I'm Lost! The REDCard Thread

It could be your bank also. Certain smaller banks have issues getting approved for the debit. Not sure why. One of my co-workers applied for the debit with me and it was denied. When I asked my GSTL why it was denying him, he looked at the check and told me that specific bank always got denied.

It could be your bank also. Certain smaller banks have issues getting approved for the debit. Not sure why. One of my co-workers applied for the debit with me and it was denied. When I asked my GSTL why it was denying him, he looked at the check and told me that specific bank always got denied.

That's weird.
I wonder why.

Thanks a bunch, Barcode.

Any advice for when people cut you off with a no? "Would you li-" "No thank you!". I usually leave it at that (because I know if someone is that quick to dismiss me, they either a) don't care no matter what I say, or b) have heard it before and aren't interested) but I keep getting coached on it and I'd rather not get fired over something as petty as Redcards.

(Speaking of which, their whole thought process blows my mind. "Lets be fast, fun and friendly! You know what's friendly? Shoving credit cards in our guests face! :D!"

Luckily getting coached for redcards doesn't really seem to be a thing in our store.

I've seen new cashiers go 7 months without getting a single redcard. I don't believe they were ever coached, but even if they were, they weren't fired for it.

Thanks a bunch, Barcode.

Any advice for when people cut you off with a no? "Would you li-" "No thank you!". I usually leave it at that (because I know if someone is that quick to dismiss me, they either a) don't care no matter what I say, or b) have heard it before and aren't interested) but I keep getting coached on it and I'd rather not get fired over something as petty as Redcards.

(Speaking of which, their whole thought process blows my mind. "Lets be fast, fun and friendly! You know what's friendly? Shoving credit cards in our guests face! :D!"

Change your approach. Ask them if they shop at spot a lot? Ease into the pitch.

Or

"I see you're buying a lot today, you could save 5% today and everyday which is $15 today by opening a REDcard. We have non credit option as well."

If they rush to no, or say "I don't want a credit card", always ease out of the convo with something like

"Oh ok, we do have a debit option too if you're ever interested :) "

That way you're giving them a little extra info while wrapping the conversation up. I've gotten plenty of RedCards this way since the guest will get hooked back in.

Also number one rule (especially up front), ask at the start of the transaction. Not necessarily before you start scanning but within the few items. The guest can start filling out the app while you start scanning and they're usually more receptive.

In Elec I would usually pitch it while I'm helping them with selections (TV, etc.) Would tell them it's easy and fast and they save $20-50 on their TV purchase and get a longer return period in case something goes wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
How bad would it be if I closed my debit REDcard just to re-open it with my new checking account @ the store? I want to help our conversion.

I don't see how that'd be an issue at all. Shouldn't even need to close the first one actually. We have guests with more than one debit red card because they have multiple checking accounts. It seems to require they wait 7-10 days to be contacted via mail when signing up for the second card though.

You may be declined for the new one, even if you do cancel the old one first. Best just to go online or call the number and change it that way. One REDCard app isn't going to make or break your store's entire culture.

I don't see how that'd be an issue at all. Shouldn't even need to close the first one actually. We have guests with more than one debit red card because they have multiple checking accounts. It seems to require they wait 7-10 days to be contacted via mail when signing up for the second card though.

Guests tell me they get contacted in the mail with a letter that says they already have a REDcard. Basically, they don't get a second card.

I have two checking accounts and am only able to get one debit card. Guests have told me the same thing so I'm not sure what's up with that. Never called to find out.

You can duplicate app to raise conversion, they won't send you a second card. It is not something you want to get caught doing though..

You can duplicate app to raise conversion, they won't send you a second card. It is not something you want to get caught doing though..

According to my ETL-HR you can be terminated for this. SO not worth it. The best idea is to revamp your REDcard strategy. Review the REDcard is REAL initiative.

I don't know if it was just my register or store wide, but I got a message after a longer than usual process to approval "RedCard Error. Apply another day. Give guest $3 off" This happened to me twice at my register last night, and I lost out on two conversions (I could have had 4)!

I don't know if it was just my register or store wide, but I got a message after a longer than usual process to approval "RedCard Error. Apply another day. Give guest $3 off" This happened to me twice at my register last night, and I lost out on two conversions (I could have had 4)!
The redcard will drop later , so you still should be getting credit for them. This isnt too uncommon depending on the condition of your registers.

I have been working at a Target near my house for about a month now, so yes I'm still on probation period. I remember that after I applied, my sister mentioned something about someone on a forum (maybe it was this site? I don't know) that complained about getting written up for not opening enough red cards. Ever since then, it has been something that I constantly worry about. I even remember asking some of the cashiers if that is the case and I'd always get the response, "As long as you try." or as from some of the Team Leaders, they'd try and help me somehow or coach me (bad way or good way?). After a while, I kind of stopped worrying over it and just did my best to open up more RED cards with people. So far, I have gotten 7-8 which I think is good.

It wasn't that I was not worried about the Red card stuff anymore, though. I actually pushed it to the back of my mind and tried not to think about that. I keep doing my very best to convince each guest (unless they are underage or in not such a good mood) to open up a Red card with Target. Some say they don't want another card, they already have it, or they are laid off of the fact that Target had that one incident last year. Recently though, one of my co-workers mentioned to my sister that they tried to fire her (Co-worker) because she didn't open up enough RED Cards. Which again worried the heck out of me for myself and for her. Furthermore, I tried to think about possible details. I figure maybe the co-worker isn't asking or trying hard enough. I'd like to think that.

I have a lot of confidence that I will get Redcards from time to time, and I always do. 1-2 times in one day sometimes. I'm doing my best, and I know that I can't force the card on someone. I just am very scared that I'm not enough of an asset for the company itself. I love my job, and I think the management is great there. but still...

Alas, here's my few questions:
1. Would you get written up or fired if you don't open enough Redcards?
2. Would you get written up for not opening up one for say a month or two for example?
3. Does it depend on the store's management, or no?

Back