Store Paygrades

Shocked to find that Food Ave is higher than Cashier, especially Service Desk - I definitely find working at food ave to be less stressful/difficult than when I work food ave.
Paygrades aren't based on "stress" levels. Cashiers don't have to procure a food handler's license & training in FA def takes more than just a few hrs. And I'm sure you've never been in FA during a Steritech visit.

FA requiring a food handler's license seems beyond silly to me though. I've worked in three restaurants, and never needed to have such a license at any of them despite handling food regularly at all three.

You can always tell the restaurants that don't have trained and licensed employees,
Just watch a few of those Restaurant Nightmare shows and you'll see the difference.

I worked restaurants for almost twenty years and you can walk into to the kitchen stand in the middle, do a turn and know which ones have trained and licensed crews.

Dunno, two of the three I worked at were "fast food" or similar: Wendys and Quiznos, but the third was Buffalo Wings & Rings, which also didn't require any licensing, but was a much more respectable restaurant, and served a larger variety of "Real food" (it's sort of like Buffalo Wild Wings, much smaller chain though, and better food quality, they don't freeze any meat, it's always fresh)

Shocked to find that Food Ave is higher than Cashier, especially Service Desk - I definitely find working at food ave to be less stressful/difficult than when I work food ave.
Paygrades aren't based on "stress" levels. Cashiers don't have to procure a food handler's license & training in FA def takes more than just a few hrs. And I'm sure you've never been in FA during a Steritech visit.

FA requiring a food handler's license seems beyond silly to me though. I've worked in three restaurants, and never needed to have such a license at any of them despite handling food regularly at all three.

There are a lot of cultural differences across States/counties/cities. From very lax regulation (Texas) to very strict (NY).

I work guest service currently, but was asked today by the Price Accuracy TL if I was open to the idea of being trained in PA. How would this affect pay? Would I make different wages each day depending on what I was doing, or would all my shifts be at PA paygrade as opposed to cashier?

If your TLs/ETL let you transfer your primary work center to pricing, then you would receive the 25 cent raise for all shifts. If you are merely cross-trained there, picking up a shift or two a week, you will remain in your front end work center with the same pay.

They wanted to cross train me in Receiving on top of BR / Flow, the number they gave me was a 50 cent raise. From G7 to G9. I almost laughed.

I already know receiving having covered for the guy for a week once.

So at this point I would be trained in Receiving, Flow, BR, and Plano, as well as all the equipment that comes with the Backroom and I still wouldn't be over 10 / hr.

Its sad.

I am a Perishables Assistant and trained Sales Floor/Instocks/BR/Plano/Pricing/Cashiering, and this is before I even get to my actual job, of Food Safety/Pfresh ordering/Vendor wrangling. sub $11/hr

it is most certainly sad.

Anyone know what the jump from N07 to N11 is?

When I went from N07 to N11 I was given a $1.50 raise, but I also went from a non-metro to a metro store. Honestly I'm not sure if Target takes that into account (I know Wal-Mart does).

Anyone know what the jump from N07 to N11 is?

When I went from N07 to N11 I was given a $1.50 raise, but I also went from a non-metro to a metro store. Honestly I'm not sure if Target takes that into account (I know Wal-Mart does).

I believe they do! I was talking to an HRTM the other day and she mentioned metro-area pay a couple of times.

It's not exactly "secret", it's on workbench. That said, don't ask me where, I really don't remember :) But I remember seeing the paygrades on there somewhere...

With minimum wage increase if they come in at minimum wage than go to a area w/ the .50 bump they are making almost as much as me & I'm in a bump up

There are many reasons people can not get degrees. Most ETLs came from middle/upper class family and mommy and daddy took care of them on a 4 year vacation. The vast majority of ETLs at my store have never had a job before Target. And I mean never. Not even part time summer jobs. There is only way one such a person could get away with that - mommy and daddy footing the bill. Many TMs don't come from that kind of background.

Wow, is that seriously what people think of ETL's? What do people think of the ETL interns?
Asking out of curiosity because I am going to be one this summer and I did not come from a middle class family, I am paying my own way through school through working and student loans and I have been working since I was 16 from retail, restaurants, preschools, and now a building manager for my University. Mommy and daddy are not footing anything for me.....

I hope that didn't come off in a bad way or anything, I would just rather not have people jumping to that kind of conclusion about me when I start my internship or maybe afterwards get a position there.
Edit: I've been a lurker for a few months now and finally decided to make an account!

Last edited:
Wow, is that seriously what people think of ETL's? What do people think of the ETL interns?
Asking out of curiosity because I am going to be one this summer and I did not come from a middle class family, I am paying my own way through school through working and student loans and I have been working since I was 16 from retail, restaurants, preschools, and now a building manager for my University. Mommy and daddy are not footing anything for me.....

I hope that didn't come off in a bad way or anything, I would just rather not have people jumping to that kind of conclusion about me when I start my internship or maybe afterwards get a position there.
Edit: I've been a lurker for a few months now and finally decided to make an account!
A lot do come from a background where everything was paid for them. I have my degree but I worked my ass off to get it with little help from anyone financially. It's unfair to lump everyone in that same group. But I know ETLs that do come in with no job experience what so ever, short of the intern experience. It's hard for people that have been working for years to have someone come in that's never worked before and take their direction. Just human nature. I know I respect much more the ETLs that took the hard route so to speak and worked their own way (not someone paid for them) through college. Because they have actually gone through it all before and understand what they are asking of people.

Last edited:
Welcome to The Break Room @goldbond

It's not fair that ETLs get lumped together in the straight-out-of-college-have-no-experience stereotype but the problem is there are so many of them that it's easy to do.
I've found that once an ETL proves themselves not to be of that ilk (and it doesn't take long) the team are ready and willing to work with them

Back