Store Paygrades

So how much does someone in pay grade 5 make? I'm in food ave/pizzahut express I kind of feel like I am being underpaid because I close almost every night and have my food managers certificate and also didn't realize that I would be working by myself most of the time. I also have a 2 year certificate from boces (technical school) for Culinary Arts/ Restaurant management and am currently a student at a community college for Baking & Pastry arts. Anybody have an idea on what I should be getting payed? I work an average of 25-30 hours a week. This is my first REAL job as well ( I have catered parties, served food, made cakes, cleaned up, etc.) and was also on the Culinary team for my technical school.

It's going to depend on your store, but I believe that N05 is $0.25 above base pay.

It sounds to me like you are seriously under paid, however I suspect that what you are getting is pretty close to the best you are going to get out of Spot.
Aren't there any restaurants in the area looking for people?
I thought the tech schools helped find people jobs?
Hell, most restaurants would at least have tips, a chance of moving up, experience in your field, even if they were some corporate clown cookie cutter place.

Well I figured I would step into a real kitchen for my next job. This one is just a stepping stone as I don't see anywhere for me to move up to... One of my friends actually just got hired at foodave yesterday and will be making .25 more than me. That really is bothering me considering I have actual experience and she does not. But she is being hired as seasonal.. Could that be the reason she is being payed more?

ya, until legislation is passed to say employers can't hire the next waves of employees at a higher rate, employers will continue to get away with this

Shocked to find that Food Ave is higher than Cashier, especially Service Desk - I definitely find working at food ave to be less stressful/difficult than when I work food ave.

I had actually wondered if service desk was above cashier since I got a random unannounced $0.25 an hour raise around the time I became fully trained at the service desk and started working primarily at it as opposed to a checklane.

Might've been influenced by inflation or minimum wage, not sure, just know I realized on my check 3-4 checks ago that my hourly rate had unexpectedly increased.

Last edited:
At my store Food Ave does get very stressful. Especially when you are by yourself on a weekend or around lunch or dinner time. It's impossible to take care of guests, pan breadsticks, primos, get pizzas out of the oven, a grilled cheese out of the turbo, stop the pot sink from overfilling, washing dishes, and get more pizzas into the oven and in the hot hold at the same time. There's a lot that needs to be done at Foodave and with being so cut off from the rest of the store. We are usually forgotten about. I believe food service should be higher pay than cashiering although I'm not quite sure what goes on at service desk I can probably guess that that should be higher pay lol. But seriously, food ave is something else & most food service workers in other areas get payed an average of 10$. Not $8.75..

At my store Food Ave does get very stressful. Especially when you are by yourself on a weekend or around lunch or dinner time. It's impossible to take care of guests, pan breadsticks, primos, get pizzas out of the oven, a grilled cheese out of the turbo, stop the pot sink from overfilling, washing dishes, and get more pizzas into the oven and in the hot hold at the same time. There's a lot that needs to be done at Foodave and with being so cut off from the rest of the store. We are usually forgotten about. I believe food service should be higher pay than cashiering although I'm not quite sure what goes on at service desk I can probably guess that that should be higher pay lol. But seriously, food ave is something else & most food service workers in other areas get payed an average of 10$. Not $8.75..

I think Food Ave sounds about on par with Service Desk, both have a lot more tasks to juggle than cashier and often simply won't have enough time to do them all in the ideal order without generating a long line of angry guests. I very rarely work food ave, I started as a cashier, was trained service desk (which I prefer, less monotony, more actual problem solving involved), and then after that trained food ave, but predominantly only work food ave when someone calls in, or to cover their breaks/lunches.

As far as at the service desk if you're busy you don't have time to sort every return, and put the defective/clearance/price stickers on them, tape up rewraps and print repackage stickers, bag "special treatment" items, void duplicate defective labels, gathering and sorting reshop from each checklane, etc. between each guest, so yo usually wind up with a large heap of defectives and rewraps to keep you busy during all of the slower periods of the day. Not to mention that when working service desk I usually function as a secondary GSTL of sorts as well when capable. ie. Two lanes have their light flashing, GSTL is already helping one and I don't have a guest in line for the service desk I'll go to the other and see what they need, and take care of it if able (which most times I am since I have a walkie and pda, it's usually just if they need a supervisor override or change request that I'm not).

Very rarely do I go home without having finished catching up, but that's only because the last 2-3 hours are usually slower so I have time to catch back up and manage the heap of work to do between the somewhat sporadic guests. Luckily the first hour or two are like the last 2-3 hours, slow enough that if the closer didn't finish everything they were supposed to do you usually have time to do it for them.

The only time service desk really becomes easily manageable while also being super busy are the rare times when there's 4 people at it, 3 at a register, and one solely dedicated to doing all the defects/rewraps and collecting reshop from the checklanes.

Shocked to find that Food Ave is higher than Cashier, especially Service Desk - I definitely find working at food ave to be less stressful/difficult than when I work food ave.
Paygrades aren't based on "stress" levels. Cashiers don't have to procure a food handler's license & training in FA def takes more than just a few hrs. And I'm sure you've never been in FA during a Steritech visit.

Paygrades aren't based on "stress" levels. Cashiers don't have to procure a food handler's license & training in FA def takes more than just a few hrs. And I'm sure you've never been in FA during a Steritech visit.

FA requiring a food handler's license seems beyond silly to me though. I've worked in three restaurants, and never needed to have such a license at any of them despite handling food regularly at all three.

I'm surprised a food handler's license is required. I would be fairly confident in saying that most of our FA people (especially the minors) don't have one. Am I wrong in that?

I believe only the TL needs to have a food handlers license. I know that I am the only other employee at food ave that has a food managers certificate and there has never been any talk about one. I also thought that u always need to have one on the wall somewhere but Ive never seen one up. Also found out last week that I'm just as qualified to be Tl as my current Tl is. Don't think I would make a very good manager though. But is anyone here aware about the whole food landline license thing? I have my counties health department one and servsafe. I'm probably more qualified than my tl LOL

I'm also aware that at all times someone is supposed to be in a food service establishment who holds a food handlers license. if the health department came into a restaurant and the person who held the license was not on the premises that the restaurant would be shut down. But steritech might not check for that and ik in other restaurants when health department comes in if "John appleseed"'s name was on the wall that another employee would just pretend to be him. This is probably why you didn't need a food handlers license in those restaurants. I heard its very common but also different areas have different laws. I am in New York btw.

Correct. The only reason I have mine is because I went to a technical school for Culinary arts. I am only 18.. Also minors should not be working in food ave... They aren't aloud to operate equipment. Confused how they were hired... Should be some sort of state law. Weird.

We're an A+ vol Pfresh store so we get year-round workouts
Every TM keyed in for FA at our store has a food handler's license - testing & cert paid for by spot. As part of our training, we also went through health laws for city/county & Steritech having had BOTH drop in back-to-back on several occasions.

Only our ETL-GE had a food license, and her name/picture were on the wall.

FATL only had to get her pizza hut training.

Correct. The only reason I have mine is because I went to a technical school for Culinary arts. I am only 18.. Also minors should not be working in food ave... They aren't aloud to operate equipment. Confused how they were hired... Should be some sort of state law. Weird.

Minors are allowed to operate all the equipment in food Ave.

Several million minors work in fast food restaurants in this country.

FA requiring a food handler's license seems beyond silly to me though. I've worked in three restaurants, and never needed to have such a license at any of them despite handling food regularly at all three.

You can always tell the restaurants that don't have trained and licensed employees,
Just watch a few of those Restaurant Nightmare shows and you'll see the difference.

I worked restaurants for almost twenty years and you can walk into to the kitchen stand in the middle, do a turn and know which ones have trained and licensed crews.

Back