Logistics ETLs and TLs to get a designated spot they can put it for you, and also to make sure it is carefully removed from the truck. You will get some precarious packing on there and if a pallet is likely to be top heavy, lopsided, too tall it is likely to be yours. Say you get a really tall lop-sided pallet that breaks during the unload. My Logistics ETL and TLs know that its makes everyone's life easier to gather everything up and make sure it all gets if not to the designated area, at least relatively together or even restacked. In the past i've come in to piles of rubble from a frazzled O/N exec that doesn't care or respect your position or what that can create for everybody. So......unpacking. Look over your packslip (make sure they leave it on there too). When you are in your full routine you will be aware of what is coming up from already being familiar with your Monthly Workload so everything on the slip should seem like something you remember. Estimate how you will organize this in the designated area (leave enough room to put the 12 boxes of seasonal paper together). Now, my team plays dumb like no other when it comes to looking for signing. So, to combat this I order the big fat chisel-tip markers off of TIPP (any color but red or black since there will be marks in these colors from the DC already, Blue or Green is good) and write HUGE two things - the set date (09/02) and also what it is, provided there is enough room (MINI, or REAR SEAS, or ACC TREND 2 HUE, SPRTNG GOODS). I group everything that goes together, together. Like with Like. (Understandably depending on the room you are provided this may not be possible - i have two pallet spaces for new/incoming signing). If you get a transition pallet you may want to leave it together (Toys, Cosmetics, Remodel, these sometimes come wrapped within your pallet). At my store, the salesfloor does the salesplanners and not pog, so these are not in the same area to avoid confusion, but sorting is the same. You are supposed to have a separate space for fixtures, but i try to put mine next to the signing if there is not a crazy amount labeled in the same way so that it gets taken as a whole kit and not piece by peice, or i find myself having to spend and hour searching for a tiny bracket box 3 days after the set because its missing. So, also know how you are grouping your items. I keep everything for one set together, and try to keep this weeks stuff to one side, and next to the other. Usually you get your stuff 1-2 weeks in advance so you can have between 1 and 3 set dates living there at once.

Also - learn your colors! Your department colors that is. You can pinpoint things at a glance. BUT also when you label them this is where you notice mistakes or discrepancies or just weird tendencies. Like, look at The Shops - one of my boxes is marked "Garden Place/Seasonal" which my store doesn't have. The other ones are marked by department. You would thing they would be Yellow for Storewide Campaign like seasonal but its not - probably because it is a limited time thing - but it is still seasonal - so it's Green (same green as infants i think). Departmental colors help you also if you are directing someone to get something if you can't yourself ("it's got sticker with a light blue label on it") but for me a lot of times I use it as a marker for things that are typically only for me - store hours, operational signs and fixtures etc (usually Beige label). Also know how to pick out Non-Retail ISM/Fixtures from CEVA or or Lozier, Office Max (comes fedex i know, but it fits here). Also know that if there is a box on your pallet that is Pharmacy or something that is from a product box, not your normal ISM box, it might be your store ordered supplies, sometimes they just use what is lying around for these and can deceive you if you are not paying attention. Also - when you come across the store ordered stuff, make sure you get out the pack-slip make sure it is all there and not on backorder. It will also tell you who ordered it (if not you) so you know who to get it to. Also - go through the whole box. I don't know how many times there is like one tiny pack of temporary discount cards under five bags of RX rubber rings, etc - also another reason to go over all your slips!

*new 10/26/12*
When you receive a completely damaged/decimated pallet (ie not one or two broken boxes, ALL of them broken or missing). If you have items come to you damaged you can reorder them on TIPP at no cost to your store. Make sure when you order on TIPP that the pull-down menu for "damaged" is selected. What Target wants you to do in this situation is go through everything you have, find what is not damaged and use that and then only order what you need based on the individual instruction sheets. This is the most cost-effective measure and works find for missing a piece or two. However we all know how incredibly impractical this is especially in cases such as these which happen ridiculously often. In this case I would say pull up your online packslip. This will have your listing of all your ISM materials and cartons. From here you will get your carton names and numbers. Find out if anything is salvageable (by the carton) since the less you are missing the better. Go onto MySupport and submit a support for damaged/missing signs/fixtures. Have you Carton name and Job number for everything you need replaced. Submit what you are missing. Stress that the pallet was completely destroyed. Tell them that you need an immediate replacement carton sent to store ASAP. They will usually respond with "here is a link to the instruction sheet on TIPP, please reorder what you are missing". Which is insane. Could you imagine reordering one of those focals individually piece by piece? I usually have good luck reporting the carton numbers. Be firm, polite, and stress the urgent nature of your need to have new cartons sent to store. If you must you may have to order it via TIPP piece by piece but you can try to avoid that this way. Also - since it is no cost to your store if you have to do that do each carton on a separate order so that you order form is will also serve as your needed materials for when it comes in.
Also if they don't give you the answer you like always provide feedback and if necessary you can try and see if your STL will escalate it. I know for BTC I had this issue and they sent me the cartons after my MySupport requests. Just make sure you check them and stay on top of them, and even resubmit if you have to.

Alright. That was a book as it is. I will post for now, but come back and edit maybe one section at a time. Outline below (subject to change)

Planning

Partnering

Execution

Follow-Up

Other

The tree holder was delivered on pallet. It came when I was off and put up in the steel. I had to bring it down cause there was no description on the pallet and I didn't know what it was. It looks kinda like the pallet of gift cards or similar to hba pipo pallets.

Back