Starbucks Team Leaders

My ETL asked if I thought we could make do with having only 2 people at Starbucks throughout Black Thursday/Friday. Even being completely new to Starbucks I had to try to not laugh in her face. I told her more realistically we need 2 people to come in 2 hours before we open to prep and then have a third person come in 15 minutes before open. And the. I will be there to cover breaks, make samples, get more supplies etc.

We have 3 "veteran" tms, 2 brand new tms, myself, one who's trained but normally works pharmacy, and the Plano TL who's also trained.

I opened every Black Thur/Fri with my TL when I was at SB.
We'd get there early to mix mochas & pull extra pastries.
I'd grind extra baskets of each blend (the pour over stand holds two nicely).
We kept a shopping cart in the back with extra Christmas tumblers, Advent calendars, impulse buys, etc.
Our third barista would get there 30 min after opening as the first herd was checking out.
Then they'd come over & camp out at the cafe while plotting their next hit shop stop.

I opened every Black Thur/Fri with my TL when I was at SB.
We'd get there early to mix mochas & pull extra pastries.
I'd grind extra baskets of each blend (the pour over stand holds two nicely).
We kept a shopping cart in the back with extra Christmas tumblers, Advent calendars, impulse buys, etc.
Our third barista would get there 30 min after opening as the first herd was checking out.
Then they'd come over & camp out at the cafe while plotting their next hit shop stop.

It's this kind of instinctual knowledge that I'm lacking that's got me worried about Black Friday.

Thankfully my trainer has given me a huge list of things to keep in mind. And then this forum has really been a godsend.

It's this kind of instinctual knowledge that I'm lacking that's got me worried about Black Friday.
I suggest closing Wednesday and getting your area set up. Make sure it's well stocked(Don't want to spend your time when you come in stocking syrups, cups, and sleeves), pull the two day pastries, I'm bring out new steaming pitchers and blenders, make sure you have milk stocked.

Make up at least two mochas, prep extra bottles of syrup dated with pumps.
We have our frapp syrups two deep dated with pumps put on.
We have two extra whip canisters we pull out & put into play.
If you have room in your back, fill a shopping cart with extras to replenish your merch & mugs, put an extra box of sleeves on the bottom rack of the cart.

Prep as many things as much as you can. I go so far as to put the whip cream chargers in the charger holder next to a pre-dated whip cream (without any whipping cream or vanilla in it yet, obviously). Put pumps in tons of syrups that you know you'll go through - frap bases, vanilla, chestnut praline, caramel brulee. Like redeye said, make a couple mochas. Be prepared to go through more than one skinny mocha as well (even though my store can go a week without using skinny mocha in the summer, there are a couple days in Nov/Dec that we go through more than one). Keep an extra pumpkin spice and white mocha close. Maybe grab an extra little plexi to hold some grande/venti hot lids because they'll go FAST. Get an extra frap roast ready.

Basically, anything that you go through at a decent pace on a normal day: get ready to run out of it.

This Black Friday schedule is crazy. The store is going to have no choice but to approve OT for us. Good thing my ETL just told me to do it and she'll take the heat lol

I wish we could get overtime, but we have so many people that there's no way it could get approved.

Our store is too insanely busy for us not to have approved OT.

This Black Friday schedule is crazy. The store is going to have no choice but to approve OT for us. Good thing my ETL just told me to do it and she'll take the heat lol
Any hours worked on Thanksgiving don't count towards overtime. You can work up to 40 hours for the other 6 days, plus however much you want on Thanksgiving. This goes for any holiday where you get holiday pay. One time I worked 54 hours in a week without getting OT - 40 hours, plus 14 hours on Memorial Day. I'm working 50.50 hours for the week of Thanksgiving this year. All of my Thanksgiving openers for Starbucks and Food Ave are also working on Black Friday, some of whom are working more than 40 hours.

Any hours worked on Thanksgiving don't count towards overtime. You can work up to 40 hours for the other 6 days, plus however much you want on Thanksgiving. This goes for any holiday where you get holiday pay. One time I worked 54 hours in a week without getting OT - 40 hours, plus 14 hours on Memorial Day. I'm working 50.50 hours for the week of Thanksgiving this year. All of my Thanksgiving openers for Starbucks and Food Ave are also working on Black Friday, some of whom are working more than 40 hours.
Regardless they still have to approve OT for me because everyone is basically maxed out and I still needed to schedule people for Saturday :/

Regardless they still have to approve OT for me because everyone is basically maxed out and I still needed to schedule people for Saturday :/
How much are you overspending on payroll? We still get the same amount of hours as a normal week (though I'm spending about 10% more). I actually had to give some of my team some cashier shifts just to get them to a 5th shift that week. Then again, this is the first time in 6 months that I've been fully staffed.

I went over 25 plus FATL is very understaffed(only has 6 people) so I gave him a TM.

One year I was on 8 hrs opening Thanksgiving, off 8 hrs, back on for a Fri mid 8 hrs, off for 9.5 hrs then back on for a Sat opening for 10 hrs.
I ended with 46 for the week.
Sounds about right. This will be my 4th consecutive year of opening Thanksgiving and closing Black Friday. But this will probably be the first where I have Saturday off.

Back