Archived STL Watching TMs Via Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaitii

yeah
So apparently my STL has been checking the cameras a lot lately in order to catch loafers. What are your thoughts on this? Honestly I think it's...a little weird to just be constantly watched like that. And I don't even know what she counts as "loafing." She's really chatty and talks up TLs ans ETLs all the time for a couple minutes so I s2g if that's all it takes to get written up (I was told a couple were already written up about it) I'm gonna be pissed off because it feels like she's placed a "No Fun at Work" sign.

I'm leaving for 2 weeks tomorrow so hopefully she would have given up by then lol

Also does anyone know where it says an STL can't coach for non safety via camera and all that just in case

Also does anyone know where it says an STL can't coach for non safety via camera and all that just in case

I don't know the exact policy but I remember an incident with my old store's ETL-AP way back (like 2 years ago) using the cameras to catch employees doing things like texting or loafing and I actually witnessed him being told to knock it off by the STL. And then later heard from a GSTL that they cannot coach for things like that just seeing them on the camera. So it's definitely a policy.

My ETLHR said that they can't do it because it makes it an uncomfortable work environment....that's not to say they can't look at you on camera then find you in the floor in person doing it.

yeah they cant coach from camera, but if they see you doing it they can just as easily say that they saw you or someone said they saw you. so unless you can prove they saw you on camera only its kind of a hard thing to argue.

Why defend loafers?

At first they came for the loafers and I did not defend them because I was not a loafer.

Then they came for the people not working at "optimal speed" and I did not defend them because I worked at "optimal speed".

Then they came for me and there was nobody to defend me.

I mean, I know that's over-dramatic, but it's a slippery slope. First it starts as "oh we're just catching the loafers" and then it moves to other things, and soon you basically have someone watching you on camera every second to watch for even the slightest slip-up.

I hope my STL/ETL's are watching me on camera. That will only help with my annual "raise."

Why defend loafers?
I wouldn't call myself a loafer by any stretch of the imagination. I get more work done than most of my fellow hardline team members. I love ass. But I also take time in between pushing the 7th cart of reshop that the closer last night was too lame to push to maybe chat coe a few minutes with a coworker, get to know people a bit. Networking for a job is important after all, and I feel on a basic level, it can't hurt to know how you're working with, after all, aren't we a team?

And yet, if someone was watching on camera, I can absolutely see me getting coached for a five minute conversation or a 30 second Pokemon Go break, while all the hard work I did around that moment gets ignored.

Defend the loafers, because anyone bored enough to look at security tapes
will be more than happy to find reasons to mark you for slacking off, regardless of how hard you work.

galleryimage-1027763761-jan-7-2015-1-600x400.jpg

I thought only AP was allowed to access the cameras. And doesn't the STL have more important things to do anyways? Like actually respond to TMs that need help?

Regardless, re: coaching from cameras...

Technically, leadership isn't supposed to coach TMs for behavior spotted on camera (unless it's something illegal, which is another story) unless they've witnessed said behavior themselves.

Scenario: Bob from AP is watching the cameras and sees sales floor TM Lisa texting when she should be zoning, so he tells TL Felicia. Felicia can't coach Lisa for texting based solely off the fact that Bob saw her on camera; however, since Bob has tipped off Felicia, she now knows that she needs to keep an eye on Lisa. When she catches Lisa texting, a coaching is now appropriate.

Maybe a dick move by Bob when he should be watching for theft and the like, but it's within the rules.

I'm glad my STL is such a hands on guy. I feel like there is too much to do to just micro manage everyone from a camera.

ETL-log and STL both do that I know of. Was told by TL that they especially do it when we get a new TM but occasionally do it just to check up on things in the BR when there is no TL available and they don't feel like walking back to check on things. Shady

I'm convinced my old ETL watched us on her closing nights. We wouldn't see her for hours, but any time someone went to a different area, pulled out their phone, talked to another TM for (maybe) a little too long, or did something that could look like they weren't working, she'd call that person out specifically and ask where they were or what they were working on.

No one was sad when we found out she was leaving.

Interfering with AP's job to use the cameras to catch shoplifters Pretty sure the DTL isn't going to be happy if they find out about this.

STLs have no log in access to camera workstations. Technically nobody can coach off cameras with the exception of AP for safety issues. Now this doesn't stop the ETL AP from seeing someone doing something, going out to the floor and catching the person in the act.

If you ever get written documentation that mentions seen on cameras doing something I would call the hotline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back