Archived The Big & Dandy Backroom thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have current BP up that can check? Last I've seen, BP is that plano hours do not account for backstock and that BR should be doing it. If that changed, would love to know.

On Workbench, in Setting Transitions and Revisions page, it said on the very last page and I quote,

"Clean up set.

1. Return supplies blah blah blah
2. Write down any issues or missing components blah blah blah...
3. Transport backstock from the sales floor to the backroom and stage for the backroom team to backstock.
4.. blah blah blah "

We always do plano backstock. It sucks to absorb into your workload as they're normally terrible about how they bring it back. Not to mention they do not check to see if any of the merch is discontinued/clearance/NOF before sending it back. I hate that we do it but I prefer it to having that many more hands in the cookie jar called my BRLA.

My store's plano separate those and leave it for the salesfloor team to work on.

Before E2E at my store, it used to be Plano pulled their batches, and BR did the backstocking (while bitching about it). Now that the BR team is one person, Plano does everything themselves, which just puts them even farther behind.

In my store for our last remodel they had a few BR people on the remodel team so they would do the pulls and work on any backstock generated by the remodel. So they were using remodel hours and that left BR hours for people to come in and actually do regular pulls/backstock

Question. Pallet standing up in edge. Is this a safety or fineable OSHA violation? I was told it is. But that was years ago. I'm curious where I can find more safety issue information. I swear out backroom is a death trap waiting to spring. Can I call in an anonymous safety audit?!

Well, according to the DOL site,

Cargo, pallets and other material stored in tiers shall be stacked in such a manner as to provide stability against sliding and collapse.
Stacking of cargo and pallets. - 1917.14 | Occupational Safety and Health Administration - https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=10356
Actual enforcement isn't so straightforward, though. I would say if that is one of many issues you have in your backroom, it might warrant a complaint. OSHA Worker Rights and Protections - How to File a Safety and Health Complaint | Occupational Safety and Health Administration - https://www.osha.gov/workers/file_complaint.html

We keep two pallets on their ends between a large stack of plastic pallets and some shelving for use with the baler. Based on that wording, I don't think we are in violation as there's no way for it to fall.

Yeah, I think the intent is more that you can't just prop pallets up against shelving or something and call it good or stack them 20 feet high, because they can fall over and hurt people.

In the past couple months, I've come across a handful of CHEP pallets sitting vertically on edge. Today, I came across one, near the baler, buried under cardboard (well cardboard stacked and leaning against it). It wasn't being used for anything, just leaned up, likely to make space to get to the baler.

There are other issues in my back room that make me very uncomfortable from a safety standpoint. A lot of TMs take a very cavalier attitude with their (and my) safety when performing tasks and there's not a TL or otherwise around to call them out for it. How can I make my store aware that there are significant safety issues that need addressed (and likely some I don't see or witness)? Should I call the hotline?

How significant are we talking? Pallets sitting on edge aren't a significant safety issue, IMO. As for safety issues, my biggest issue on the floor relates to flow team stacking things 2-3 (or more!) high on the top shelf, leaving guests or TMs likely to get brained while trying to get something down from that shelf.

It may be because I'm Minnesotan, but I prefer the passive-aggressive approach, and it helps because I'm new. Me, to my ETL: "So, are we supposed to be stacking space heaters 3 high on the top shelf?" Her: Shakes head...not that is someone who doesn't care about safety, I'll keep an eye on who stocks that aisle..."

If you don't want to be confrontational you can go with the inquisitive approach or go with the "at my old job they were super strict about pallets being on their sides, do you want me to move those over here where they won't risk falling down?" Whenever you can offer to fix the situation while overtly or subtly pointing out the problem, the better it will be received.

How significant are we talking? Pallets sitting on edge aren't a significant safety issue, IMO. As for safety issues, my biggest issue on the floor relates to flow team stacking things 2-3 (or more!) high on the top shelf, leaving guests or TMs likely to get brained while trying to get something down from that shelf.

It may be because I'm Minnesotan, but I prefer the passive-aggressive approach, and it helps because I'm new. Me, to my ETL: "So, are we supposed to be stacking space heaters 3 high on the top shelf?" Her: Shakes head...not that is someone who doesn't care about safety, I'll keep an eye on who stocks that aisle..."

If you don't want to be confrontational you can go with the inquisitive approach or go with the "at my old job they were super strict about pallets being on their sides, do you want me to move those over here where they won't risk falling down?" Whenever you can offer to fix the situation while overtly or subtly pointing out the problem, the better it will be received.

Well... I'm a seasoned TM. Been here a few years, but this year the backroom is in the worst shape that I can remember. There are a lot of small red flags, safety issues and just a general gloom when you enter the backroom. We're between backroom TLs right now and the AP is new in role. It's been a hectic fourth quarter and I think people are just tired and getting lazy... but that's when accidents are most likely to happen. I don't want to get hurt or see other TMs get hurt.

Hm. That's a tougher situation. You don't want to throw your store under the bus if they're working on it but, yeah, people can get hurt and that sucks. I would say if there's anything you can offer to do to help the situation (like offering to fix the few red flags) then that will be appreciated and not go unnoticed. Not sure what your store's payroll hours are like, but if they have some extra BR hours (being without a TL at the moment), you may be able to offer to pickup some BR hours to clean some of that stuff up.

We were told the same thing. Something about the items appearing to be located but becoming unlocated later. I don't exactly understand how that happens, but we don't use the mydevices to backstock anymore.

I have a feeling it was just incompetent users drawing conclusions as to why our BRLA was so bad.

Ours is too, somewhat and part of the prob is sometimes if one is going quick, the next item gets backstocked into the loc instead of the right item. Founf this more than a few times since also being told to go back to PDAS until obsolete or make SURE the item is backstocked in the right spot.

really? we force pretty much every mens onto the floor in your store. softlines is required to backstock and they suck so eh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back