Starbucks Team Leaders

Wasn't there a communication around April that lower volume Starbucks store would see an increase in their hours? Have you guys noticed a difference?

I don't understand why they wouldn't let you guys keep them. My store doesn't touch mine and they've tried in the past.

Because logistics has to have a certain amount of hours to keep the store from completely falling apart, which leaves no hours for the sales floor (myTime gave 0 hours to softlines for the week we just posted. Yes. ZERO HOURS). So the execs need to cut from anywhere they can to keep their precious sales floor looking green.

I get that softlines can't run on 0 hours. But every single shirt doesn't need to be perfect at the end of every day. Having a yellow zone is going to be more profitable than a green zone, which is why Target deliberately doesn't give the sales floor enough hours to be perfect. It's a waste of payroll.

Yeah and their first thought to cut are always the specialty work centers.

Because logistics has to have a certain amount of hours to keep the store from completely falling apart, which leaves no hours for the sales floor (myTime gave 0 hours to softlines for the week we just posted. Yes. ZERO HOURS). So the execs need to cut from anywhere they can to keep their precious sales floor looking green.

I get that softlines can't run on 0 hours. But every single shirt doesn't need to be perfect at the end of every day. Having a yellow zone is going to be more profitable than a green zone, which is why Target deliberately doesn't give the sales floor enough hours to be perfect. It's a waste of payroll.
Omg!

My hours went up. My new HR is in charge of allocating hours, and makes sure I get what I'm supposed to get. Not that its a ton, of course, but it has made my life much easier.

Playbook is not practical in single coverage. How many hours are you supposed to get? What volume store? I'm pretty low vol, but I get some double coverage every day.

I have slight double coverage on weekends. Allocated hours are 168 only allowed to use 150 or so must weeks. We just got bumped to VOL 1 this week. So we will be getting a second mastrena and blender. But that wont help when there are no hours to use that extra equipment. "One up one down" thats the only way we get through.

I have slight double coverage on weekends. Allocated hours are 168 only allowed to use 150 or so must weeks. We just got bumped to VOL 1 this week. So we will be getting a second mastrena and blender. But that wont help when there are no hours to use that extra equipment. "One up one down" thats the only way we get through.
Volume 1 should be getting like 300-400 hours. 168 is likely volume 3.

With 150 hours, I have double coverage every day. M- Th 730 - 4, 1 - 630, 4 - 930; F- Sun 730 - 4, 1030 - 7, 4 -930. If you are volume 1, you are in trouble with 150 hours.

Who covers the opener's breaks M-Th? I've never had the ability to do that, even when I started and had 120-125 hours. We all just waited until the next person came in, even if it was 5 hours into a 5.5 hour shift. But with the 138 hours that I get now, I can do 730-2, 1030-630, 430-930 most weekdays. We're also responsible for covering all Food Ave breaks (usually 2 breaks, but sometimes 2 breaks and a lunch).

My hr was a barista, and all GSAs and the GSTL are able to cover breaks. I also have 2 SL/FRO who work sbux 2 or 3 days, and 2 cashiers who work 2 or 3 shifts as well. It would be a rare day that there weren't someone available to cover.

I'm starting to work on getting that type of support. My current STL came to my store last December and wanted to start cross training people back in January. But there wasn't really a single person in the store who 1) had good availability, 2) was good but not so good that they couldn't be spared from their workcenter, 3) wanted to do it, and 4) had decent attendance. But even if there were 10 people who fit those criteria, we didn't have the payroll for it. And I wasn't sold on the idea because I had thrived for almost 3 years without doing that. I wasn't going to waste my payroll on someone who was just going to cover a break or two per week and forget everything in between shifts.

But now I have permission from the ETL-GE/SF to basically poach whoever the hell I want from anyone in the front end or the sales floor and cross train them, with the plan of having them work 1-2 shifts per week so they don't forget too much. All because she had to cover Food Ave for AN HOUR and she freaked the hell out. But if I can pick and choose whoever I want, I'm willing to dedicate like 8 hours of payroll per week to cross train a quarter of the damn store, starting with the exceptional sales floor TMs and GSAs/GSTLs. My team is solid enough that we can spare the payroll. And then I wouldn't have to come in for a 15 minute shift like I did one time. Or maybe twice, I can't remember.

Yup. If I want someone, I get him! At the beginning of the year, we had a total turn at the front end, and it was made clear to prospective GSAs that Starbucks was part of the job. I'm happy to train them for a long time. We will add a couple of hours to the beginning or end of front end shifts for a few weeks. That seems to work pretty well.
I really like to have people who work sbux and another area. It allows for flexibility between the two areas, and there is always backup available.
Also, my HR is happy to key people as Starbucks even if they aren't working more than half of their shifts in Starbucks. So, I have a couple of baristas who may work more in their other areas, but don't feel cheated when I schedule them as baristas. I'm no math whiz, but I'm pretty sure that lower volume tarbucks can't really follow both sbux and target rules for scheduling. 135 hours divided among 8 people who must each work at least half of their shifts in Starbucks. . . .

Why should you have to poach anyone?
It only makes sense that every ETL and TL that can cover should be trained as a barista.
Screw them for protesting, if they want to be part of the team that mean the entire team including Starbucks.

Back