I'm Lost! The REDCard Thread

My advise, if you really want to get red cards, you don't ask the guest if they'll be putting that on a red card today. You don't ask them if they want a red card. That's just asking to get shot down with a simple no answer. If you try that and you get a no, you might as well just forget trying to change their mind. It's a wasted opportunity.

What you have to do is talk to them like they're your best friend about anything and everything while you're ringing up their items. What you're really selling is yourself without the guest realizing it. You need to make them feel comfortable with you so that when the time comes to sell them on the red card, they're more likely to listen to your advice and you make it sound like you're doing them a favor by setting them up with a card, not just trying to get a red card. If you can find a way to think about it and approach them with that mentality, then you'll get several per day.

You really just have to engage in genuine sincere conversation with the guest. It's best to really focus on the guests with lots of items so you can crack jokes about their kids, or the weather, or, anything for a while. Use that as an opportunity to break the ice and do anything you can do to make the guest laugh or smile. Share a couple similarities or goofy things about yourself while you're at it. Then when you're near the end of their order and if you feel you're clicking with the guest, you ask them if they shop at the store often. If they say yes ask them if they have a red card. If they say do shop often, and if they don't have one, tell them, "you know, you really should think about a red card. It only takes a couple of minutes, and you'll consistently save 5% off your bill every single time you shop at the store, you get free shipping on Target.com, there are a lot of really nice features on the card and you could be saving a lot of money in addition to coupons and cartwheel." You can elaborate from there. But the trick is to make them feel like you're trying to help them, not just get them signed up for a red card to help you.

It will take some practice and you'll still get shot down a lot, but if you keep at that and do it with everybody, you'll be pretty surprised how many you can get when you really start to get the hang of it. Whoever came up with the stupid "Will you be putting that on your red card today?" crap doesn't know the first thing about sales. I used that method above for the first 2 years I worked as a cashier and I always got about half the red cards at our store every day. I averaged about 8 red cards per shift and we are one of the lower volume stores in our district. I was still getting 3 to 5 a day when I switched to a cart attendant. Then I just stopped trying because I got sick of it. I get a freebee here and there when I cover breaks at Guest Service once in a while. But it works if you really want to get red cards, take my advice and try it for a while.

When a heaping cart came into my lane, I'd start with:
"Giiiiiiiiiirrrrrrl, TELL me you got a red card on you 'cause you can NOT pass that up!"
I'd do the math, telling them how much they'd save today & EVERY day, free shipping from .com, extended return time, stacking cartwheel & coupons, etc, etc as the total blows pass the $200 mark.

My advise, if you really want to get red cards, you don't ask the guest if they'll be putting that on a red card today. You don't ask them if they want a red card. That's just asking to get shot down with a simple no answer. If you try that and you get a no, you might as well just forget trying to change their mind. It's a wasted opportunity.

What you have to do is talk to them like they're your best friend about anything and everything while you're ringing up their items. What you're really selling is yourself without the guest realizing it. You need to make them feel comfortable with you so that when the time comes to sell them on the red card, they're more likely to listen to your advice and you make it sound like you're doing them a favor by setting them up with a card, not just trying to get a red card. If you can find a way to think about it and approach them with that mentality, then you'll get several per day.

You really just have to engage in genuine sincere conversation with the guest. It's best to really focus on the guests with lots of items so you can crack jokes about their kids, or the weather, or, anything for a while. Use that as an opportunity to break the ice and do anything you can do to make the guest laugh or smile. Share a couple similarities or goofy things about yourself while you're at it. Then when you're near the end of their order and if you feel you're clicking with the guest, you ask them if they shop at the store often. If they say yes ask them if they have a red card. If they say do shop often, and if they don't have one, tell them, "you know, you really should think about a red card. It only takes a couple of minutes, and you'll consistently save 5% off your bill every single time you shop at the store, you get free shipping on Target.com, there are a lot of really nice features on the card and you could be saving a lot of money in addition to coupons and cartwheel." You can elaborate from there. But the trick is to make them feel like you're trying to help them, not just get them signed up for a red card to help you.

It will take some practice and you'll still get shot down a lot, but if you keep at that and do it with everybody, you'll be pretty surprised how many you can get when you really start to get the hang of it. Whoever came up with the stupid "Will you be putting that on your red card today?" crap doesn't know the first thing about sales. I used that method above for the first 2 years I worked as a cashier and I always got about half the red cards at our store every day. I averaged about 8 red cards per shift and we are one of the lower volume stores in our district. I was still getting 3 to 5 a day when I switched to a cart attendant. Then I just stopped trying because I got sick of it. I get a freebee here and there when I cover breaks at Guest Service once in a while. But it works if you really want to get red cards, take my advice and try it for a while.

These are all good ideas. And if I cared more, I would give them a try.

But when I go to the store/grocery, I don't want the employees to "act" like my best friend to get me to get something. Just do your job competently. I don't want a dog and pony show.

Obligatory pointing out that cashiers do NOT get paid enough for this shit. Sorry, maybe I'm just an asshole, but I don't expect retail workers making $9/hour to be able to become best friends with the guest and really go through such emotional effort with every single person coming through their line, all just to sell them a credit card. Don't get me wrong, your advice is on point but one has to wonder if this charade is ever going to stop. Workers and guests/customers alike are bored and tired of being harassed at the checkout.

Obligatory pointing out that cashiers do NOT get paid enough for this shit. Sorry, maybe I'm just an asshole, but I don't expect retail workers making $9/hour to be able to become best friends with the guest and really go through such emotional effort with every single person coming through their line, all just to sell them a credit card. Don't get me wrong, your advice is on point but one has to wonder if this charade is ever going to stop. Workers and guests/customers alike are bored and tired of being harassed at the checkout.

Hey, I don't think you're an asshole at all. I completely agree with everything you said here. This is exactly why I flat out don't bother to do it anymore. I got sick of it. I just posted that advice because someone asked how to get them and I used to get tons of them. If you want red cards, this system worked for me very well. I should also have said that doing this will get you nothing back in return. All that happened to me was I got maybe a few free drinks at starbucks or free meals at target cafe. I got no benefits for my efforts. No boost in pay on my reviews, no bonuses, not a damn thing except a free drink or meal at target café. You got rewarded as a dog might be rewarded for going to the bathroom outside. It's pretty pathetic really. I think I was just stupid in doing it for so long and for believing that some day it might amount to something. Eventually nobody recognized any of my efforts unless I got around 9 or more cards in a day. Leadership would recognize team members who got 2 or 3 red cards and say nothing about the 7 or 8 cards I had.

@××TheDudexx had good advice on how to nail a RC, all except for calling it genuine. About the only genuine thing I said to any guest was "Your total is..." That and any conversation abouts guests' dogs--LOL.
Rest was all baloney to keep my score green about caring about what the guest was buying.

Another tip is for when the guest says no. I'd say fine, but I'll tell you about the benefits for maybe another time. Run through those and hype the free shipping. "Find something on clearance for $5, and you don't get stuck paying $7 in shipping. " Give them the pamphlet to sign up at home with your number on it. Even tell them to use your number to sign up because your job depends on it!

@××TheDudexx had good advice on how to nail a RC, all except for calling it genuine. About the only genuine thing I said to any guest was "Your total is..." That and any conversation abouts guests' dogs--LOL.
Rest was all baloney to keep my score green about caring about what the guest was buying.

Another tip is for when the guest says no. I'd say fine, but I'll tell you about the benefits for maybe another time. Run through those and hype the free shipping. "Find something on clearance for $5, and you don't get stuck paying $7 in shipping. " Give them the pamphlet to sign up at home with your number on it. Even tell them to use your number to sign up because your job depends on it!

They can use your number to sign up for the card so you get the credit for getting the card??

"Doesn't know crap about sales" this is true, but a lot of cashiers are 16-19 year olds and this is their first job. Of course they don't have any expierence or knowledge in sales and most people aren't natural born sales people. If Target wants their cashiers to be sales people then they need to hire people with expierence in sales and give commission instead of hiring high schoolers and college freshman at 9/ an hour.

They can use your number to sign up for the card so you get the credit for getting the card??

Yup! There is a pamphlet you can give to the guest. On the bottom is a part where you can put your employee number (and maybe your 1st name too) so that you get credit for the sign up. I would tell the guest that it helps me keep my job, which it did. Leadership knew by Monday or Tuesday the week immediately after the guest signed up, so you di get credit. I would get 1 or 2 RCs each week by doing this. You just have to guilt the guest into using your number when they signed up. I would tell them I didn't get a commission or bonus, butI did get to keep my job. That last part usually did the trick!

Your store's leadership should be making those pamphlets available to all TMs. Getting RCs is a store wide goal ( whether everyone owns it or not is 'nother matter).

As long as they don't use your TM# for discounts too.....

Yeah, I wouldn't give out my TM to anyone. I wish there was a code on the receipt the guest could use when signing up online to give the cashier the credit and maybe an extra $5 coupon for the guest for signing up online and using that code.

No...there is no place for a guest to enter a tm number when they apply. But it's a great way to get screwed if they start using it for your discount.

How did everyone in my store get credit for the at home sign ups then. This was individual recognition, not just the store getting credit for the sign up.

As long as they don't use your TM# for discounts too.....

Never had a problem with that at my store. I don't know that a guest would think to do that with an online order and in store the discount shouldn't be given without discount card.

How did everyone in my store get credit for the at home sign ups then. This was individual recognition, not just the store getting credit for the sign up.
There is no way they could have. If you go through the application, there is no place to put in a tm number. The only thing they do is pull the store that gets credit by the guest's zip code.

There is no way they could have. If you go through the application, there is no place to put in a tm number. The only thing they do is pull the store that gets credit by the guest's zip code.

That's what I thought too. If we bring a guest to guest services and the guest signs up on our ipad right then and there, we get the "credit". But that's the only way I know off.

That's what I thought too. If we bring a guest to guest services and the guest signs up on our ipad right then and there, we get the "credit". But that's the only way I know off.
Even then your store only gets the credit if their zip code is covered by your store. If it's a metro area and they live in a different zip code with a different Target...well...the other store thanks you!

Even then your store only gets the credit if their zip code is covered by your store. If it's a metro area and they live in a different zip code with a different Target...well...the other store thanks you!

Yep! Some people don't know this though and think the store gets the credit regardless of where they live.

Yep! Some people don't know this though and think the store gets the credit regardless of where they live.
This is why my little ULV store had a higher weekly red card goal than the AA store 3 miles from us. They only had one zip code, and we had probably 5 or 6.

I usually try to say as much as I can in one sentence so that they don't have time to stop me and they HAVE to listen to everything I have to say before denying me loool

Back