Archived The Big & Dandy Backroom thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
E2E = red BRLA. Even the stores where it's "successful" have red BRLA I'm fairly sure. The biggest issues at my store have been softlines and beauty backstocking similar DPCIs in the same waco without scanning all of them in, but it hasn't been easy to get them to fix that. Our BRTL started running detail reports to find out who was doing it and had them coached, but it really hasn't helped much.

Out store was having simliar issues with being red for brla. Speaking for my area of softlines a few things I did are

Take all the hands out of the cookie jar so to speak. I picked 1 relible sl tm for weekdays and 1 for weekend who 100% owned backstock. If I saw anyone other then those 2 tm or a lead on the report I coached them.

With my team I literally told them, think like a 5 year old. "If you saw this green v-neck and this green crew neck in the same waco stacked on top of one another would you think it's the same shirt?" Answer- yes! So you can't put them together. Same with sizing. In each backroom aisle I posted a sign of what I wanted in each 4ft section(tops, bottoms, underwear etc.) and then told them 1 size 1 color per waco.

The team thankfully liked the structure.

For the br as a whole, autofill etc. We will dummy number all problem items. As in types in the dpci it's looking for and "pull" it. We never say it's not there.

We also always check who is making the mistakes. Coached it. If the problems keep happening my logistics lead would take them off all backroom tasks and keep them as only pushers. It's usully the same tm making a huge chunk of mistakes. When audit rolled out we had 1 team member make almost 200 mistakes in one day. Another close to 100.

Last I was told that when doing pulls in audit to make sure the only item you are scanning is the one in the picture. If you scan something that is not the dpci you are asked for it counts against us. Idk how accurate that is but all of these combine have given us green pretty much every week.

Take all the hands out of the cookie jar so to speak. I picked 1 relible sl tm for weekdays and 1 for weekend who 100% owned backstock. If I saw anyone other then those 2 tm or a lead on the report I coached them.

It's almost like having dedicated team members that specialize in a certain area gets the job done more efficiently and accurately than random jack-of-all-trades. Who would have thought?

For the br as a whole, autofill etc. We will dummy number all problem items. As in types in the dpci it's looking for and "pull" it. We never say it's not there.

That's just covering it up. The problems are still there.

I have no clue how it's so bad either. I have literally locu all my baby backroom and located each waco from scratch with different dpci when inventory was coming in. Less then a week later I had a tm backstock a 3 pack of pail liners as individuals. So there were 12 located vs. 4?? It's little things like that we keep seeing. Or a tm would locate 100 macorni when its 10?? And not fix it for some reason.

As far as pulling everything regardless. It helps alot. Our errors used to be realllly big. We now find less and less baffles and ghost in general. Plus my br tl and her captain have really stepped up in the back with huddles, over seeing and helping tm's so they don't have any confusion.

There is still alot to learn especially for me since I'm still kind of new but I think our store will get there....hopefully!

It's almost like having dedicated team members that specialize in a certain area gets the job done more efficiently and accurately than random jack-of-all-trades. Who would have thought?

That's just covering it up. The problems are still there.
Hey I remember that, they used to be called Backroom Team Members and were specifically trained to do that that job and nothing else.

Guess that made too much sense

The thing is, almost no SFTM will get this right because they aren't back there enough to hone the skills. The spend 30 mintues a day fucking up the back while a real BRTM would spend half shift doing it the right way.

The thing is, almost no SFTM will get this right because they aren't back there enough to hone the skills. The spend 30 mintues a day fucking up the back while a real BRTM would spend half shift doing it the right way.

This is almost exactly what I told one of our ETLs when he said I should "show them how it's done". His response was "well you figured it out."

/facepalm

I "figured it out" because I did that job 40+ hours a week for several years. You can't help but pick up little details that make the job easier such as:

1. Smooth motions when drawing and holstering your PDA.
2. Muscle memory that makes going up and down ladders while carrying boxes almost as easy as walking.
3. Learning the layout of backroom profiles so well that you barely have to look to find a certain location. 024F33? 3rd section on the right, just below eye level, towards the left of the section (in my backroom).
4. Muscle memory using PDA keypads which greatly increases typing speed.
5. Best methods to load up carts and tubs when pulling or preparing backstock.

I could go on and on. Individually, each of these only increases your efficiency by a small amount. Collectively, it saves a LOT of payroll compared to having a random sales floor TM do it. I can't train someone how to do that in just 30 minute windows; it takes a lot of practice.

This is almost exactly what I told one of our ETLs when he said I should "show them how it's done". His response was "well you figured it out."

/facepalm

I "figured it out" because I did that job 40+ hours a week for several years. You can't help but pick up little details that make the job easier such as:

1. Smooth motions when drawing and holstering your PDA.
2. Muscle memory that makes going up and down ladders while carrying boxes almost as easy as walking.
3. Learning the layout of backroom profiles so well that you barely have to look to find a certain location. 024F33? 3rd section on the right, just below eye level, towards the left of the section (in my backroom).
4. Muscle memory using PDA keypads which greatly increases typing speed.
5. Best methods to load up carts and tubs when pulling or preparing backstock.

I could go on and on. Individually, each of these only increases your efficiency by a small amount. Collectively, it saves a LOT of payroll compared to having a random sales floor TM do it. I can't train someone how to do that in just 30 minute windows; it takes a lot of practice.
Exactly. I picked up small things I'd never admit I did irl like muscle memory walking items exactly where they need to go, and backstocking in all one motion totally accuracy

Even the people from the floor that actually backstock right to it slow as hell like walking one item at a time from the front to the back of an asile

our BRTL came back from vacation this morning and when he and I came in at 5:30 there was an overstuffed baler full of Styrofoam and bubble wrap, 4 full cages of cardboard and so much backstock he couldn't get the ladder back there. Someone on closing shift keeps dumping their backstock on the line. Keeping an eye on the local news for his mugshot after he goes on a rampage.

Take all the hands out of the cookie jar so to speak. I picked 1 relible sl tm for weekdays and 1 for weekend who 100% owned backstock.
My store tried that, except it was a closing TM who also had to push all of the truck freight for BGI and zone as well. Backstock piled up so fast and the TL would have to spend days cleaning it up every few weeks.

We will dummy number all problem items. As in types in the dpci it's looking for and "pull" it. We never say it's not there.
The problem with that, is you are telling the system that the item is now stocked on the floor, when that may not be the case. So if it shows up somewhere else and gets backstocked, it won’t pull it because it thinks the floor is full. Then it just sits until it gets researched or drops into price change. It’s even worse for non-softlines areas because stuff could come in on the truck and never even make it to the floor if it gets scanned as backstock on the unload.

The worst part of this modernization foolishmess is that having salesfloor push really isn't that horrible of an idea. My store (stuck in E2E limbo) has backroom constantly pull OOS batches during downtime, and calls out to the salesfloor to come pick them up each time we finish one. Our instocks have been much better lately, and sales are showing it, but it won't work once they try to kill the BR team. I expect that many stores will schedule a BRTM under Hardlines hours if modernization actually happens.

I feel like a dirty traitor but I asked to leave the backroom when I started getting wind of these changes... and now they beg me to come back stock for the e2e teams. You just can't replace a good backroom team member, there's no one else in the store who understands how baffles happen, why the pdas are more accurate than the zebras, why we don't try to cheat the system, etc etc. Our store had a beautiful backroom and I worked back there for 2.5 yrs but it hurts my ego when I cant make something work so I had to move on to a different role. Our backroom has been clean once since e2e started and that was for inventory when we had to bring in outside help. :(

I feel like a dirty traitor but I asked to leave the backroom when I started getting wind of these changes... and now they beg me to come back stock for the e2e teams. You just can't replace a good backroom team member, there's no one else in the store who understands how baffles happen, why the pdas are more accurate than the zebras, why we don't try to cheat the system, etc etc. Our store had a beautiful backroom and I worked back there for 2.5 yrs but it hurts my ego when I cant make something work so I had to move on to a different role. Our backroom has been clean once since e2e started and that was for inventory when we had to bring in outside help. :(

I know that feeling after 8 years, I finally decided to go back to replenishment team, since are store has decided to do away with backroom pretty much completely, when you have a Team Lead, that all he wants to do is run is replenishment and don't want to deal with backroom at all. Other than to chew out a Team Member over something he doesn't explain to the Team or doesn't know how to do him self and call me in to explain to that team member or something he wouldn't do his self because he doesn't want to work since all he shouldn't have to do any of that since he makes the big bucks. Today even though he was scheduled for Backroom but 200PM rolled around first word come from his mouth was he didn't have a backroom team member scheduled so nothing was pulled, 65 pulls in the gun 23 out of stocks, the rest were regular pulls, I just finally decided I had enough to the point where I just said fine, if you think you can run a backroom 100% with out a backroom team member and you don't want to pull your weight since we have no more backroom team according to him, I looked at my ETL and STL and told them I wanted to go back to sale floor.

OK this may or may not be a stupid question but does anyone know if there is a way to Sto an item and it not show your name on the backroom detail report ???

Interesting since I saw it today hence the question. All showed up on backroom detail report with no name yet I took same casepacks and relocated them and my name showed . Any explanation you can think of?
I know that names drop off after a certain time, maybe 2 weeks? But I’m not sure how you can STO something without your name showing up.

OK this may or may not be a stupid question but does anyone know if there is a way to Sto an item and it not show your name on the backroom detail report ???

To answer your question literally, you could always ask someone to log in for you to show that person's name.

Is anyone else doing 12 Steps at their store? Our store wants us to be doing it but they only ever schedule 1 BR person after 8am, maybe 2 occasionally. So that person has to do the regular BR jobs and has literally 0 time to do the 12 Steps but our STL still expects them to be done. It is either the 12 Steps get done or the BR regular tasks get done, you can't have both when only one person is scheduled.

I was always in awe of our backroom team. They put up so much freight, were helpful and cheerful, efficient and I missed them as they left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back