Starbucks Team Leaders

I was a GSA for 2 years. The REDcard pressure was insane. That alone is why Starbucks TL is better than GSTL.

But really, it's what Yetive said. It's the independence. It's the fact that you get to run the show. You get to do a little bit of everything. Flow (breaking down, pushing the pallet), signing/POG (setting a new Siren's Eye (Starbucks term for a POG)), backroom (take care of backstock), sales floor (zone, the very very rare reshop item, and CAFS/reshop (restocking)), PMT (I try to fix my own stuff, when it's reasonable), cashier, GSTL/service desk (we do our own returns, and no one else really knows Starbucks so we're the ones taking care of a lot of the stuff that GSTLs would do for cashiers). Oh, and we make drinks.

The best part is the end result that you aren't relying on other people's success nearly as much as most other areas. Even a cashier relies on the flow team to push the product, the backroom team to backstock correctly so the counts are right, the non-existent instocks team to make sure the on hands are right, the POG team to set things right and do any revisions on time, price change for getting their changes done, sales floor for zoning correctly so things are in the right spot and reshop is taken care of, etc. However, I do pretty much everything. Specifically, the ordering. As long as I order things accurately, make drinks quickly and accurately, and keep a smile on my face - guests can't really get mad at me for anything.

I will say that it was rough at first. It took me a couple months to get the hang of it to where I felt comfortable. But once I got it down, it quickly became my favorite workcenter.

So I accidentally ordered 2 cases of the Mulling Spice (meant to scan something else but didn't realize I order it). It never really sold well during the holidays. And now that it is off the menu, I don't expect to sell it at all. Can I just QMOS it out or should I just sit on it until it all expires?

@monkeyman90: Pretty much what Xanatos has pointed out.
From my own perspective after 8 yrs in the front end, Starbucks was a breath of fresh air.
Smaller team helped me learn who the strong/weak links were & how to balance them out work-wise; working under two different bosses could be crazy when they're not on the same page; we also cross-trained a lot with Food Ave folks which made a huge difference in coverage for call-outs & when hours were down.
Our green surveys carried the front end for years until they stopped doing them but it showed the impact we have.
I have a greater sense of satisfaction & accomplishment with SB than I ever had in the front end.

@Asuras: You could park it on a shelf but if you need the room, I'd QMOS.

@Asuras, if it scans, you could try putting it on a shelf out in the lobby.
My store is old, I don't have a shelf >.< I am in a Super Target and have a wedge/corner next to the Deli cooler. It is even worth the space even out on the sales floor?

I did it last year with some syrup that we over ordered. Sold about half of it. Do you have floor baskets? You could see if there is room on a market endcap.

that's interesting. I honestly can't remember what was a part of Winter 2 and what was in Winter 1, and I'm not sure there was anything my store was going to get anyway. so that's not so bad. I like the sound of more lead time on promos and changes. I think that is a HUGE improvement if they actually stick with that - no more learning recipes the day after a drink was supposed to launch because a guest asked for it, I'm game.

now if only we could convince Target that their 'success' is due to TMs and get them to focus a bit more on us.

So I accidentally ordered 2 cases of the Mulling Spice (meant to scan something else but didn't realize I order it). It never really sold well during the holidays. And now that it is off the menu, I don't expect to sell it at all. Can I just QMOS it out or should I just sit on it until it all expires?
You could also chalk a sign for mulled spice apple cider. It's been popular around here with TMs. Make it like caramel apple but with Mulling Spice instead of Cinnamon Dolce.

Yup. I love being able to have a smaller, dedicated team. Set high expectations and hold them accountable. In my experience, Starbucks moves DMs around fairly frequently, so you won't necessarily have this one for long. Remember that if your DM is hard on the store, it's because it's his job to protect the sbux brand.

After being a gstl for 6 years Starbucks was definitely a breath of fresh air. I love having 10 tms vs 70 and having time to connect, inspire, and take care of them. It's hard to do when you have so many people. It's also nice being the only one in charge and my ETL just leaves me alone and let's me do my own thing. It has its own set of challenges like any job and you have to weigh the pros and cons but I haven't been this happy at work in a really long time.

My plan is to become the SBTL.
aaf_shifty.gif

Keep this under your hat...

But you said something about going to hardlines in the chat box!
Ah! Saw what you said about 5 weeks.
Nvrmd

Last edited:
That was while the rebuilding was going on.

I'm already taking barista courses online.

I will rock this shit. I was a bartender for many years...

Not on a hot cup! I don't think I have ever made a blended lemonade of any kind, now that I think about it.

Back