Starbucks Team Leaders

I'm off today and freaking out BC my DM sent me a text saying she stopped in to check my promo and has some compliance/standard concerns and would be emailing me the documentation tonight. I have no idea what it could be and I'm so worried we're in trouble.

My guess would be someone out of uniform behind bar, or closed for a break. Once they see something wrong, they will start to dig. Make a plan quickly about what you will do to resolve the situation. I don't think they want to put us on compliance if they don't have to.

Do Starbucks TLs have to go through additional coffee knowledge training? Because the TL at my old store seemed very confused when I tried to start a dialog about the different preparations of coffee (washed, semi-washed, etc.). I know that's more knowledge than the average barista knows, but I'd expect someone like a TL to know some of that basic-advance knowledge.

Do Starbucks TLs have to go through additional coffee knowledge training? Because the TL at my old store seemed very confused when I tried to start a dialog about the different preparations of coffee (washed, semi-washed, etc.).
We're supposed to know that in the same sense that the cashiers should push the additional assistance button the instant the lines get past 1+1 or how the sales floor zone should be green at all times. Should we know it? Absolutely. Is it worth our time to know it? Nope.

We're supposed to know that in the same sense that the cashiers should push the additional assistance button the instant the lines get past 1+1 or how the sales floor zone should be green at all times. Should we know it? Absolutely. Is it worth our time to know it? Nope.
That seems to be the biggest difference between "corporate" and "licensed" where corporate SMs push hard to learn all that stuff, it's the only way to move up from basic barista. But I might just be a bigger coffee snob than I think. lol.

That seems to be the biggest difference between "corporate" and "licensed" where corporate SMs push hard to learn all that stuff, it's the only way to move up from basic barista. But I might just be a bigger coffee snob than I think. lol.
I took the time to learn it. One of my baristas is also getting coffee master certified next week, the first ever in my district and region so that's exciting :)

I would love to become a coffee master. we've had the aprons since we opened and apparently we just got some journals in, but I didn't think licensed stores could actually do that program. I love delving into coffee knowledge though. whoever's on shift with me when we get a new featured blend in WILL be subjected to a coffee tasting, full-on pretentious sniffing and slurping included :p if I weren't possibly getting a Big Girl Job soon, I would be tempted to ask my DM if she'd help me get started...

I took the time to learn it. One of my baristas is also getting coffee master certified next week, the first ever in my district and region so that's exciting :)
That's amazing. Congratulations!
I would love to become a coffee master. we've had the aprons since we opened and apparently we just got some journals in, but I didn't think licensed stores could actually do that program. I love delving into coffee knowledge though. whoever's on shift with me when we get a new featured blend in WILL be subjected to a coffee tasting, full-on pretentious sniffing and slurping included :p if I weren't possibly getting a Big Girl Job soon, I would be tempted to ask my DM if she'd help me get started...
I love doing coffee tasting and trying to find the perfect pairings.
One day I will become a coffee master. :rolleyes: I just gotta finish my passport first. :eek:

So the Molten Trio Drinks, someone please explain what it is and how to make it :O

They are gross. They will put the recipe cards online again I'm sure. Melted java chips in hot chocolate and mocha. We didn't make very many.

How do you melt them? too them in to the cup and let the espresso and melt them as it pours in? And the steam milk continue the melting?

A lot like chocolate sand, slurry in the bottom of the cup.
Couldn't get past two sips.
Blecch.
Maybe substitute the choc curls instead.

Maybe substitute the choc curls instead.
we did this for a while last year when we ran out of frap chips. works great in any kind of beverage that needs chips, and really helped us run through our stock of leftover curls. we just doubled the amount any recipe called for to make up for the fact that curls have less volume of product.

we're a medium to low volume target but we used to have a lot of traffic because there weren't any starbucks close by. they opened one just down the road and it dropped our traffic in at least half.

starbucks has been red since i've been at this store outside a few times. we got out of noncompliance only a few months ago and our dm really isn't happy with our store.

as gstl, i've helped out a lot bringing it back to compliance and learned a lot about starbucks brand mainly because they pull my gsa/cashiers to help out. my workcenter suffered supporting them. so the more i do as gstl, the more i get my team to work in my workcenter. i've resisted learning how to be certified so they wouldn't say make me take shifts over there as back up.

they've offered me starbucks tl. listing a pro/cons i know my organization/ordering skills/people management, i can make sure we are well stocked, well trained. i'm just worried i'd leave an area i'm good at and take a position i hate with a shitty boss.

Wouldn't you have the same boss? Sounds like your store needs some consistency in Starbucks. I know I am partial, but I really enjoy working over there. It can be difficult to get support from the Target side, depending on your store, but I like the independence. You basically run your own business. I will say, I have never worked front end. @Xanatos and @redeye58 have both worked front end and Starbucks, and can give you a good idea of what is different.

Back