Starbucks Team Leaders

My Starbucks just opened yesterday and I've got to say things were a little rough. The team is having problems getting into routines and remembering steps for all the different processes. I came into today to dirty dishes, experied beans out, no one pulled pasties, the list continues.

On top of that today my STL finally clarified the ae situation and explained I would be owning open market as well as bux, and the other Food TL would own dry grocery. Something I'm not fond of at all because my passion lies in coffee and Starbucks and my team needs the support.

Any advice for new stores??

Until they have closing routine down, try to schedule them later, maybe until 10 if possible. Explain that this wouldn't be permanent, but until everyone is proficient with closing routines. It took me a few solo closes to get it done on time. I still schedule new closers for later shifts the first few times. (At my store, closer is always solo). Dirty dishes invite bugs, and once they find a home, they are hard to get rid of.

The daily checklist doesn't really have everything on it. I made a closing checklist that includes things like pastries. It might be worth the time to do that. I also have a simplified closing list for the LOD--things that the untrained eye can still check up on. If there are dirty dishes, undated product, unclean surfaces or dirty sinks, anyone can see those things.

Adding food ave + sbux to my areas as food tl, just finished barista basics last week, but not quite done with my AST stuff. I'm meeting the DM for the first time tomorrow and haven't heard good things about him. I'm a little anxious about this since I don't quite have a firm grasp on everything yet. :confused:

The DMs know about all of the changes. I think they are as worried as anyone. I imagine there are many TLs in your position. Be honest and open to suggestions. My DM was candid with me about the situation in some of her other Targets. They need to protect the Starbucks brand, but at the same time, they don't want to just hand out NNCs to the stores. Reach out to Starbucks TLs from your district who have been in position for a while. They will probably have a good idea of what your DM is after.

My Starbucks just opened yesterday and I've got to say things were a little rough. The team is having problems getting into routines and remembering steps for all the different processes. I came into today to dirty dishes, experied beans out, no one pulled pasties, the list continues.
When I first started in SB my TL had task checklists for the opener & closer.
It outlined what needed to be done by when; ex: after morning rush (but before noon) opener needs to pull next day's sandwiches & pastries, make mochas for next day, pour cold brew pitchers & date them all accordingly.
The closer's list had timelines for the different areas of cleaning (pitchers, drip mats, shakers, ice scoops, blender cover, etc), when to toss/QMOS pastries & sandwiches, set-up tea pitchers for next day, fill the cooler & impulse snacks, etc.
It was only until the baristas got the routine down & it also served as a refresher for students coming back during break.

When I first started in SB my TL had task checklists for the opener & closer.
It outlined what needed to be done by when; ex: after morning rush (but before noon) opener needs to pull next day's sandwiches & pastries, make mochas for next day, pour cold brew pitchers & date them all accordingly.
The closer's list had timelines for the different areas of cleaning (pitchers, drip mats, shakers, ice scoops, blender cover, etc), when to toss/QMOS pastries & sandwiches, set-up tea pitchers for next day, fill the cooler & impulse snacks, etc.
It was only until the baristas got the routine down & it also served as a refresher for students coming back during break.
Glad to hear another team leading doing that. I pretty much wrote a timeline in which I want task done at what time. Helped my new team members out a lot. And ensure my team can run things while I am not there.

Does anyone remember what that memo was about blonde espresso a few weeks ago? I just got 8 cases of 1# bags autoshipped and I thought I remembered a memo saying not to use it.. either way we only have 1 espresso machine so I can't see why we would.

The memo said to brew it as the blonde roast but not until the first week of april. or second week.

Aren't we suppose to get the new Home-style Chicken and Bacon Sandwich for Tuesday? Haven't received any yet, or has it appeared on the order guide. The DCPI listed on the RPQ Sheet and the spring Addendum (separate numbers) are either unorderable or doesn't exist in our system.

Aren't we suppose to get the new Home-style Chicken and Bacon Sandwich for Tuesday? Haven't received any yet, or has it appeared on the order guide. The DCPI listed on the RPQ Sheet and the spring Addendum (separate numbers) are either unorderable or doesn't exist in our system.
i print out the guides every week, i'm not seeing a lot of the spring stuff. bagels, white tea, etc.. anyone has the dpci? anyone with success ordering them?

Hey guys, my store has been open a week and we have major problems already here. The problem lies in my etls, not my team.

On our new schedule they way under scheduled us. They scheduled 1 person from 3pm on during most days with no one else on the grid trained to break them. They scheduled openers at 9 am instead of 7 am to be ready for our 8 am open. I am just baffled.

I'm the Team Leader but have nothing to do with the schedule. My ETL hr does the schedule with some help from my ETL food. My hr is now gone for 2 weeks and same my ETL. I have no idea how to fix this and feel stupid I wasn't made aware of it sooner. Any advice?

Hey guys, my store has been open a week and we have major problems already here. The problem lies in my etls, not my team.

On our new schedule they way under scheduled us. They scheduled 1 person from 3pm on during most days with no one else on the grid trained to break them. They scheduled openers at 9 am instead of 7 am to be ready for our 8 am open. I am just baffled.

I'm the Team Leader but have nothing to do with the schedule. My ETL hr does the schedule with some help from my ETL food. My hr is now gone for 2 weeks and same my ETL. I have no idea how to fix this and feel stupid I wasn't made aware of it sooner. Any advice?
I would ask to take the schedule over. Its simple enough to do. TLs do the schedule in my store for everything but check lanes and GS.

You definitely should be writing your schedule. My time is terrible at Starbucks. How many hours do you get each week? We come in at 7:30, and unless your store is crazy busy right away, you should have plenty of time to get open. Remind your leaders that part of our contract with Starbucks is to always have at least 2 certified barista's in the building at all times. Closes seem to be harder to get break coverage, so I rarely schedule a long close.

What time do you guys typically make the next days mocha/chai and pull pastries and sandwiches?

We do chai in the morning because it's literally just opening the carton and takes a couple seconds. Mocha takes longer so we do it the night before. Pastries have to be pulled after 4pm the night before. Sandwiches have to be pulled before 2pm the day before.

We start mochas right after the first rush has died down.
Same with pulling pastries & sandwiches; chai & frap roast are usually prepped once the closer arrives & before the mid leaves.
Mid-day is deep stocking: hot tea boxes, syrups, refresher/frapp/smoothie additives, juices, milks, etc.

Any ideas on how to drive coffee sales?
I'm pretty average for my district but I'd really like to bump my sales up.
Unfortunately most of my baristas don't even like coffee so even getting them to do a coffee tasting is really hard.

Do you have 6 floor baskets? If not, get them. We do very well with bagged coffee. Always have 3 baskets with coffee. Always sign them too. We do the baristas choice for one of them, and change it out every so often. Pike in one, and usually dark in one.

Any ideas on how to drive coffee sales?
I'm pretty average for my district but I'd really like to bump my sales up.
Unfortunately most of my baristas don't even like coffee so even getting them to do a coffee tasting is really hard.

Get some baristas who love coffee?
Seriously, getting some people who genuinely care about the quality of the drinks they serve and who can talk about the product with enthusiasm will double your sales.

Get some baristas who love coffee?
Seriously, getting some people who genuinely care about the quality of the drinks they serve and who can talk about the product with enthusiasm will double your sales.
Obviously that would be ideal but I have no hours to hire someone and they're all great besides not liking coffee.
I have the coffee floor baskets and feel like we do good with mixing things up and placement.. I guess I'm more looking for ideas outside the box on active ways to drive sales.
We've increased our food sales by 5% last year by activing sampling and suggesting but it's not working for coffee.

Back