I'm Lost! The REDCard Thread

@Onizuka, it is true that it's not totally in your control. You can't force guests to sign up, however a little confidence and a lot of education can go a long way :). There are some great tips on here, so read up!

The store gets credit for it at the end of the week if the guest is in your zip code range.

What happens if there are multiple stores in the same zip code?

Wait. If you make a transaction, and then subtract it out of your register, then you know how much you have left....and it doesn't matter if it posts within five minutes or three days, because you know the money is not there. If you did the math wrong (or didn't do it at all), how exactly is this Target's fault?

I probably should keep this comment to myself, but I can't help myself. When you use your debit card or write a check, the money should be considered gone at that moment! For crying out loud if it causes you to stress out over how long it takes to post, then cancel the card and don't have a checking account. Thank you, I feel better now, lol

I am a forgetful person...I bought about $40 worth of groceries at Target recently, stuff that I normally buy elsewhere and put on my credit card (which I pay off at a convenient time of each month). I automatically used my RedCard at checkout and completely forgot about it.

I ended up overdrawing my checking account when the charge came through 5 days later, at the same time as my rent and car payment. Luckily my bank was cool with it and let my carry a $-10 balance until I got paid the next day.

Sure I could balance my account by hand...but as I said, I'm forgetful and I would surely forget to write things down. That's why I check my balance every morning and keep a calendar with my monthly expenses.

"Would you like to save five percent today and everyday by ruining your credit with a ridiculously low credit line, not to mention the outrageous financial terms?"

I got a Target Visa in 2007, and slowly, it's become a $7,500 credit line. I think originally the limit was $1,500 though.
*Do keep in mind. I'm one of those, who pays his bills in full every month, and I've never gone over limit, or close.*

With that said. While Cashiering, it was extremely rare for guests to get high limits. I wanna say the highest I ever saw was $5,000.

I don't think they all know about the Debit Card. When I ask if they know about it, they don't want to look dumb and are like "Yeah...I know about the Debit Card, no thanks..."
I don't get why they wouldn't get the Debit Card if they were using one to begin with! It's like free money! Plus, when you sign up for the Debit Card you get instant savings and a temporary card...but whatever. People are strange.

Because 90% of our guests are drunk college kids so yeah most of the time they just don't care what you have to say.

I got a Target Visa in 2007, and slowly, it's become a $7,500 credit line. I think originally the limit was $1,500 though.
*Do keep in mind. I'm one of those, who pays his bills in full every month, and I've never gone over limit, or close.*

With that said. While Cashiering, it was extremely rare for guests to get high limits. I wanna say the highest I ever saw was $5,000.
Most I've seen is 5k, but like most banks they probably up your limit fairly quickly. And I've got guests who make six figures to half a mil a year that have applied.

*hypothetical question*

Why would anyone not want to sign up for the RedCard? Most responses are get are something like:

"I'm okay"
"I'm good"

Is it like I'm calling them poor and get offended when I ask them if they want to save 5%?

But seriously, why would someone not want to sign up?

Because consumers are so used to there being a catch that the automatic response is "No" and trying to push it just pisses them off.

Because consumers are sick of every clerk holding your transaction hostage while they do their little spiel.
ex. My fucking bank has gotten so bad at this, people will ignore the 4 empty drive through lanes to wait in line at the ATM.
"Have you heard about our new credit program?"
-I'm not interested right now, Thank y-
"You get cash back for every $1000 you spend on it!!"
-I'm really not interested right now, is my deposit finished yet?"
"Would you like more info on this to look over later"
-(irritation begins to creep into my voice) No!
"I can email this to you if you prefer"

After 2 months of that on a weekly basis, I started waiting in line at the ATM. I would rather spend 5 minutes listening to the radio in my car while waiting in line than 2 minutes of that.

Yes, that's what I was asking. She had a different checking account from the one her current debit card was linked to. She was asking if she could possibly get another RED debit with the different account. But if you're saying only one account at a time, I guess the answer is no.

If she wants to switch her RedCard over to her other checking account, she can call the number on the back of the card to do so. Unfortunately, each guest can only have one debit RedCard.

Some people act like you're trying to sell them drugs...geeze...

I know a couple of people who have severe manic episodes and the very worse thing they can have when that happens is a credit card.
It is quite literally like having a drug.
They will use shopping to make themselves feel better often buying things they don't really need, can't afford and will top out their cards even if they are unemployed.
I've seen their kids have to return hundreds of dollars in toys because the rent needed to be paid.

I didn't mean it like that @commiecorvus ....I just meant that some people get so sketched out when you are selling them REDcards, it's like they act like you are trying to sell drugs.

I know.
No worries.
But it's really frustrating that the company is working so hard to push the damn cards when there are actually some people that really shouldn't have them.

Yep, I can understand if someone wants the Debit Card...or if they want to get the Credit Card and pay the balance at the end of the month. But secretly, Target wants them to pay the minimum monthly payment, and rake in the late fees... :/

I don't understand why people would want to spend money (credit card) they don't have. I love my debit card.

Honestly, I have stopped pushing redcards to guests. I know that I am not educated enough on their ins and outs, so I really don't think its right for me to be preaching to someone about how great I have been told they are.
I've been with the company for several years and still don't have a card. I don't plan on getting one either.

I don't understand why people would want to spend money (credit card) they don't have. I love my debit card.

Same reason people don't pay up-front for houses and new cars. How many of us have tens of thousands of dollars at our disposal at all times? Did you use your debit card to pay for your home?

Back