MEGATHREAD Signing Tips, Tricks and Quips (along with howls of despair)

sorry if this question has been asked a hundred times, but i'm super duper new (to target and signing) and i was wondering how you guys organize all your different signage? do you separate them by area, or by set date, or? i was basically thrown into this with very little training so i'm kind of floundering a little, and my signing room has me a bit flustered b/c it's a hot mess atm.
I separate Sales Planners from Transition (SPLNs), Most of Pogs signing falls on me, as they work two weeks ahead, which means much of the signing I get in for transitions is already set. This I store on a rolling rack down one of my fixture room Aisles. I also store the current back paper (usually all big circle right now, lol). On this cart so Plano can easily get it.

SLPN's I sort by week, and have laminated labels denoting what week it is (Week of 4/8, then the other 4/15, etc.).

I do this so I can visually see all the work Sales floor team does not do. And all I have yet to do. All Softlines signing I take and drop off at the fitting room, unless it is huge, I store it with transition (because if it is decently big, it means I have to do it).

Last edited:
I separate Sales Planners from Transition (SPLNs), Most of Pogs signing falls on me, as they work two weeks ahead, which means much of the signing I get in for transitions is already set. This I store on a rolling rack down one of my fixture room Aisles. I also store the current back paper (usually all big circle right now, lol). On this cart so Plano can easily get it.

SLPN's I sort by week, and have laminated labels denoting what week it is (Week of 4/8, then the other 4/15, etc.).

I do this so I can visually see all the work Sales floor team does not do. And all I have yet to do. All Softlines signing I take and drop off at the fitting room, unless it is huge, I store it with transition (because if it is decently big, it means I have to do it).

awesome, thank you! that's super helpful. do you throw away any extra signing you don't use or do you keep it just in case? my natural instinct is to keep things but i'm quickly realizing that's just going to lead to more clutter so i'm not sure what would be better.

awesome, thank you! that's super helpful. do you throw away any extra signing you don't use or do you keep it just in case? my natural instinct is to keep things but i'm quickly realizing that's just going to lead to more clutter so i'm not sure what would be better.

it depends, (Waiting on a fixture, or I put a MySupport in about something, almost always its for transitions that I keep). I throw away all SPLN signing, (a week after set date) unless it is Plano owned permanent Endcaps, or Cosmetics and Electronics (because random vendors/may come to you for questions).

Depends on your space. I've got a chunk of steel nobody is supposed to touch but Plano and a closet for sales planners.

I have an empty bay and a rack of steal with 4 wire shelving. In the empty bay is usually displays waiting to be build along with any fixtures needed for an upcoming transition .

Shelf 4
Shelf 3
Shelf 2
Shelf 1
Floor

Shelf 4 left is first week out transition
Shelf 4 right is second week out transition
Shelf 3 left is third week out transition
Shelf 3 right is fourth week out transition
Shelf 2 left is spln week one
Shelf 2 right is spln week two
Shelf 1 left is spln week three
Shelf 1 right is spln week four

There's usually nothing on the floor but I use that space for most of my own ism that I have ordered. When the pptl let's me know whats being worked on what days, Ill write the day on the box near the label. I don't know how else to help these people. I have no backing from pptl or any tl for that matter. TMs know if they decide not to do it, I'll end up having to do it myself and that's usually what happens. Sometimes it's not that big of a deal but I have my own stuff to do. Especially weeks where I'm only signing one or two days and am expected to do a week of signing.

Depends on your space. I've got a chunk of steel nobody is supposed to touch but Plano and a closet for sales planners.

What in the fuck. All signing was forced into my fixture room once we got SFS, then guess what?

1 month later all gondola parts are ALSO in my fixture room steel. (I work in a high volume store, with a fixture room 2/3rds the size of all others in my district).

I am jealous.

What in the fuck. All signing was forced into my fixture room once we got SFS, then guess what?

1 month later all gondola parts are ALSO in my fixture room steel. (I work in a high volume store, with a fixture room 2/3rds the size of all others in my district).

I am jealous.

Damn, that blows. I was just given extra space: an empty bay for signing pallets to be dropped before I open them up and a section of steel for shippers and other salesplan signing.

All that being said, I took this extra space with a grain of salt because with all the changes happening company wide, it wouldn't surprise me at all if this space is really just an attempt to "dumb down" signing for whenever or however they eliminate the role and release it to the sales floor masses.

I have an empty bay and a rack of steal with 4 wire shelving. In the empty bay is usually displays waiting to be build along with any fixtures needed for an upcoming transition .

Shelf 4
Shelf 3
Shelf 2
Shelf 1
Floor

Shelf 4 left is first week out transition
Shelf 4 right is second week out transition
Shelf 3 left is third week out transition
Shelf 3 right is fourth week out transition
Shelf 2 left is spln week one
Shelf 2 right is spln week two
Shelf 1 left is spln week three
Shelf 1 right is spln week four

There's usually nothing on the floor but I use that space for most of my own ism that I have ordered. When the pptl let's me know whats being worked on what days, Ill write the day on the box near the label. I don't know how else to help these people. I have no backing from pptl or any tl for that matter. TMs know if they decide not to do it, I'll end up having to do it myself and that's usually what happens. Sometimes it's not that big of a deal but I have my own stuff to do. Especially weeks where I'm only signing one or two days and am expected to do a week of signing.

I use dates, because
Damn, that blows. I was just given extra space: an empty bay for signing pallets to be dropped before I open them up and a section of steel for shippers and other salesplan signing.

All that being said, I took this extra space with a grain of salt because with all the changes happening company wide, it wouldn't surprise me at all if this space is really just an attempt to "dumb down" signing for whenever or however they eliminate the role and release it to the sales floor masses.

I agree,

I've also noticed that our Christmas overheads, were lame(easy) as fuck, compared to the 7 headed Hydra we had the year before.

I am jealous.

I used to have a section in the steel. But I was told, forced, to move into the fixture room. I now store signing in the fixture room and new displays and fixtures in the tl offices. My biggest issue is with softlines. Too many fixtures. They are totally unorganized. It's a fight each week. I came in today to carts of fixtures jammed in there.

I use dates, because

I agree,

I've also noticed that our Christmas overheads, were lame(easy) as fuck, compared to the 7 headed Hydra we had the year before.

Yeah, all the overheads are easy now. At first I thought it was nice but now....makes me wonder. I am hoping to get some more insight at my review as to what I can expect from my stl with all these changes occurring. He seems amenable to letting me continue doing signing as is, but not sure how much leeway he'll have once this pilot goes full throttle.

I think if my steel space was taken away I would start dropping the signing pallets in the fixture room still wrapped. And let everyone figure it out themselves while I worked one box off of it at a time. "Sorry, no room to put this anywhere else now. Guess you'll just have to pitch in with working it if it is in your way." Cause, you know, that would go over well. Lol

I am jealous.
I used to have an empty trailer in the middle bay.... They forced me out of that for transition storage. If they force me into the fixture room the pmt would have to move his gondola parts, and the rest of the world would be restricted to much less stuff. Plano included. I already let go of a file cabinet to store cse size boxes.

I only get my space because I've always got the spare parts we need. Last couple kids never did, even with all that space.

When it comes to the curtain displays anyone noticing they are reducing compared to past sets? I'm getting rid of a lot of curtain displays and I didn't get all too many new displays.

I haven't noticed that yet. What I have noticed is that they are still coming. And coming. And coming

So I'm being cross trained in signing because the signing TM at my store is like pregnant, and she doesn't feel comfortable on the wave anymore. I'm in on Friday to work on the Hunter stuff and she won't be in. I was asking her questions about what she does and how she knows what to do/look up on workbench but I still don't really know what I'm doing... Is there anything I should know? I'm going to end up temporarily covering her spot when she has her baby and goes on leave. I had several shifts with her over the past few weeks but she didn't have anything to work on so I ended up pushing Easter candy and jumping in to help SFS.

So I'm being cross trained in signing because the signing TM at my store is like pregnant, and she doesn't feel comfortable on the wave anymore. I'm in on Friday to work on the Hunter stuff and she won't be in. I was asking her questions about what she does and how she knows what to do/look up on workbench but I still don't really know what I'm doing... Is there anything I should know? I'm going to end up temporarily covering her spot when she has her baby and goes on leave. I had several shifts with her over the past few weeks but she didn't have anything to work on so I ended up pushing Easter candy and jumping in to help SFS.

"like pregnant"?

When it comes to the curtain displays anyone noticing they are reducing compared to past sets? I'm getting rid of a lot of curtain displays and I didn't get all too many new displays.

I noticed when all of the old ones scanned as NOP. But some of the new ones have swatches attached with the alternate colors which explains why there is less displays overall. I like it, way cleaner.

This made me laugh a little because when I was pregnant with my last baby, I was still using the wave one week before I gave birth. But I am a stubborn lady and really shouldn't judge because every woman's pregnancy is different.

I think your best bet is to pay attention to what she does for signing until she goes on her leave. A lot of what signing entails isn't stuff you can't teach in a day and is learned on the fly. Biggest thing to learn from her now is how she stays organized with all the signing coming in. Have her show you her routines: things she does weekly or daily to stay on top of everything. Worst thing to come back to from leave is a huge backlog of signing that wasn't done, hard to catch up and then keep up at the same time.

Last edited:
This made me laugh a little because when I was pregnant with my last baby, I was still using the wave one week before I gave birth. But I am a stubborn lady and really shouldn't judge because every woman's pregnancy is different.

I think your best bet is to pay attention to what she does for signing until she goes on her leave. A lot of what signing entails isn't stuff you can't teach in a day and is learned on the fly. Biggest thing to learn from her now is how she stays organized with all the signing coming in. Have her show you her routines: things she does weekly or daily to stay on top of everything. Worst thing to come back to from leave is a huge backlog of signing that wasn't done, hard to catch up and then keep up at the same time.
I think she is like 5 months along? She is showing at least. I don't get many days with her since I am a SFS TM normally but I'm trying lol

(My store had an ETL that worked her ass off all the time and it was no different when she was pregnant either)

? I have gotten no new display curtains , and recently threw mine away (today). Was about 3 repacks worth, but none showing on Planogram?, not just on the Zebra, but also pog images, and line listing.

You know what, I don't care, flex it (fuck it)

Back