Archived The true impact of shrink

Status
Not open for further replies.

redcardroy

ETL-AP
I was explained this by someone who specializes in retail loss prevention. I think it's a good way to show AP and non-AP tm's how important it is to work together to reduce shrink.

TLDR: For every dollar of shrink, it takes about $34 of revenue (sales) to make up for the loss on Target's books.

Here's why:

Every public company has an income statement that describes what happens to every dollar of revenue (sales) that comes into the company.

Here's a very simple condensed income statement...

upload_2017-5-27_10-39-16.png

In this ^ example, the company generated $100 in revenue. Of that, the company's immediate cost to purchase the merchandise was $50, so the gross profit (revenue - cost of goods sold) is the other $50. Once you subtract the operating expenses (administration, rent, utilities, upkeep, etc.), you're left with $10 (known as "income from operations"). Then after you subtract for non-operating expenses such as interest/amortization expenses, you're left with a grand total of $5. That means for every dollar that you generated in revenue, you only made 5% of it by the time all your expenses were paid. This would mean that if you lose cash or something with the cash equivalent of $100, you would need to generate 20x (100/5) that loss in the form of revenue to make up for the $100 loss in net income. So that means you need to make $2,000 in revenue just to make up for the $100 loss in net income. And that's assuming all your net income is cash (whereas in the real world, it's often credit, credit that you haven't collected yet). Now realistically, a 5% net profit margin is a little too generous for a retail company. Target's net profit margin over the last 6 years is more like 2.9%. That would give us a multiple of 34.48 (100/2.9) instead of 20.

I care. But when you want stuff set on time regardless of backups, helping guests, 4x4, etc, something has to give. And the prime example is electronics this week. No where in the best practices does it state that every piece of merchandise in the aisle I'm setting has to be on a locking peghooks, spiderwrapped, and blister tagged.

I care. But when you want stuff set on time regardless of backups, helping guests, 4x4, etc, something has to give. And the prime example is electronics this week. No where in the best practices does it state that every piece of merchandise in the aisle I'm setting has to be on a locking peghooks, spiderwrapped, and blister tagged.

You make a good point. Every store has a different AP culture because not every store faces the same AP issues. Some stores get lots of pushouts. Some stores get lots of opportunistic lifters. Some stores are in an area that has a meth problem. Some stores have serious operational deficiencies. Some stores have major internal theft problems. Because there's so much room for variation, every store is encouraged to make their own shrink plan within reason.

Target makes millions so most non-ap Don't Care

I care to an extent. We are judged on reducing the shortage culture. I am willing to shut down a scammer, report theft and logout equipment out of personal responsibility.

But a lot of that comes from personal pride rather than feeling the need to help the company save money. They waste it in so many ways that sometimes it's hard to feel sorry for them.

Last edited:
They should care. Money doesn't grow on trees. Target is in not so good shape right now because of sales. One big remedy is watching your shrink. Let's not forget how quickly Target had to discontinue operations in Canada.

This is the AP spiel that bugs the crap out of me. If the company was serious about stopping shortage they would better utilize our TPS. Not get rid of investigators and empower tms who catch external theft.

Target Canada failed because of crappy leadership and planning, had nothing to do with team members

This is the AP spiel that bugs the crap out of me. If the company was serious about stopping shortage they would better utilize our TPS. Not get rid of investigators and empower tms who catch external theft.

Target Canada failed because of crappy leadership and planning, had nothing to do with team members

Youre exactly right. I realize that last sentence gave the wrong impression. I'm not blaming the discontinued operation on team members, I was only making the point that large businesses can be here one day and gone the next.

Now how much shrink comes from AP related issues? Theft can't possibly be where most shrink comes from. I remember thinking it was so strange that Target doesn't simply return cold food products back where they belong like in a case where a guest didn't want them while checking out or something. Technically, food can be put back for sale as long as it hasn't left the store or gone out of temperature.

Now how much shrink comes from AP related issues? Theft can't possibly be where most shrink comes from. I remember thinking it was so strange that Target doesn't simply return cold food products back where they belong like in a case where a guest didn't want them while checking out or something. Technically, food can be put back for sale as long as it hasn't left the store or gone out of temperature.

Probably just the risk of not knowing how long its been out. If I'm not mistaken, the rule is after 30 min perishable foods are not to be sold.

Now how much shrink comes from AP related issues? Theft can't possibly be where most shrink comes from.

It depends on the individual store, but overall... external theft isn't the biggest part of shrink. That's why AP doesn't just focus on shoplifting. We try to address shrink/shortage through externals, internals, and procedural things like auditing CRC, doing our perpetual inventory counts, finding un-located boxes of merchandise in the back room, ensuring that team members are following policy, etc etc.

A smart and valuable AP team member will find ways to address these process-related problems and strive to impact sales as well.

Technically, food can be put back for sale as long as it hasn't left the store or gone out of temperature.

The general rule at my store is that if the item has enough condensation on it to cause droplets on the bottle/packaging, then it needs to be defected. Depends on the item as well, but it's always safer just to defect it if you're not sure how long it's been out.

They should care. Money doesn't grow on trees. Target is in not so good shape right now because of sales. One big remedy is watching your shrink. Let's not forget how quickly Target had to discontinue operations in Canada.
No they shouldn't. Most of Targets loses come from damaging out perfectly fine items, making the guest happy because the 20 bucks shirt was on a 5 dollar rack, taking bullshit returns and more

In some stores external theft is a huge part of shrink, but in most stores it's not. With bare minimum staff levels, poor technology, and in some cases poor training, I would contribute most of the loss to operational.

I've seen some AP teams attempt to compensate the lack of AP coverage in the store by basically merch protecting everything. In most cases the burden falls on the non-AP people to do that work. As someone who worked in those non-AP roles prior I realize that its not only unfair, but also unrealistic. There simply isn't enough payroll for it.

Jb08045, here's Target's net income after extraordinary items from 2013 through 2016 (in billions)...
3B 1.97B (1.64B) 3.36B 2.74B

The (1.64B) means Target lost $1.64B after the $4B write off of Target Canada.
While that might lead someone to conclude Target is rolling in dough, it's only one measure of a company's performance, and it's not that impactful. For example, Amazon has reported very low net income figures as a % of revenue (between 0-2%). In fact, Amazon hardly makes any money year over year after all expenses are paid. What keeps investors interested is their massive cash flows.

If you look at Target's overall financial shape, they aren't doing very well. Just because they pocketed 2.74 billion last year doesn't tell you anything. How much of an investment did it take to make 2.74 billion? What was the opportunity cost of that investment? That's why a statement like "Target makes millions who cares" is a bit childish.

I'd be curious of the amount of losses Target incurs due to damaged or excess product. I'm pretty sure our supply chain and DC's are costing us quite a bit of money.

Jb08045, here's Target's net income after extraordinary items from 2013 through 2016 (in billions)...
3B 1.97B (1.64B) 3.36B 2.74B

The (1.64B) means Target lost $1.64B after the $4B write off of Target Canada.
While that might lead someone to conclude Target is rolling in dough, it's only one measure of a company's performance, and it's not that impactful. For example, Amazon has reported very low net income figures as a % of revenue (between 0-2%). In fact, Amazon hardly makes any money year over year after all expenses are paid. What keeps investors interested is their massive cash flows.

If you look at Target's overall financial shape, they aren't doing very well. Just because they pocketed 2.74 billion last year doesn't tell you anything. How much of an investment did it take to make 2.74 billion? What was the opportunity cost of that investment? That's why a statement like "Target makes millions who cares" is a bit childish.
How much Kool aid are they making you drink? Target loves to go one about the millions they get to charity a month so yes, they make millions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back