I'm Lost! The REDCard Thread

I just got hired about a month ago, but have been on vacation for the past week and a half. Of course, everyone is on me about RedCards when I come back because I haven't gotten a single one yet. I like to think that I'm a good cashier, but it all falls short when my conversion rate is basically... zero. I'm only 17 and I'm working as a cashier for two more months until I leave for school. I'm stressed about the Redcards and it's putting a damper on my summer while I'm missing out on spending time with friends and also doing an internship. I'm considering putting in two weeks notice but I feel like that might be a little hasty.

Last edited:
Good lord, if this is only a summer job do not sweat it. As for the other stuff, do you need the $? Are you going on LOA for school or just out-and-out quitting?

Good lord, if this is only a summer job do not sweat it. As for the other stuff, do you need the $? Are you going on LOA for school or just out-and-out quitting?

I think I'm just stressed because it is my first job and having the GSAs/GSTLs on my back about it is freaking me out a bit. I don't need the money. It's mostly just to have some extra cash and gain some experience. When I was hired, they told me if I had to leave for school I would need to come back during the next summer as well as the winter holiday season so I won't be quitting when school starts.

I feel like this is the appropriate time to make my usual disclosure:

YOU CANNOT BE FIRED OR HELD ACCOUNTABLE IN ANY WAY FOR NOT GETTING REDCARDS AS A CASHIER!!!

However, you can be fired for:
-not asking every single solitary guest
-not asking the way your store wants (ex. if they want you to mention it again after a guest says no or mention something else)
-using fake information in order to get a guest to apply or knowingly using fake information to apply

As far as I go, as long as I see a team member trying their best, even if they don't ask the elderly woman buying bananas, I will not coach them.

After all the numerous times a specific cashier asked while grinning if I wanted a REDcard I finally went online and grabbed one. I suppose I should check to see how this cashier can be credited for that?

After all the numerous times a specific cashier asked while grinning if I wanted a REDcard I finally went online and grabbed one. I suppose I should check to see how this cashier can be credited for that?
they can't the only way we can be credited is if we sign you up in store. in fact, if another store is closer to your house, your store didn't even get credit. lesson to everyone: if you like your team, sign up in your store.

they can't the only way we can be credited is if we sign you up in store. in fact, if another store is closer to your house, your store didn't even get credit. lesson to everyone: if you like your team, sign up in your store.
*sigh* oh well. Lesson learned. I am fairly close to my store; I am within the 3-mile demographic so does that mean it will be credited in general?

*sigh* oh well. Lesson learned. I am fairly close to my store; I am within the 3-mile demographic so does that mean it will be credited in general?
it's just straight up closest store (i'm 98% sure, can someone confirm?). your store will get credit but no specific cashier (it will count toward store weekly/yearly goals)

it's just straight up closest store. your store will get credit but no specific cashier (it will count toward store weekly/yearly goals)
Well, at least the credit will go to us. Thanks! Didn't know about the in-store only aspect which tells you how frequently I hit the registers

it's just straight up closest store (i'm 98% sure, can someone confirm?). your store will get credit but no specific cashier (it will count toward store weekly/yearly goals)
Yes, closest store but it depends also on zip code. Not sure how they determine that though.

There are only three stores in your city and one is really far west. So I figure your store got the credit

Last edited:
I think I'm just stressed because it is my first job and having the GSAs/GSTLs on my back about it is freaking me out a bit. I don't need the money. It's mostly just to have some extra cash and gain some experience. When I was hired, they told me if I had to leave for school I would need to come back during the next summer as well as the winter holiday season so I won't be quitting when school starts.

Just make sure you're asking the guest. Your GSTLs/GSAs usually just want to make sure you're doing that. Also if you think you're under pressure to get RedCards, ask to borrow your GSTLs walkie and listen to the LOD harass them over and over about RCs lol . I'm a GSTL in a store that has a goal of 45 a day (we been red due to getting a bunch of SCO registers, so that goal is growing). It's annoying and we do feel for the cashiers. Our cashiers try their best and know how pressured their leaders are for RCs. To be honest, the product sucks and that's why it takes a hard push to sell them. Every GSTL we had that moved to a different work center are so relieved.

I feel like this is the appropriate time to make my usual disclosure:

YOU CANNOT BE FIRED OR HELD ACCOUNTABLE IN ANY WAY FOR NOT GETTING REDCARDS AS A CASHIER!!!

However, you can be fired for:
-not asking every single solitary guest
-not asking the way your store wants (ex. if they want you to mention it again after a guest says no or mention something else)
-using fake information in order to get a guest to apply or knowingly using fake information to apply

As far as I go, as long as I see a team member trying their best, even if they don't ask the elderly woman buying bananas, I will not coach them.

This is 100% true. I do the same also. If I see my cashiers trying and asking I let them know I see them trying and just keep it up. I'll just deal with the annoying LOD crying we need 30 RCs before the closures come in

I'm hoping you just mistyped that and you mean 45 a week....:eek:

Nope. 50 on weekends :p

Our goal is so ridiculous that (I won't say what specific place), but we were in the top 5 for Red Cards in the entire company last year and we still ended Red in lieu of green for the year lol, picture that!

Didn't get as much as requisitioned sodas for that accomplishment either go figure.

Nope. 50 on weekends :p

Our goal is so ridiculous that (I won't say what specific place), but we were in the top 5 for Red Cards in the entire company last year and we still ended Red in lieu of green for the year lol, picture that!

Didn't get as much as requisitioned sodas for that accomplishment either go figure.
Wow...that's nuts. We have that goal per week and never hit it. And we are a SuperSpot (no idea if we are AA or whatever) that is quite busy. I only know that's our goal because it's written on the daily summary sheet that gets posted in the TSC. Working 0/n we never hear about red cards.

Wow...that's nuts. We have that goal per week and never hit it. And we are a SuperSpot (no idea if we are AA or whatever) that is quite busy. I only know that's our goal because it's written on the daily summary sheet that gets posted in the TSC. Working 0/n we never hear about red cards.

Well looks like I'm putting in a transfer to your store lol

I'm a GSA at a high volume Super Target and I'm curious to know what other GSA/GSTL's do to drive Redcards. My store does little games for the cashiers to participate in if they get a Redcard during their shift and I want to find new ways that will motivate the team.

I'm a GSA at a high volume Super Target and I'm curious to know what other GSA/GSTL's do to drive Redcards. My store does little games for the cashiers to participate in if they get a Redcard during their shift and I want to find new ways that will motivate the team.

There are many threads about this on the leadership board but my two cents.

A) you can requisition stuff, which backfires when they start expecting you to get them something when they do their job.

B) You can genuinely recognize the person or pull them aside to let them know how great they are doing. I think this always goes a long way. Doesnt hurt to let them know how they are doing compared to last year, setting goals and even competing with other stores in the district.

Ps: All the doing push ups or yelling over the walkie usually pisses team members off. Gsas are very polarizing from my experience they are either excellent leaders, cheerleaders or suck ups to the etls.

We are currently doing teams with groups of 4 to see who can get the most red cards. The team hates this because they argue the teams are unfair, their team doesn't have enough hours. This person quit. Blah blah blah

Last edited:
This has never been implemented in my store, but I think 5 extra minutes on break would be a good prize. Sometimes we break the cashiers into "teams" with one GSA/GSTL as the leader for each team. Which ever team gets the most red cards gets a prize. I like that idea because I think it makes people encourage one another, rather than just having to hear it from your boss.

Whatever you do, just commit to it. I hate when we plan all these contests and incentives, but no one seems to actually care about it, and they just get forgotten.

We don't do a lot of games tbh. Recently we had a "every red card gets a ticket" kind of deal where you got a ticket with every red card that went into the hat and at the end of the set time period, one name would be drawn for a rather generous gift. Usually it's the person who is lucky to get one that ends up the winner which sorta sucks.

Do you guys think they will ever stop pushing as hard for them? They've been out for years. I feel like everyone who really wants one has gotten one. I mean we should still advertise but I don't think we need to have these "you need to be hounding every single guest to get one and if they have one ask them if they want another" type thing to meet this crazy goal. I really don't get why Target is so obsessed with them.

Today I was pulled off the lanes by 3 different GSTLs and was told I need to push more for them and try harder. Not once have I been talked to or asked about any other aspects of cashiering (speed, bagging, general friendliness etc). Only "oh you're new? Nice to meet you how many red cards have you gotten"

It's gotten to the point where cashiers who have been there for a long time will try to get me to sign up for a red card, while we're both on a register, even after I tell them I have one already.

I just can't ask again after people say no. I usually ask "will you be saving 5% with your red card today?" And after the "no thanks" I say "would you like to? It's totally free and just like a regular old debit card except you get the extra benefit of the 5% off" after I hear no again, I stop. Obviously they don't want one. But I was told I am not pushing enough and I need to be talking about it the entire transaction :( I really don't want to be annoying lol

Okay I didn't mean for this to be a rant lol. I guess I was just wondering if anyone thought this crazy pressure will ever lighten up. It's literally the only thing I don't enjoy about my job because I feel I can never do a good job in this aspect, and it's the only thing anyone pays attention to

Back