I'm Lost! The REDCard Thread

Earlier today I overheard GSTL coaching (not in a disciplinary way) a TM on prompts to sell RCs to the guests. One if the comments he made was "it's not a credit card". It was the end of the GSTLs shift and the start of mine so I couldn't follow up in the moment.

Say what? I mean, yeah, it's not a Visa or MasterCard. But it is a line of credit.

Anyone else hearing this one at their stores that can explain?
I always say “it’s a credit card that you can only use at Target”. Aka a Charge Card. When people hear credit they think visa MC so that’s why I say what I do

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I'm getting really fed up with guests who claim that their RedCard doesn't have a PIN. Today, I had a guest whose card says that they signed up for their RedCard in 2012, but they've always needed a PIN right? Or was the PIN a new feature that was added to the RedCard after the Target hacking incident? I always tell guests that they should have entered a PIN when they signed up for their RedCard no matter when they signed up, but I just want to make sure I'm not disseminating false information.

Thats a great chance to be very straightforward telling the guests red cards requires a pin every transaction if you forgot you can always call the back of the card or we can set up another new red card so you can get all the benefits of the updated red card plus you know better new look/design. Lol

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I'm getting really fed up with guests who claim that their RedCard doesn't have a PIN. Today, I had a guest whose card says that they signed up for their RedCard in 2012, but they've always needed a PIN right? Or was the PIN a new feature that was added to the RedCard after the Target hacking incident? I always tell guests that they should have entered a PIN when they signed up for their RedCard no matter when they signed up, but I just want to make sure I'm not disseminating false information.
Thats a great chance to be very straightforward telling the guests red cards requires a pin every transaction if you forgot you can always call the back of the card or we can set up another new red card so you can get all the benefits of the updated red card plus you know better new look/design. Lol
ALL active redcards are chip and pin. if they forgot it just have them call the number on the back of the card. automated system resets it and it takes 20 seconds. I usually say "try a pin you usually use" and 8/10 times it works

The target Debit always had a pin. The Target credit both mastercard and store credit gained pin after the hacking.
I have had many swear they have never set up a pin. I always ask them to try with the 4 digit pin they would have set up if asked. 80% of the time it works first try. If it doesn't I ask if they have a secondary pin they often use and if so to try that one. That works for about 20% of the 20% who didn't get it on the first try. I don't ask them to try a 3rd but suggest they call and get it reset.

Anyone who didn't have a pin when they received their chip card was asked to call in to activate and during the activation process they set up a pin. If truly they never set one up then that means they put the card in their wallet and never activated the card.

I usually say "try a pin you usually use" and 8/10 times it works
I had one of those 20%. A guest couldn't remember her pin and was talking about how ridiculous it was to have all these numbers to memorize. I suggested she use the same pin that she would use to get money out of an ATM and that just got her more aggravated because she can't use an ATM due to not remembering her pin because there's too many numbers to remember, and one machine seized her card due to her putting the wrong number in too many times.

Oh my god how do you get through life being such an idiot you can’t even remember the PIN you actively chose. I know my memory is terrible so I do the dumb thing and use the same PIN for all of my cards and the same sequence of numbers is even all my passcodes but for real to be literally incapable of using an ATM because you can’t be bothered to use your brain at all is a new level

I like when people write their PIN on the back of the card. I once found and turned in a wallet that was full of cash and cards with the PINs written on them...Mr. Robert W. Jones may have got lucky that time but I’m sure he lost it again and this time his wallet was found by someone less honest smart and went on a spending spree

Most guests who want debit don't carry checks. They can look up the routing number and account number from their bank app or web site. Why can't our terminals be "modernized" so they can apply using this info?

Most guests who want debit don't carry checks. They can look up the routing number and account number from their bank app or web site. Why can't our terminals be "modernized" so they can apply using this info?
Would be nice. I can see this perhaps maybe happening in the future as this is how the guest applies for a debit card on the website.

They tried something like that in certain stores about 7 years ago and discontinued the test. There was probably a lot of fraud. But that was a long time ago.

How do you respond to guests who respond about their airline rewards cards? In my store I'd guess 1 in 4 purchases uses one of those.... I just say thank you and move on with scanning and ringing up the sale, what about the rest of you? I've been good at redcard signups overall....

I don't know that much about airline points, but would they still get those points if they used that card to pay the red card balance? If so, that's the route I would take, 5% plus getting those points.

They tried something like that in certain stores about 7 years ago and discontinued the test. There was probably a lot of fraud. But that was a long time ago.

Yeah, I'm guessing fraud issues. At least when people apply at home, Target has their IP address.

I had a guest about two weeks ago who still had an old (magnetic stripe) Redcard. I asked her if she had her new card with her, and she said that she never received one. I advised her that the old cards were replaced in 2015, and all old cards were deactivated at that time, but she insisted on trying it anyway. The results were...predictable. Has anyone else still had guests presenting the old cards? (BTW, she did apply again, but got the requires further review slip, which makes me think that she was sent a new card, and just misplaced it.)

How do you respond to guests who respond about their airline rewards cards? In my store I'd guess 1 in 4 purchases uses one of those.... I just say thank you and move on with scanning and ringing up the sale, what about the rest of you? I've been good at redcard signups overall....
I'd do some research and figure out how it compares to 5% off.
I don't know that much about airline points, but would they still get those points if they used that card to pay the red card balance? If so, that's the route I would take, 5% plus getting those points.
You usually can't use a credit card to pay off a credit card for this reason (and others).

I think I've convinced my friend to get a red card but he doesn't have any checks. Anyone know if there is still a way to get a red debit card?

Can't do it. They only get points if they run the card as a credit, and you have to pay with debit to pay down your RedCard balance. I thought of that one early on.

I had a guest about two weeks ago who still had an old (magnetic stripe) Redcard. I asked her if she had her new card with her, and she said that she never received one. I advised her that the old cards were replaced in 2015, and all old cards were deactivated at that time, but she insisted on trying it anyway. The results were...predictable. Has anyone else still had guests presenting the old cards? (BTW, she did apply again, but got the requires further review slip, which makes me think that she was sent a new card, and just misplaced it.)
Whenever a guest tries to uses an (old) redcard and insists they never received a new chip one, I ask if they've moved in the past few years. Mail envelopes with replacement cards are labeled "do not forward".

Whenever a guest tries to uses an (old) redcard and insists they never received a new chip one, I ask if they've moved in the past few years. Mail envelopes with replacement cards are labeled "do not forward".
I had not considered that. I shall have to remember to ask that if it occurs again

Back