I'm Lost! The REDCard Thread

At this time, our store's focus is "loyalty" numbers - increasing the percentage of guests using Circle or Redcard. Pressure to "move the iron" with guests on Redcards will resume, unless the focus becomes more towards increasing Circle penetration as an alternative. IMHO while not everybody will want Circle, pushing usage of Circle as a loyalty tool involves far less friction with guests than pushing/selling the Redcard, though I definitely enjoy teaching guests the key benefits of Redcard usage. P.S. This year is the 25th anniversary of Target's Redcard fka Guest Card 🧡

We are hitting (and usually passing) our red card goal each week but I’d guess that 80% are from online apps. Not too many people sign up in store because most want the debit card and no one carries paper checks with them anymore. We aren’t pushing red cards as much as we are pushing loyalty. When telling guests about Circle you just promote how they can link their red card inside the app so they don’t need to actually carry an extra card with them.

I have the RedCard and use it for almost every transaction but I can get guests more excited about Circle and the added benefits of using it than I can over the card.

I have the RedCard and use it for almost every transaction but I can get guests more excited about Circle and the added benefits of using it than I can over the card.
That is my observation as well. Target wins either way: the company gets more information about the buyer's personal buying habits. Americans have become comfortable with loyalty programs, unlike consumers in other areas of the world (such as Germany) where many people resist these programs due to privacy concerns.

That is my observation as well. Target wins either way: the company gets more information about the buyer's personal buying habits. Americans have become comfortable with loyalty programs, unlike consumers in other areas of the world (such as Germany) where many people resist these programs due to privacy concerns.
If you think about it, what can they really do with your data that will affect you? I use adblock on every device I have, I honestly forgotten what ads look like. I can control my spending, so I can only see them being able to give me Circle offers on stuff I'm already buying. The user is the real winner in this situation.

In other news: Apparently the new MasterCard REDCard is now contactless. Hopefully they do this with all of them!

One guest I pitched said she wasn’t getting a new RedCard because we automatically switched her to a MC RedCard. Now, because of that,she didn’t want to hear anything about the debit card either. :mad:

I love wallet. One of the better things Target has done.
I could not agree more. I was super skeptical when they originally did wallet instead of supporting Apple Pay bc Walmart’s implementation is so bad... but it’s actually perfect.

Truly I would not make any changes. One Tap Apple Pay for redcard plus target circle/™ discount would be nice but I have to go into target app to add offers anyways.

I think I can say with certainty that the target app, and especially wallet, is targets best piece of technology

now if only they put half as much time into developing the other software...

Yes it is. I have the Target debit card. Sometimes at the end of the week I have way too many target debit transactions in my checkbook!
When I first got hired I think I bought something every day for months, lol. Still make several purchases a week.

I really like my redcard. The only thing though is because transactions take a couple days to go through your bank, it can make it tough to keep track of your spending. But the Target app shows all your in store purchases now, which makes it easier.

By the way, speaking of the Target app, I really hope they take advantage of this new feature called App Clips. You point your phone to an NFC tag and it brings up a mini version of an app. Guests could hypothetically use it to order things online if they’re out of stock. Like a bookshelf display could have a NFC tag, and the guest can just order it by pointing their phone.

By the way, speaking of the Target app, I really hope they take advantage of this new feature called App Clips. You point your phone to an NFC tag and it brings up a mini version of an app. Guests could hypothetically use it to order things online if they’re out of stock. Like a bookshelf display could have a NFC tag, and the guest can just order it by pointing their phone.

Hope they do it with the self checkout remote they have been working on.

Oh is that like one of those self service scanning apps where you can take your items and scan as you go? Similar to the apps Wegmans and Stop and Shop have?

‎Wegmans SCAN - https://apps.apple.com/us/app/wegmans-scan/id1445167172

Yes I know it could lead to more theft, but I know some people who would avoid Target or Walmart because of the lines
I doubt target will ever implement that. it's easier at a grocery store with less high value items. just WAY too risky with what we sell plus it would mean random receipt checks which isn't "brand"

I doubt target will ever implement that. it's easier at a grocery store with less high value items. just WAY too risky with what we sell plus it would mean random receipt checks which isn't "brand"
That’s all true, but Apple stores have had something similar for years, no receipt checks or anything. But I guess they have a ton of money too, they make Target look like the dollar menu, they can afford some theft here and there.

That’s all true, but Apple stores have had something similar for years, no receipt checks or anything. But I guess they have a ton of money too, they make Target look like the dollar menu, they can afford some theft here and there.
Yes-- but nothing of super high value works with that. Like they're not leaving iPads and Mac Pros out for people to scan. It's just for accessories and stuff.

Target was among the last to get SCO because it wasn't brand so. . . .
Meijer has similar mdse to a SuperT, and has been using this system for a few years. You go to SCO, scan a code, and your order populates onscreen. There is also a lane with terminals that are exclusively for this, so no waiting. Someone comes and randomly scans a couple of items from your order, and checks ID if necessary for alcohol. If you use Apple pay, or other virtual wallet, completely contactless. Works great.

That is too much customer trust, to let them scan things themselves. They could "forget" to scan, or scan a (lower priced) barcode again "on accident" for the item count.

Even the cart sensors are too much risk. Will they really be looking for small items put inside other boxes before being put in the cart?

Um the registers in the check lanes only do coupons on individual items .
Correct. It’s annoying but it means that when guests return things, the correct amount will be given back to them. You should have a backup scan sheet for redcard in case system goes down.

Back