I'm Lost! The REDCard Thread

Our Redcard goals for our district are increasing each week by 10% from this week to the end of October. Kill me now.

The fact that our goal is much higher than the next closest store that does double the business that we do just kills me and ruins any incentive I have to care.

Our goal is going up to 98 next week, and just this last week we were literally only just able to scrape by. We got 27 redcards on Saturday, allowing us to exceed our goal by 1. No fucking way are we going to be green for redcards this week.

My store's goal is 100 this week and when you get one your name goes into a drawing for a prize.

Hello, I'm fairly new to target, been a cashier for about 3 weeks. For the first two weeks or so nobody taught me how to sell redcards and my "trainer" told me he doesn't really ask any guests if they want one. Then I had someone kind of tell me how to sell redcards and that I should ask every person. So I began asking every guest but no one wanted one. Well two days ago I was called into an office and was basically told "you've been here 3 weeks and haven't sold any redcards, you need to step up your game". That day I happened to land my first redcard 30 minutes before closing. Great. I've changed my strategy of asking and have gotten about 3 people to say yes but then they don't have their checkbook. I'm really stressed about this stupid redcard thing. I feel like it's total luck, nobody carries their checkbook around with them everywhere. It makes me feel like quitting honestly. I'd like my job a lot better without redcards.

I know they pressure you, but I've found that the less you care, the more you get. If you're so stressed about the RedCards, it'll show every time you ask the guests if they want one.

Try and breathe. Work on keeping your scores green. Cards will come, but the more you stress, the less you'll be able to achieve.

honestly it is just luck. sometimes you will get people who will just tell you they want to sign up before you even get a chance to ask. sometimes you might get 2 in one day, or none. it's so hard to ask each guest and they honestly can't expect you to.. you sometimes get kids who come through your lane, rude people on their phone who don't even respond when you ask how their day is, or deaf people. don't worry, you're still new, if you get called into the office again just tell them you're trying and ask them for some more pointers. sometimes you might get 4 in one week or none at all.

the Redcard push has gone way too far. but it is part of the job. One of our GSTLs has finally had enough with Redcards... and other things about management and has finally put in her two weeks.

Our cashiers are coached if they don't get one per 100 transactions. We are fairly certain the coachings won't lead to much, because they are asking....and eventually they would run out of cashiers if they CCAed them out the door.

Our cashiers are coached if they don't get one per 100 transactions. We are fairly certain the coachings won't lead to much, because they are asking....and eventually they would run out of cashiers if they CCAed them out the door.
I can understand getting a coaching if you don't ask at all and don't even try getting Redcards, but it seems pretty unfair to coach people for something they have no control over.

The amount of defense in this thread for Target and the way they hound and "hold a gun" to the cashier's heads to get REDcards is a little disappointing. "It's part of the job." "It sucks, but what can you do?" "If you don't get them, they'll find someone who will." Kiss my ass. When they start giving out commission for every card opened like other retailers, then I'll start asking guests if they want one.

I saw a cashier cry once because she was so overwhelmed and stressed about redcards. Target is all happy about the new "well-being" time off yet they fail to realize they are pushing their TM's in to having major meltdowns. That can't be good for your "well-being."

I saw a cashier cry once because she was so overwhelmed and stressed about redcards. Target is all happy about the new "well-being" time off yet they fail to realize they are pushing their TM's in to having major meltdowns. That can't be good for your "well-being."

Two cashiers have recently developed severe anxiety disorders that they now need medication for, and another had a full blown break down on register a few weeks ago. It's getting to be too much.

Those of us on the sales floor don't have it MUCH better, but they are so condensed up there that it's overwhelming.

Kiss my ass. When they start giving out commission for every card opened like other retailers, then I'll start asking guests if they want one.

Amen to this!! I get nothing while Target makes money off the the Target credit card. We've been offered Starbucks but I'm diabetic and can't drink all of that sugar and carbs, so No, thanks! I try and work the spiel in but only if it feels natural. I'm not going to ask every little old lady who can't even figure out how to swipe her debit card on the card reader.
I'd love to take an LOA and say it's from stress from the Redcard madness that's taken over Target culture.

Not really something to be thankful for, because it's a theory they are banking on as they coach the cashiers for not getting them.

They can coach for it, do CAs for it if they're so inclined, term for it...whatever. At some point, they won't be able to adequately staff the front end because corporate expectations don't match the compensation offered. Or, public backlash forces Target to rethink its pressure tactics. Heck, that's how starting pay got bumped to $9/hr. Target wasn't doing right by its employees until the public demanded that it do so!

Back