Starbucks Team Leaders

Is that what you are supposed to get, or what your store decided to give you? I went from 160 to 140. It seems that your store is busier than mine based on the 175.

My store didn't get on board with the allocated hours until last April, so I don't know how long it lasts. Last January I was in the 107 to 112 range, I believe.

Well, it's official - FA is going to be replaced with a SB in the middle of January. 5 weeks construction and 1 week of training.

One week of training is interesting, but it doesn't sound like it's going to be enough. Is that all it takes to learn all the ropes? I've been studying the info at starbucksfaster.com and it all seems pretty overwhelming to me.

Is my head going to explode?

Lol, it might. I think they got 2 weeks of training at my store, but I was not part of Starbucks at the time, so maybe it was a week. It should be a solid 40 hours of training, which will be enough. There are recipe cards to use, and the drinks follow a predictable formula. You already seem to have the guest service part down.

How long do these hour droughts last for Starbucks. A bit different when I was leading Meat, hours were always consistent even during the Beginning of the year hour droughts.
You should see an increase in hours next November. Seriously, the hours you get in January won't be much different from the rest of the year until we get to the holidays again. Mine dropped down to 138. I'm expecting ~133 in February and then maybe another 5 hours in the summer, then low 140s in October.

It's the same with the rest of the store. We'll see an increase for about two weeks for back to college, but it'll be super low for the rest of the year until we get to November again. And even November wasn't very good except for the week of thanksgiving lol.

How can any volume Starbucks opperate on 107 hours? :O
My store can operate on single coverage pretty much all the time (except weekends) and we do about $6-7k/week during the year. Even this week and last week, I've felt comfortable leaving my best team members alone during the day on a weekday so I can go work on the order or go get carts, as long as I have a walkie so they can call if they need me. I really only need the extra hours to do the order and help with breaks because only a couple other people in the store could even cover in an emergency.

We have been very busy November and December, and could never do single coverage all day right now. I am curious to see how much it slows down after school starts back up. 107 was rough. You could get coffee made for people, but it was hard to keep up on cleaning. And training was pretty impossible.

We can do single coverage the first hr in the am & the last two at night but more often than not the opener is alone for the first three hrs & the closer is solo for the last four.

So with hour cuts being gutted, how are you guys dividing the hours to your team? When I lead the meat department, my team of college students and old men. They trusted me to do what is best and would seek else where when they needed more hours (rarely). Here I have a team ranging from 17-23 (and a 34 year old that feels like I'm working with a 10 year old at times). Should schedule based on who has proven to be more independent and capable of getting things if they have to go solo. Or should I give hours based on seniority? Or just straight out give out hours evenly? Any way I go at it, people who be pissed at not getting the hours they desire. Hours are tight in my store, so I can't even get any of them cashier shifts.

My gut feeling says to give hours to those that have proven to me they can get things done and have been consistent about it. I would rather not waste hours on someone that needs to be told what to do or consistently calls out or wants to leave early.

Do some of your team have different availabilities. I have some who are in school and want only so many hours. I have my AST who will retain most of her hours. She orders for me, and does sets, inventory, etc when needed. For the rest, I try to keep things as even and fair as I can.

That said, all of my baristas can work independently--they all have to work alone at times, even during the holidays. If you have baristas who cannot work independently, you should have a talk with them. If you are not confident leaving them alone, tell them. Don't just cut their hours with no explanation. If you have someone who calls in, he should be on some kind of CA. Again, if you decide to give more hours to the more reliable and capable, you should be able to tell the others why.

I attempt to do it evenly, but that doesn't always work out perfectly so I end up giving slight priority to my top performers. If they ask why, I tell them that I need to see more from them (make drinks quicker, do extra cleaning tasks or sampling when there is time, etc.). At the end of the day, it's a business and I have to make the right business decision.

So, I went to SB in a Krogers yesterday to investigate things. It was smaller than I expected and I noticed a tip jar. Does Spot allow that? And if so, do you take your (if working alone) tips home after work?

be prepared to fend off angry rants from people who are personally offended that they can't tip you. sigh. I'd much rather make a steady wage and not get tipped than never be sure how much was coming on my next check. not to mention I have an issue with the concept of tipping. but that's a rant for another day.

The HR answer to how you divide hours is: if they have equal availability they get equal hours. The schedule is not a tool for talent management. Certain people will want less than others and have differing availabilities, and that's fine to schedule around. But the legality portion of it all says keep it even so we don't get sued.
As for tips; if they fight with me over taking it or just throw it, it either goes to the next guest or in the register.

The HR answer to how you divide hours is: if they have equal availability they get equal hours. The schedule is not a tool for talent management. Certain people will want less than others and have differing availabilities, and that's fine to schedule around. But the legality portion of it all says keep it even so we don't get sued.
As for tips; if they fight with me over taking it or just throw it, it either goes to the next guest or in the register.
Frustrating about dividing hours evenly is that we have a very small pool of hours to work with. Its either give it to the TM that can get the job done or give it to those that can't. And I rather give it to the TMs that can get the job done. Said TM I don't want to waste hours on constantly calls out, wants to leave early, doesn't get a long with the whole team, and quite honestly doesn't perform well even after 5 months. Had to sit said TM about her performance numerous times. Now, I'm just documenting everything and giving her coaching. In hopes to perform her out. Strange thing is, she complains about not having money for food, rent, and child supports. But again constantly calls out or tries to leave early. So like I said, hours are precious and would rather give it to those that is willing to show up and work. Do I still give out hours evenly?

Again, the HR answer is yes you do give it out evenly. Especially right now, the difference between 10 hours and 15 is much more drastic than between 35 and 40. If you've sat them that much they should be on their way out the door, keep up on the documentation. Every store I've been in will have a minimum hours for team leads, food assistants, and for Starbucks ASTs, so you could always promote your top performer to get them more hours.

Back