Archived The Big & Dandy Backroom thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question and the powers that be over here don't it won't answer it. We check our trucks and freight when scheduling and for the most part it's 5 trucks and 10,000 for freight but for the past 3 weeks it's been 5 trucks and anywhere from 12,000-14,000. I creases I get but that's like adding another truck and no payroll. Not to mention one day truck is 1600 next day 2800 then next day 1800...lil consistency please and no it is not transition
We got a full 1400-piece truck today. Silly DC, HTF do you only get 1400 cartons on a truck, with only 4 paper pallets, no signing and no store supplies?

We got a full 1400-piece truck today. Silly DC, HTF do you only get 1400 cartons on a truck, with only 4 paper pallets, no signing and no store supplies?
Lots of bulky BTC stuff? We were recently sent a trailer that had <500 pieces because it was all large BTC items.

So apparently a few of my store Leadership team doesn't know the difference Pull time and actual time to actually do a 3 o'clock CAF's; mainly they assume that is pull time is 1:30 minutes then I will be done at 4:30, in reality, it depends on the number of flexes, get for guest, guest requests, and the nature (for example the DOM vs. FURN) and location (we five different stocks rooms) of the pulls themselves. It doesn't that the line is a complete disaster; these other secondary objectives seem to constantly put me behind; no matter how large the pulls are they want them completed before 5 pm. Any advise, thoughts, suggestions?

Prioritize so that you minimize your footsteps. I have no idea how your store is step up, but if a batch takes you to a different stockroom, I'd exit that batch and just clear all the batches in one stockroom first. If you have only a few tubs, I'd pull similar batches into repacks on my available tub, then transfer them to a flat. My store is certainly different, but if the pulls were 90 minutes, I'd still expect my team to be done in around 60 minutes.

For the most part, the pull time estimates are overly generous. You just need to be smart about which fillgroups you pull and the order you pull them in. Backing out of a batch when it takes you to another stockroom is key to reducing unnecessary steps.

At my store, most things that have locations in another stockroom is stuff that's in bulk/receiving. For us the best way to do it is back out of each batch that takes you there (skip through the rest of it first to get an idea of how much is left). Then when we've finished pulling the batches that typically have locations there, we'll go back into those batches and finish them all at once.

To give you an idea we have two main back room sides Light Duty Side than the Heavy (next to the line); in the front of the store are two stockrooms HIPA and HBA, with the 5th being electronics. I start on Light duty side and move downward to heavy duty side. Time wise isn's normally a problem I finish before the required times typical under by 30 min or so. What I typically do during BTS is do all of OFCE first in Heavy Duty side then do OFCE home in HIPA; then I do the rest of HIPA and HBA batches. I considering doing electronics last since that team doesn't do their batches till later. Are backroom area is about less than 24K square feet; plus there is no team it's just me.

Last edited:
To give you an idea we have two main back room sides Light Duty Side than the Heavy (next to the line); in the front of the store are two stockrooms HIPA and HBA, with the 5th being electronics. I start on Light duty side and move downward to heavy duty side. Time wise isn's normally a problem I finish before the required times typical under by 30 min or so. What I typically do during BTS is do all of OFCE first in Heavy Duty side then do OFCE home in HIPA; then I do the rest of HIPA and HBA batches. I considering doing electronics last since that team doesn't do their batches till later. Are backroom area is about less than 24K square feet; plus there is no team it's just me.
So are the light-duty and bulk (heavy-duty) stockrooms connected on the same side of the building? Is the electronics stockroom inside one of those stockrooms? If so, those aren't really different stockrooms. Having a HIPA (home improvement/automotive) stockroom seems sort of weird, but there is not much you can do about changing that.

Question, hopefully someone knows the answer:

We changed to manuals in the morning and it was going fairly well until CHEM starting get huge. When we initially started doing manuals, it went from 40min <20 on the daily. Then it started to grow for some reason, reaching an hour plus until we stopped dropping the manual for it and just pulled the auto. After pulling the auto, it went back to regular level. If we replace the auto with the manual in the morning by dropping the manual after the auto, why doesn't it fill the floor with what would've pulled from the auto?

Question, hopefully someone knows the answer:

We changed to manuals in the morning and it was going fairly well until CHEM starting get huge. When we initially started doing manuals, it went from 40min <20 on the daily. Then it started to grow for some reason, reaching an hour plus until we stopped dropping the manual for it and just pulled the auto. After pulling the auto, it went back to regular level. If we replace the auto with the manual in the morning by dropping the manual after the auto, why doesn't it fill the floor with what would've pulled from the auto?

Setting POGs screws with manuals (at least in my store because the POG team completely disregards capacity/SFQ). CHEM reset recently and with all the CHEM involved with BTC, that may have something to do with it. Manuals don't work efficiently unless SFQ is is right. For the most part, manuals (fill to depth) should fill whatever the autos wanted, and more. After doing the manuals long enough daily, the manuals will only pull once 3 eaches are needed, unless the DPCI has a small capacity.

Regardless of how big your CHEM manuals are, is everything that is pulled fitting on the floor (except extras from casepacks)? If it all fits, the manuals are working correctly. If not, somewhere along the line, the SFQ is getting screwed up.

The manuals would mostly fit, but would be much smaller than the auto had been. I gauged that BTC stuff set back there and the reset altered the manual, just not sure why it was much, much smaller than the auto. It almost seemed reversed, honestly. I'm going to take a wack at it again and add chem back into the mix, though.

When you break a POG that has DPCIs in 2 locations, the system isn't automatically changing the SFQ, anyone know how to fix this?

Example: Pens with 10 capacity in BTS and 10 in that location, same pen with 10 capacity in Office and 10 in that location for a SFQ of 20. Break BTS POG, only capacity on the floor now is the 10 in Office, however SFQ remains at 20.

When you break a POG that has DPCIs in 2 locations, the system isn't automatically changing the SFQ, anyone know how to fix this?

Example: Pens with 10 capacity in BTS and 10 in that location, same pen with 10 capacity in Office and 10 in that location for a SFQ of 20. Break BTS POG, only capacity on the floor now is the 10 in Office, however SFQ remains at 20.
I think you have to change each one manually by doing a count up date. Not sure of an easier way.

Does anyone know if or what are the ramifications of autos dropping before acknowledging the truck? Our drop time was changed to accommodate our team that was working over night during remodel and hasn't been switched back. But we also drop and pull manuals every morning so I'm thinking it doesn't matter.

How did everyone else fair with the back to school tear down hell? We just spent past three days doing nothing other than backstock office. I think it worked out to over 20hrs. We have so much stuff leftover from those stupid bins.

I'm purging the last bit off our seasonal wall of BTS and sending it back to the STAT/OFCE aisle. Halloween coming in hot. Also swept back like 4 flats of BTS on the sweep, whatup.

Only worry is Price Change is so behind, we haven't even pulled their stuff because they can't even ticket the floor. Makes the back heavier.

So were not an E2E store we still have a backroom team but I have a question, for any stores speaking of back to school and all that jazz, when that gets reset into halloween all the the product that gets taken down who gets to backstock it at your store. Is it the backroom team, plano/presentation or a combination of the two? I basically got into a spat with one of my etls today about it because our presentation team decided that they were going to start setting halloween yesterday nearly 4-5 days early instead of letting bts sell down, which was apparently a directive from our stl, which ok I get... but back to who gets to backstock it all, when I was getting into it with the etl he basically said do you want me to pull the "core roles" for the departments and I just ended it at that because I wasn't going to get into it. But I decided to look it up and the core roles for both backroom tms and presentation tms are the exact same regarding pulling/backstocking. That means to me that presentation should be handling all of their own pulls and backstock instead of haphazardly throwing all of bts in repacks without a care and then shoving it into the backroom where they don't have to worry about it. I'm mainly irritated about this because we were all but clean yesterday before they started bringing back flats/pallets of backstock and now there are probably 10-15 vehicles of backstock all from bts/seasonal. We typically only have one opener in the store for backroom and usually have other work that takes priority most days. Also our overnight backroom team usually is able to finish all of their pulls then get to a good portion of the backstock from the truck, but other than that they usually don't have time for extra backstock like this.

So were not an E2E store we still have a backroom team but I have a question, for any stores speaking of back to school and all that jazz, when that gets reset into halloween all the the product that gets taken down who gets to backstock it at your store. Is it the backroom team, plano/presentation or a combination of the two? I basically got into a spat with one of my etls today about it because our presentation team decided that they were going to start setting halloween yesterday nearly 4-5 days early instead of letting bts sell down, which was apparently a directive from our stl, which ok I get... but back to who gets to backstock it all, when I was getting into it with the etl he basically said do you want me to pull the "core roles" for the departments and I just ended it at that because I wasn't going to get into it. But I decided to look it up and the core roles for both backroom tms and presentation tms are the exact same regarding pulling/backstocking. That means to me that presentation should be handling all of their own pulls and backstock instead of haphazardly throwing all of bts in repacks without a care and then shoving it into the backroom where they don't have to worry about it. I'm mainly irritated about this because we were all but clean yesterday before they started bringing back flats/pallets of backstock and now there are probably 10-15 vehicles of backstock all from bts/seasonal. We typically only have one opener in the store for backroom and usually have other work that takes priority most days. Also our overnight backroom team usually is able to finish all of their pulls then get to a good portion of the backstock from the truck, but other than that they usually don't have time for extra backstock like this.
Under setting planograms best practice, it says POG team no longer backstocks.

Edit: disregard that, the page was updated on 6/15/17 and probably deleted that part.

Last edited:
Luckily, we have kept up on all BTS backstock. We overflowed some glue and crayola down a different aisle and have LOCU'd the OFCE aisle.

Since CAFs aren't important anymore, we just stopped pulling them, so the closer just backstocks, pulls price change, monitors SPUs, does empty locs, etc.

@flexindazones that is a question as old as time itself, and it just varies from store to store. I would say if POG normally does their own backstock, then this shouldn't be any different. Same if backroom normally does it.

We always do plano backstock. It sucks to absorb into your workload as they're normally terrible about how they bring it back. Not to mention they do not check to see if any of the merch is discontinued/clearance/NOF before sending it back. I hate that we do it but I prefer it to having that many more hands in the cookie jar called my BRLA.

@flexindazones that is a question as old as time itself, and it just varies from store to store. I would say if POG normally does their own backstock, then this shouldn't be any different. Same if backroom normally does it.

My STL has probably said to me that POG is supposed to do their own backstock 1865432158675428979412675 times over the last 3 years and yet were still doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back