The Things Guests Do/Pet Peeves Thread

I've only been SF TM in my store for about a month so I'm not sure if this is a regular thing, but when I go to back up at register and it's calmed down and time for me to go, the GSA/LOD will turn my light off for me. Theu[They] then get in line behind the last person who walked up when the light is still on, and announce kindly to anyone that comes up after they arrive that the lane is closed. They usually don't get anyone walking up though, because they turn their back to me/the cashier and face any incoming customers. That usually gets the message across loud and clear.

I thought that was a pretty nice touch.

edit: To add that they also do this for cashiers who are scheduled for a break/meal or are about to be done with their shift.
We had a GSA that would do that and actually had guests try to duck under his arm.

I've only been SF TM in my store for about a month so I'm not sure if this is a regular thing, but when I go to back up at register and it's calmed down and time for me to go, the GSA/LOD will turn my light off for me. Theu[They] then get in line behind the last person who walked up when the light is still on, and announce kindly to anyone that comes up after they arrive that the lane is closed. They usually don't get anyone walking up though, because they turn their back to me/the cashier and face any incoming customers. That usually gets the message across loud and clear.

I thought that was a pretty nice touch.

edit: To add that they also do this for cashiers who are scheduled for a break/meal or are about to be done with their shift.

We had a GSA that would do that and actually had guests try to duck under his arm.

I did that for a newbie who I was training and one lady got pissed off and said that I needed a sign.. I am the sign.

Guests that say nothing when I ask paper or plastic, then walk to the ATM while I'm ringing, come 2 minutes later seeing that I've bagged everything in plastic and say: "Could I have paper instead?"

Really?

When I ask paper or plastic, *that's* when you tell me what kind of bags you want. :rolleyes::mad: Lordy.

And the usual service desk shit today - the hit & run exchanges where they holler out I'mgonnaleavethisrighthereandI'llberightback and throw a bag or two just anywhere and I'm already speaking with a guest and want to pretend I didn't notice and send their return out for reshop but know that I can't.

Also guests who are getting soda on sale and go up to the one cashier with a wrist brace on and stand there. She's great though, she'll say hi and ask how they're doing then ask how she can help them today. They'll inevitably say "we have 12 sodas" (or 4 or 36 or whatever) and she'll say "Awesome" and smile really big. And they'll all be standing there and the guest finally says something stupid like do you have to ring them up. (I about die at this point) and she's all "Oh yes, I'll have to ring everything up if you want to buy those" and they're like, okay we have 12 sodas and take one out, the Diet Coke. And she says "Okay, you have 12 Diet Coke?" and they say "No, just one" and she patiently says well, did you want to ring up the other ones separately? and I'm about peeing on myself because is this their first time ever shopping? I mean, who goes to a store and just stands there like a statue? Goddamn, those people piss me off. She's injured and can't fucking carry things and we shouldn't have to empty their damn cart anyway. Ugh, soda people are idiots.

Oh, um, yeah, wall of text. Today kinda brought out the stupids.

And the usual service desk shit today - the hit & run exchanges where they holler out I'mgonnaleavethisrighthereandI'llberightback and throw a bag or two just anywhere and I'm already speaking with a guest and want to pretend I didn't notice and send their return out for reshop but know that I can't.

Also guests who are getting soda on sale and go up to the one cashier with a wrist brace on and stand there. She's great though, she'll say hi and ask how they're doing then ask how she can help them today. They'll inevitably say "we have 12 sodas" (or 4 or 36 or whatever) and she'll say "Awesome" and smile really big. And they'll all be standing there and the guest finally says something stupid like do you have to ring them up. (I about die at this point) and she's all "Oh yes, I'll have to ring everything up if you want to buy those" and they're like, okay we have 12 sodas and take one out, the Diet Coke. And she says "Okay, you have 12 Diet Coke?" and they say "No, just one" and she patiently says well, did you want to ring up the other ones separately? and I'm about peeing on myself because is this their first time ever shopping? I mean, who goes to a store and just stands there like a statue? Goddamn, those people piss me off. She's injured and can't fucking carry things and we shouldn't have to empty their damn cart anyway. Ugh, soda people are idiots.

That reminds me of a time this enormously fat man was buying various 12 packs of soda on food stamps, and he was whining about having to put them on the belt because they were all different sodas. Dude, you needed the exercise, now help me ring up your free soda!

I don't fold their clothes. I try my best to not wad them up if I like the guest but I'm not a laundry service. I'll handle breakables with the utmost care, but clothing, not so much.

The two guests walking side by side as if out on a Sunday stroll blocking the entire frikin' main aisle to the point no one can pass then glare at you as you say "skuze me" and squeeze pass but still continue to block it all as if it was designed for their sole use and pleasure.

Also run-on sentences.

We had a cashier that was obviously pregnant and asked a guest to lift something up on the belt for her ( I think it was soda - it's been awhile). The guest's comment, "Oh, you want me to do your job for you?" in a very sarcastic tone of voice.

We had a cashier that was obviously pregnant and asked a guest to lift something up on the belt for her ( I think it was soda - it's been awhile). The guest's comment, "Oh, you want me to do your job for you?" in a very sarcastic tone of voice.

I have tendonitis in my thumb and I've asked a few people to take a few things off the belt for me... got a few weird looks.. And I'm wearing a splint :-/

Icky. Glad I had the nice ones when I was backup and still fighting the shoulder problem. Every guest that I told I had an injury gladly helped with the heavy stuff.

Honestly, if someone gets upset over having to assist your cashier who's visibly injured or pregnant they need to reevaluate their mental state immediately.

I'm sure the majority of these are already in the thread, but...

-Guests who wait until they are next in line to scan EACH INDIVIDUAL ITEM on Cartwheel, then place the items on the belt one by one.
-Guests that sit their baskets down and expect the cashier to empty it.
-Guests who LEAVE THEIR CART AT THE REGISTER!!! What are you doing?!?!?
-Guests who come into the store and immediately ask the first person they see, "Do you know where (insert basic item that requires minimal search) is?"
-Guests who give me attitude when my light is clearly off and I say "Sorry ma'am/sir, I'm closed."
-"Can you price check this for me?" We have multiple price-checking machines located around the store.
-Scammers who want to argue with me and create a huge scene.
-Coupon scammers. Get a life.
-Guests who come up to me to check out while I am on the phone with another guest. There are a thousand checklanes open.
-Guests who CUT OTHER GUESTS IN LINE?!? Do you not have eyes??????
-Guests who argue with me about the price of something when it clearly says on the Zebra/MyDevice what the price is.
-Guests who bring up sale signs from the floor to "prove" that a certain item is a certain price.

-Guests who wait until they are next in line to scan EACH INDIVIDUAL ITEM on Cartwheel, then place the items on the belt one by one.
I have to say that I try to make sure that I've already checked cartwheel before I get to the register. I'm pretty sure I would have done this even if I hadn't worked for Target for close to 8 yrs. My Mom always raised us kids to be considerate to others. She had worked retail herself before she married my Dad.

I have to say that I try to make sure that I've already checked cartwheel before I get to the register. I'm pretty sure I would have done this even if I hadn't worked for Target for close to 8 yrs. My Mom always raised us kids to be considerate to others. She had worked retail herself before she married my Dad.
Right... that's how my parents raised us too!! Sooo inconsiderate, and it doesn't take any special experience to realize that!!

THIS. I had someone bring up a sign for a game and tried to get a cheaper price.. that was ~$15 less... pointed at the sign and said that's for the item(s) listed.. she turned red.. said oh.. and left
I've gotten several lately at GS where they said the sign on the shelf was different from the amount charged. What did the sign say? I don't know, I thought you would. Um, I go by the amount I scan. Not making the price adjustment if they don't know what they saw.

I scan everything as I put it in my cart, I can't imagine waiting until the literal last second like these people do. Or they don't even open the app until im done scanning everything and surprise, it won't load. Just wanna tell these people have the app ready to go and your crap scanned before you get in line

Any of a number of reasons why they have to leave and come back and ask us to hold their shit for an hour or two, then never show up, leaving me with book shelves, end tables, clothing, etc, for reshop at closing time morning.

I've gotten several lately at GS where they said the sign on the shelf was different from the amount charged. What did the sign say? I don't know, I thought you would. Um, I go by the amount I scan. Not making the price adjustment if they don't know what they saw.

Or having to call another TM (assuming they answer) to check said price.

Back