Starbucks Team Leaders

Hey all, I was looking for some advice.. I am new to being tl and having a hard time with the coaching convos as I sent from tm to tl in the same store. My food ave is full of drama and tm's who all think they do everything and others nothing when they aren't completing their tasks and my Starbucks team doesn't take anything seriously. I have no idea how to address everything because so much needs to be addressed and much of it is critical. Any advice?

Hey all, I was looking for some advice.. I am new to being tl and having a hard time with the coaching convos as I sent from tm to tl in the same store. My food ave is full of drama and tm's who all think they do everything and others nothing when they aren't completing their tasks and my Starbucks team doesn't take anything seriously. I have no idea how to address everything because so much needs to be addressed and much of it is critical. Any advice?
What is exactly going on so we can better give you advice.

They're really hard conversations to have. My first piece of advice would be to lead by example. Be the hardest working person in your workcenter. That will help earn some respect and give some weight to your words.

Second would be to do what you're doing now - asking for help. More specifically, ask for help from the leaders in your store. Talk it through with them. Maybe even talk about how to talk to a specific team member. Depending on their personality, you might need to just give it to them straight and really short, get it over with. Some might push back and challenge what you're saying. Some won't give a shit. But hopefully your leaders will be able to help you. You will make mistakes. You will say the wrong thing sometimes. Following up with team members has always been an opportunity for me, but it gets easier. It'll take a lot of practice.

The hardest part? The idea that you might have to keep writing them up until they leave and you hire your own team and train them right from the start. My Starbucks was having a ton of turnover when I started. Then two more left for non-Target related reasons. Then two left as a direct result of my leadership (and my ETL). One even came in to shop one time, pointed at me (from a long distance, but a TM told me the store) and said, "He's the reason I left." But then I trained my own team. Had some ups and down. Then came the success. I had my team trained the way I wanted and we thrived.

I'm nervous about the prospect of potentially becoming the one to have coaching conversations too. it's looming on the horizon though. I'm still not sure it will ever even happen, but given that our TL now spends the majority of her time being trained out on the sales floor and chumming around with the LOD squad...

that's creating its own set of problems too because we haven't had any real concrete leadership from her in weeks. it kind of shows, too. daily/weekly/monthly tasks are getting neglected, we've been overrun by drain flies, and there's general dissension among the ranks. every day I come in to like five more new notes taped up on everything from the POS to the Mastrena with loving little reminders like 'make sure we're pulling enough pastries!' 'make sure we're keeping the ice bin full because it's summer and everyone wants cold drinks!' 'sharpies DO NOT leave Starbucks!' it's like being in college with passive aggressive roommates again. and this is all stuff we ALL already know anyway!

the latest drama is a barista who is basically chaining herself to the Mastrena and watchdogging the shot times. she literally told everyone not to touch it while she was gone on vacation because she didn't want it to get too far off again because 'no one else fixes it.' right, let's ignore the fact that it goes out of calibration multiple times throughout the day and should be something we have a constant eye on, and that everyone I know does in fact adjust for shot times when they notice it getting close to being out of range. I gently reminded her of this and she basically said that she was going to trust me to do it while she was gone because she knows I know how to do it, because I taught her how. you're going to trust me with it, huh? I'm flattered! lol...

so yeah. this is a team badly in need of actual leadership and accountability, and I'd love to take charge and do something about it, but I know I'd be out of place to do it right now and I'm nervous that I'll actually fail at it if it ever does become my job. my TL mentioned wanting to develop me, but if she's always on the sales floor and we never have a shift together, no clue how that's going to work!

and to top it off we haven't gotten an order in about two weeks. our regular order didn't come in, the emergency order my TL placed hasn't shown up... it's a wonder we have enough product to make ANY drinks at all. we've borrowed some, but if we borrowed any more, we'd probably end up owing our entire order to another store. if it ever came in.

Honestly the only way you're going to be able to get comfortable having performance conversations with your team is by getting out there and doing it. Set clear expectations for everyone and when you do, model them. No one likes a phony or a leader that just barks orders and can't live up to them themselves. You're most likely dealing with what most of us go through when we are promoted from within, TMs that are adjusting with you becoming their boss overnight so to speak. If you work with them and show them what you want them to do/execute on a daily basis, they will follow. The ones that constantly butt heads with you and don't follow the expectations you set, well those you will have to start coaching/writing them up because they will bring down the morale of the team and you won't have a team that's on the same page. I inherited a team that while they were good getting most things done, they were very negative and rude, made excuses for everything and placed blame on others. I started holding them accountable and the bad apples quit and those that stayed improved for the most part. I only termed one of the TMs that was part of the old TL's team for conduct/performance issues. Other than that I hired a new team and trained them the way I wanted them trained and the rest followed. If you stick to your guns, it will get better I promise.

Last edited:
As others have said, you have to lead by example & hold them accountable.
If you have to have a performance convo, BE SPECIFIC in your examples of what you find lacking; that lets them know you're watching.
When doing tasks & there's multiple baristas standing around, I'd call on them by name for tasks as I was doing my own: "Charlie, let's get the pastries pulled for tomorrow & add extra XXX. Penelope, I need you to restock cups before the after school mama rush hits. Clara, let's get a quick wipe-down on the tables before the LOD comes over to tell us the SAME THING. Sam, help me pull down another case of whole bean so we can fill the shelves."
I don't ask; I let them know what needs doing.

Well said CoquiAzil, Redeye, and Xanatos. I cannot overstate the importance of setting the example you want your team to follow. The first time you skip a step, or make an excuse, you lose credibility with your team, and your forward progress stops. Also, make sure you are being fair and consistent with your team. Be diligent about follow up, and make sure there aren't any gaps in training.

What I did was I had a team meeting and went over expectations/questions with my team and allowed them to express their concerns and give feedback and suggestions on what we can all do to improve our processes and routines. It works wonders when you get them all involved in the decision making.

I'm nervous about the prospect of potentially becoming the one to have coaching conversations too. it's looming on the horizon though. I'm still not sure it will ever even happen, but given that our TL now spends the majority of her time being trained out on the sales floor and chumming around with the LOD squad...
Coaching can be uncomfortable. That is why clear expectations are so important--either something is being done or it isn't.
So, other baristas are leaving the notes, or the TL?
Is anyone ordering?
You are definitely in a tough spot, but you can still pull the team together. I don't think anyone really wants to work in a disorganized, bug ridden mess. Are there a couple of others who would join you in an effort to get your store back up to snuff? Point out some of the problems to your TL, and ask her what you can do to help--perhaps this will inspire her to follow through and start working with you on your development.
Also, I would take the opportunity to make sure all of the baristas know how and why to calibrate the Mastrena while Espresso girl is on vacay.
PS Sharpies are like socks in the dryer. There is an island somewhere with all the missing sharpies on it.

@radiochu Aren't you AST-certified? If so you technically are the "assistant manager" so to speak. You can and should be involved in "coaching" and developing the team. Don't be afraid to pull out manuals and show them to the team members. You'd be surprised how many aren't aware of what should be basic knowledge taught during their first week of training. Give them a "refreshment" of core responsibilities.

you guys are completely right, of course. if I ever want to actually be in charge, I have to stop being so hesitant about actually taking charge. I've been ruined by being a GSA, I'm so afraid of overstepping my boundaries that I find it hard to actually lead. ugh!

I took my first step though. I got so sick of all the aforementioned passive aggressive notes that I tore them all down and wrote a very polite diatribe on the whiteboard in back asking that rather than writing notes, baristas come to either our TL or our two ASTs with concerns and let us handle it. we'll see if it helps any, but I think a huge first step towards regaining an accountable, effective team is to... you know... let LEADERSHIP do the leading. I guess the next step is to actually enforce this and figure out how to handle correcting behaviors. and to stop cutting any corners myself (not that I cut that many, but you know, lead by example and all that... haha).

OK, did I somehow miss communication about the affogato frapps starting today? My DM is on vacay.

Yeah, except Starbucks.
Apparently Co. Stores are starting today, so that means I am :).

I don't even know why this is suddenly a promotion. I'm always making affogato style frappuccinos for guests at my store.

Me too. Kind of funny. I guess I'll chalk it now. Easy way to add to the price.

I assumed that it was an old thing from before my time in sbux, but they are saying that it's new.

In the four years that I've been with Starbucks we have always done it and called it affogato style. I'm sure it's from past offerings.

I told my team to stop making the chocolate whip immediately, but that we have the ingredients all year so we can still sell it forever. Just ring it in as one of the promotional fraps when the button goes away.

It has been selling less than the other promotional ones at my store. Today, a lady asked if it had coffee in it because when she had it last week, it was so sweet and she couldn't taste coffee. I explained that it had 3x the syrup of most frapps. She ordered a CWCF. I can't imagine she fared much better.

Back