I'm Lost! The REDCard Thread

I remember how spot used to send out coupons to card holders but that went by the wayside when Cartwheel rolled out.

I was wondering what happened to those poorly (if at all) perforated mailings. I remember when people would come in with the coupon for a free 2-liter pop, but they'd be surprised that they still had to pay the $0.05 for the bottle deposit. And the free eggs. SO MANY EGGS.

Sadly, I have been threatened by my GSTL before that he would fire me if I didn't get more REDcards. Being a Cashier has been really stressful on me, considering the fact that I get 1-2 REDcards a week, and it's not enough to him. Now, I'm not saying that he's in the wrong for wanting more, because I know it all falls on him if he doesn't get us to get REDcards. I just wish that I could be a Cashier, without the burden of REDcards, Target would be perfect for me then.

Sadly, I have been threatened by my GSTL before that he would fire me if I didn't get more REDcards. Being a Cashier has been really stressful on me, considering the fact that I get 1-2 REDcards a week, and it's not enough to him. Now, I'm not saying that he's in the wrong for wanting more, because I know it all falls on him if he doesn't get us to get REDcards. I just wish that I could be a Cashier, without the burden of REDcards, Target would be perfect for me then.

He can't do that. And you should report him for threatening you. All you can do is ask. As long as you're asking and educating, you're doing your job.

He absolutely cannot do that. All that you can be punished for is not asking for Red Cards. Talk to your ETL-HR and ETL-GE asap, and if they are not sympathetic, then take it to the hotline.

At... this one store I know of, the new thing is the GSA/GSTLs are supposed to sneak up behind every cashier and try to give them "three strikes" during their shift. They can get a strike for not vibing, not asking about the redcard or not circling the survey. Three strikes is a written-up on the spot coaching (from the GSTL) which can escalate into corrective action. They are ABSOLUTELY aggressively performancing out ALL cashiers who do not cheerfully, pleasantly and persistently ask Every Single Guest within the first thirty seconds of the transaction.

The cashier position is first and foremost a RC SALES position who happens to also ring up and complete guest transactions.

Conducting these "observations" is more important than guest service at this store.

As a result, two GSAs have requested permanent demotion to GS, and another has been moved to 3239 full time. (which is win-win for everyone. Let them hire some used car salesmen to watch the front lanes.)

At... this one store I know of, the new thing is the GSA/GSTLs are supposed to sneak up behind every cashier and try to give them "three strikes" during their shift. They can get a strike for not vibing, not asking about the redcard or not circling the survey. Three strikes is a written-up on the spot coaching (from the GSTL) which can escalate into corrective action. They are ABSOLUTELY aggressively performancing out ALL cashiers who do not cheerfully, pleasantly and persistently ask Every Single Guest within the first thirty seconds of the transaction.

The cashier position is first and foremost a RC SALES position who happens to also ring up and complete guest transactions.

Conducting these "observations" is more important than guest service at this store.

As a result, two GSAs have requested permanent demotion to GS, and another has been moved to 3239 full time. (which is win-win for everyone. Let them hire some used car salesmen to watch the front lanes.)

Well, their labor market must still be depressed??? I can't imagine fostering such a hostile work environment that you are either writing up and consequently firing TMs, or that TMs just quit. Not unless you can hire more TMs as quickly as you lose them. And so close to Q4.

On another note, my store does have a TL and GSA that will sneak up on people to make sure they're asking about RCs.

Keep us posted on how this store fares!

He absolutely cannot do that. All that you can be punished for is not asking for Red Cards. Talk to your ETL-HR and ETL-GE asap, and if they are not sympathetic, then take it to the hotline.

It was during my 90 day evaluation, and my ETL-GE there, she nodded her head the entire time giving him her support.

I'm not going to lie, I looked for other jobs and found a really good one, but my parents told me to stay at Target.

It was during my 90 day evaluation, and my ETL-GE there, she nodded her head the entire time giving him her support.

Well if you're under 90 days, they can pretty much fire you for whatever they want. They don't even have to keep you if you're seasonal. Usually though, if you're a good worker otherwise, but just can't sell RedCards, then they try you out in other departments if you mention that you're interested.

I'll be honest, at my interview they asked "would you be comfortable advertising our redcard?" There was no mention of daily goal or asking every person or anything like that. If I had know about the b.s. surrounding redcards I would've walked out of my interview.
It would be nice if the interviewers asked that at my store. I know for a fact that it never came up in my interview for a cashier position.

Last edited:
Honestly, its not that hard to get a redcard. Just put in that "I can save you 5%..." sentence before you close the transaction, and if you do that, I can almost guarantee you'll get one or two in a shift. Say it every time, and it will come naturally. You already have the support of salesfloor TMs at the press of a button in the case of a backup, so why hesitate to ask? If you hardly have to zone, or do any push, then give the guest experience 100%, and just ask. TMs who don't get redcards are the ones that rarely ask.

Honestly, its not that hard to get a redcard. Just put in that "I can save you 5%..." sentence before you close the transaction, and if you do that, I can almost guarantee you'll get one or two in a shift. Say it every time, and it will come naturally. You already have the support of salesfloor TMs at the press of a button in the case of a backup, so why hesitate to ask? If you hardly have to zone, or do any push, then give the guest experience 100%, and just ask. TMs who don't get redcards are the ones that rarely ask.

I don't disagree. But this is one of the reasons why the process teams are behind or can't do their jobs fully. At my store, it's constant calls for backups. You'll be up there for half an hour. And no let up.

Meanwhile, there's no time to clean anymore on pog. Just set and forget.

I mean, obviously, this is how we are running the store now. Funny how our scores for cleanliness are dropping a little each week.

I don't disagree. But this is one of the reasons why the process teams are behind or can't do their jobs fully. At my store, it's constant calls for backups. You'll be up there for half an hour. And no let up.

Meanwhile, there's no time to clean anymore on pog. Just set and forget.

I mean, obviously, this is how we are running the store now. Funny how our scores for cleanliness are dropping a little each week.

There needs to be a "backup to help salesfloor" button.

There needs to be a "backup to help salesfloor" button.

You have walkies, the cashiers generally don't. If you are one plus one on the sales floor, best practice is to call for assistance to help the guests. We do it for electronics and can do it for other areas as well. If your sales floor TMs aren't calling for assistance as needed, they need to be retrained.

You have walkies, the cashiers generally don't. If you are one plus one on the sales floor, best practice is to call for assistance to help the guests. We do it for electronics and can do it for other areas as well. If your sales floor TMs aren't calling for assistance as needed, they need to be retrained.

I think you missed my underlying point. I was referring to the workload we don't get done because we are helping at the lanes. Who helps the salesfloor set endcaps? Do PTM? Run clearance? All the things we struggle to get done because we are at the lanes 1/4 of our day.

Um, how does that work for pog? Or signing? If I call off a day, no one picks up the slack. My work sits there. If a cashier calls off, there isn't a line of guests waiting there from the day before. And management doesn't call a cashier in if one calls off, they just expect the process teams to come up more. I'm not complaining. I'm stating reality.

Meanwhile, we are having to skip cleaning and other things just to get the TWT cleared. Eh, it makes me not proud of my work.

I think you missed my underlying point. I was referring to the workload we don't get done because we are helping at the lanes. Who helps the salesfloor set endcaps? Do PTM? Run clearance? All the things we struggle to get done because we are at the lanes 1/4 of our day.

Um, how does that work for pog? Or signing? If I call off a day, no one picks up the slack. My work sits there. If a cashier calls off, there isn't a line of guests waiting there from the day before. And management doesn't call a cashier in if one calls off, they just expect the process teams to come up more. I'm not complaining. I'm stating reality.

Meanwhile, we are having to skip cleaning and other things just to get the TWT cleared. Eh, it makes me not proud of my work.

While all those things are important, taking care of the Guests is the number one priority. That's why having people coming up for back up is so important. It's not because the front end is just more demanding, and no one cares about sales floor, it's because getting the guests in and out quickly and efficiently, and assuring they had a good shopping experience, is basically the only purpose of anything we do.

While all those things are important, taking care of the Guests is the number one priority. That's why having people coming up for back up is so important. It's not because the front end is just more demanding, and no one cares about sales floor, it's because getting the guests in and out quickly and efficiently, and assuring they had a good shopping experience, is basically the only purpose of anything we do.

But.... Maintaining "brand" on the sales floor is important for those very guests to have an enjoyable experience, a large aspect of the overall VIBE scores for the store. So, like I said, the salesfloor still needs to get their work done, and that is difficult if they do not have adequate opportunity to do so.

But.... Maintaining "brand" on the sales floor is important for those very guests to have an enjoyable experience, a large aspect of the overall VIBE scores for the store. So, like I said, the salesfloor still needs to get their work done, and that is difficult if they do not have adequate opportunity to do so.

I just said that's important. Sales floor is very important. But, the lines are the last step a guest goes through. Even if a store doesn't look it's best, not having to wait in a long line, and having a nice cashier, will still leave them with a good impression. Think about it, imagine you went to a store, and everything looked immaculate and everything was perfectly stocked, labeled, and easy to find. However, you had to wait in line for 15 minutes to buy $30 worth of merchandise. You wouldn't be happy. You're role on the sales floor is important. But Guests are always the number one priority.

The flipside to that, its too often there is nobody on the salesfloor because of backups. So in the guest aspect, you still lose no matter how great the front end runs.

Back